Why can't I let go of Mcdonalds?

Options

Replies

• XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe start by saying u can have it once every 2 week's, one youve managed that once a month. If it's your only vice I wouldn't stress to much, just make it a rarer occasion. X
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    nothing wrong with it, as long as its in your calories
    i myself have the occassional craving for fast food
    and i have it
    this isnt about giving up everything u love
    its about making smart choices........with the occasional treat
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 21 days to "break a habit". The only thing I can think to say is go cold turkey and replace it with something else.
    Perhaps try making your own cheeseburger?

^^ this had the same problem only with pizza found a way to make it somewhat healthy and the healthy version puts a stop to the craving
  • Erihppas
    Erihppas Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're human,

If you want it- I say go for it. Just add it into your calories. If I reeeeeeally want something, like a Whopper from BK (my weakness) I eat it earlier on in the day (670 calories), then I know I'll have a few calories left over for dinner. This way I'm full before I go to bed and I made myself happy AND BONUS: I've stayed in my calorie range.

For me to be successful in changing my habits, I can not eliminate the foods I love. If that were the case, I might as well just off myself right now.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I really don't see a problem with this. Of course, McDonald's isn't healthy, but if you crave it, then eat it and burn it off. And stop feeling guilty about it, as food is not the enemy. You have made major changes, just remember that. In time, you may find that you no longer want the double cheeseburger, but do not stress too much about it now. My approach to weight loss is everything in moderation and nothing is off limits.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I really don't see a problem with this. Of course, McDonald's isn't healthy, but if you crave it, then eat it and burn it off. And stop feeling guilty about it, as food is not the enemy. You have made major changes, just remember that. In time, you may find that you no longer want the double cheeseburger, but do not stress too much about it now. My approach to weight loss is everything in moderation and nothing is off limits.

I agree with this. It sounds like you've made drastic changes to your diet and lifestyle in short amount of time. DOn't beat yourself up. I probably wouldn't go twice a week but a few times a month should be fine. If it's really bothering you, you can always try the AA approach and put it off for just one more day. If it still tastes good to you, enjoy it. When most people eat clean the taste eventually doesn't satisfy them like it used to.
  • Araucaria29
    Araucaria29 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted this on FB the other day :

295405_10151027437759451_1797607023_n.jpg
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You can make a bigger burger at home that will be better for you and taste better. Try that maybe with a size od sweet potato fries
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think Lorina Lynn is right here.

To the OP - try homemade substitutes if you can. If that's not hitting the spot, then have this as your once a week indulgence. So what? We all have them. Keep it in perspective, work round it, and enjoy it without guilt.

I suspect if you let go of the intense feeling of guilt, and the strong sense that you 'shouldn't' have it, you'll find with time you can actually let it go. I think what's hooking you here is actually the forbidden fruit thing, it's not the object itself.

Your diet doesn't have to be perfect. Give yourself some space to slip up now and again.

I'm sorry, but to frame this as 'addiction' as some have on this thread is simply ridiculous - and actually plays into the guilt that's hooking you into eating the stuff. It's an intense desire. I doubt very much the OP goes into withdrawal without the burger.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I can fit McDonalds into all my days if I wanted too.
    No reason to cut it.

Live by an 80/20 rule and you can eat just about anything!
    80% whole foods and 20% junk daily.
    As long as you are below TDEE youll do great.

You know TDEE right?
  • joanie1313
    joanie1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    For me if there was something I was totally addicted to and had to have it I would make it part of the challenge say when I loose 5 lbs I will splurge and get one double cheeseburger. That way it will take longer to get that and by the time you get the second one earned you may find you don't even want it anymore and will make your reward a new piece of clothing or something. That is what I would do.
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This may not be your answer BUT - seven months ago I read a book about how the food is prepared from start to finish at several fast food chains. (from the cow or machine all the way to the store) It was a Eat this Not that Book - NOW I can not comprehend why I ever thought McDonald's was any good or Why I loved skittles. It was a HUGE eye opener. There are other places with better cheeseburgers and less calories and if you are true burger lover you will find them. I love burgers too so I know you will find a better place to enjoy a true burger.

Good Luck.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Btw... I just want to say.. when I have the Double Cheeseburger...
    I usually keep it in my cals.
    I guess I just feel bad that I'm eating this crap in the 1st place... esp with how far I've come ... giving up MOST fast food.
    I hate that this place seems to be holding me ... when its not even my fav fast food!?!?! I've given up Nacho Bell Grande LOL... Why can't I give up this?!?! lol
    Why would you want to?

Give yourself a break, your enthusiasm has kept you going through some major changes, but if you actually enjoy eating it and it's some free time for you, just stop beating yourself up.

I know from past experience in all sorts of things that trying to be perfect ends in failure.

If I were you I'd be congratulating myself on my incredible success and making a note in my diary in three months time to review whether or not I want to make further changes. Until then, enjoy ALL of your food.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I think you got more nutrition from the 400 calories at McD's than you did the 400 calories of vodka shots. McD's is not the enemy, it isn't evil, its a splurge every once in awhile. You're fine.

Yup aaaaaaand yup. There's certainly worse things. I had a McChicken sandwich yesterday with no fries and a water. Yum.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I think early in my diet I had a double cheese burger 2-3x a week.

If it fits your macros then eat it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you meet your daily fat goal? You didn't mention any fat in the diet you described. You mention occasionally having nuts as a "splurge" and eating lean meats (which is great) and steamed veggies. It's quite possible that you are simply craving fat and using McD as the way to get it. Add healthy fats to your daily diet and perhaps your need to "cheat" with McD fat will subside.

Fat is necessary for proper body function. You should not cut too much of it out of your diet. Try eating nuts more often, or adding avacado to your salads, or cooking your veggies or lean meats with a little olive oil. Dip your raw veggies in hummus or peanut butter.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My question to you is are you trying to make healthy choices for life or are you trying to get the quick fix?

I'm not asking that in a mean way but can you really give up McDonalds forever?

I totally understand wanting to eat as clean as possible. I also am trying to do that, but it has been my experience is that the second you tell yourself I will NEVER than you set yourself up for failure.

There is no place where its set in stone you shouldn't have McDonalds. If that's your indulgence than make it a smart one. Have your double, some fresh fruit and veggies, and some extra water to make up for the the additional sodium in the burger. You yourself know that it shouldnt be a daily routine but once a week? Why not? You DO NOT have to be perfect overnight. In fact, you don't have to be perfect at all. There may be one day when you're over the doubles and if not, just make the best decisions you can 90% of the time!

Again, this should be a peaceful journey to good health that you're willing to work on the rest of your life, it shouldnt be something that you come to dread or avoid!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it anymore, then that is what you have to do. You're the one driving to the McDonalds. Nobody is forcing you. You physically take yourself there. If you're doing it while you're out on errands, like you said, make sure you eat before you go out and bring a healthy snack that you can wave in front of the McDonalds as you drive right on past it. That'll show 'em.
  • stroud62455
    Options
    Hello!

As with everything else this will take some time too. Try wearning yourself form the golden arches by ordering a kids meal instead of the regular size. Take a look at the fat and carbs you will consume prior to the eating the burger and ask yourself "Is it really worth it?"". Let me know how you are doing!