From the North... Living in the South

Options
JEZ112
JEZ112 Posts: 12 Member
Interested in meeting other women who are transplants from another region... living in the South. I am from the Midwest... worked in Chicago many years... now live with my husband in AL. I miss "my people." I love this site. Am in my 6th week of daily exercise and healthy eating and have lost just under 10 pounds. My goal is healthy eating and daily exercise as a permanent lifestyle and to have lost 50 pounds or so by Christmas. I have a grown son still living in Chicago and work in Health Care.

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I was born in Ohio and my family moved to Florida eleven years ago this November. Florida isn't exactly "The South" though, really; with so many Northern transplants, it's more like a southern outpost of New England and the Midwest. I live in central FL, so there are more lifers in my immediate area than transplants, but the further south you go geographically, the further north you go population-wise. I'm 21, so I've pretty much literally spent half my life here; not quite the same as your situation, lol.

Good luck on your journey! What exercises do you do? Is 50 lbs by Christmas an ultimate goal, or will you have further to go after that? I've got about 30 more pounds to go, myself; I lost almost 40 on my own before discovering MFP.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    SO, you're a damn YANKEE

:laugh: Just kidding! =) I was born and raised in the south <3 Carolina! I'll add you for support!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Michigan City Indiana (across the lake from Chicago)

I now live in the shenandoa valley in Virginia...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I am from the North, living in the South.....only in the UK not the US! I'm from a city called York, and I live near Hastings now. It's only 280 miles, so in US terms that is probably nothing, but it's quite a distance in England!

I'm losing weight after having 2 children quite close together.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Iowa and now live in Mississippi. Add me if you would like. It is a lot different in the South isn't it? Not necessarily a bad different either.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Grew up in Connecticut. Moved to Virginia after college now I live in the great state of North Carolina & I love it. I may have been born a Yankee but was always Southern @ heart <3
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota living in VA - definitely a little different down here! But the area I live in the people are very nice.
  • KateRepine
    KateRepine Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Michigan City Indiana (across the lake from Chicago)

I now live in the shenandoa valley in Virginia...

Me too (in shenandoah valley)!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I was born in Chicago's Cook County Hospital and grew up on the city's south side until I was 28.
    Since then I've lived in the Seattle area, San Francisco area and now sort of near Raleigh, NC. After living in big cities all my life, it's been hard living in the very rural area where I am now. I've been in NC for 17 years and have lots of acquaintances, but have never been able to make a friend here.
    Good luck in your southern living and in you fitness goals.
  • alemiszki
    alemiszki Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm originally from Ohio but I lived in North Carolina for 6 years and am moving to southern Alabama later next year. I LOVE the South. The culture, the people, the mannerisms. Love it!
  • JEZ112
    Options
    To tehzephyrsong's post above: My husband's wonderful mom and sister live in FWB... we love to visit there. Thank you for your post... I am so glad you are doing this for yourself and also want to show your sis that it is possible... My motto is never give up, even if you attempt it many times. Just try again. One of those tries is going to work! PS... At my age, I think the Christmas goal of 50 pounds will be enough. it is about 10 pounds more than I weighed in my 40s but I look emaciated as I age if I lose too much... may even be satisfied at 40 pound loss... will have to see how I feel.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Ohio. Currently living and working in B'ham, Alabama. Soon, relocating to Louisville, KY. Interview there tomorrow. Nice to meet u!

HEzz
  • JEZ112
    Options
    To howardmelinda: Wow.. congrats on being so close to your goal! I grew up in Burlington... what part of Iowa do you hail form?
  • robinkelly25
    robinkelly25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lived in Rockford/Chicago suburbs until I was 18 and then joined the military and have been in the south for about 4 years now. Currently in Mississippi and it is hot here for absolutely no reason. :)
  • ambcage
    ambcage Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm from Maine, but I've been living just outside of Charleston, SC for nine years now. Totally different but in a good way. Feel free to add me if you would like.

Love and light,

Alaina
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    Born in Mass, raised in Vermont and retired from the Air Force and now live in Georgia!
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised 29 years in Michigan, and moved 12 years ago to FL! Gave up the quirky MI weather for East Coast FL living, a 5 minute drive to the beach, and beautiful weather! Add me if you'd like!
    I'm currently doing Power 90 and C25K. I was 205 lbs back in September 2011, and have lost 52 lbs so far. I'm looking to lose another 20 to reach my goal!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I grew up in northern Illinois and have lived in Georgia for 18 years. I love it here!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I was born in Tennessee, moved to Michigan when I was 9 yrs old....married a guy in the Navy....have lived in Iceland, Charleston SC, Jacksonville FL and Meridan Miss.. moved to Middle Tennessee when he got out 20 years ago....love Tennessee, never had the desire to move back to MI, cause I don't really like snow.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Born a Connecticut girl but married a "good ole boy" from NC! Add me if you want. :smile: