The Truth About Sports Products - BBC Ddocumentary

Options
Coco_UK
Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
I just watched this documentary on the BBC. It looks at sports drinks, supplements and shoes. It seems like there is a lot of conflicting information in terms of what actually works and what doen't.

I thought I would post it here for anyone interested - enjoy! :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l1yxk/Panorama_The_Truth_About_Sports_Products/

Replies

• RicochetRabbit
    Options
    Ahhh, I'm in the states and it won't let me watch but it said I could listen on some player.

I am thinking about buying some KSO/toe shoes/barefoot shoes. I was wondering what the truth was in these.
    Thanks!
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I watched that on iPlayer last night and found it very interesting. For the most part, I don't tend to believe at least half of the claims made and of the other half that are left I start looking for research to back up the claims (can't help it - I like proof and look for it in the science journals).

On the whole I am dubious of a lot of the hype that these products get - stick to plain old water and eat well and you should be OK. Only if you intend being a high performance athlete do you need any of this stuff and even then it should be carefully monitored by a trained instructor/trainer.

I'm just a plain old "Joe Bloggs" who is never going to be a top athlete (it's a bit late to start at 58!) but it's not too late to get fitter and healthier.
  • Coco_UK
    Options
    Oh I am sorry! I didn't realise you could only watch it in UK... I think sometimes you can also catch these programs in youtube but it does not seem to be available there yet.

They had a long section on sports shoes, they talked about how some say that you need structure and some say that you need to feel a more bare feeling. They said that there is conflicting evidence, that you are probably best if you wear what feels better when you try them. Well that is what I understood! :-)
  • Coco_UK
    Options
    I watched that on iPlayer last night and found it very interesting. For the most part, I don't tend to believe at least half of the claims made and of the other half that are left I start looking for research to back up the claims (can't help it - I like proof and look for it in the science journals).

On the whole I am dubious of a lot of the hype that these products get - stick to plain old water and eat well and you should be OK. Only if you intend being a high performance athlete do you need any of this stuff and even then it should be carefully monitored by a trained instructor/trainer.

I'm just a plain old "Joe Bloggs" who is never going to be a top athlete (it's a bit late to start at 58!) but it's not too late to get fitter and healthier.

I totally agree with you.

But there is so many people here talking about protein shakes that I was thinking ... hmmm maybe I really need those!
    Go figure!
  • MoonGazer91
    MoonGazer91 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the end on all trainers, it said all that matters is buying a pair that that you feel comfortable in and then just getting out there and exercise regularly. It also said that for your average person, the only supplements proven with evidence to make a difference in performance was creatine and caffeine. Just drink water when you're thirsty and eat a balanced diet.

E: Beaten by a whole load of others first, I see, lol.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Sports supplements with undeniable, peer reviewed literature that they work:

Protein (protein is protein, and doesnt have to be powder) and creatine.

Not saying everything else is junk, but those 2 have been verified over and over.
  • RicochetRabbit
    Options
    I will try to find it on Youtube. Thanks. I have so much trouble with my feet from years of walking on concrete that just about anything is worth a try. I have some good running shoes but static lunges sometimes hurt my feet.

And a word on protein drinks, my husband has been ill and has dropped too much weight. He is trying to gain. I got him a protein drink from GNC after he said Ensure was killing his stomach (he is a hard headed man). He is not drinking this GNC drink either, says its too thick. I paid a lot of money for it so I am drinking it. I have never drank one before but I have been doing Jill's 30DS since April. I don't know if it is all in my head but after just a few days, I believe I feel better all ready. It also fills me up so I am not snacking all the time. I was eating healthy snacks but it seemed like that was all that was on my mind was .....Ok what am I going to eat next. So far I like it. :)

I'm hoping it works for me. I am trying to take my workout to the next level. I hope to meet some new goals. I think I am going to get the shoes. :happy:
  • marcew44
    marcew44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found it YouTube..very interesting...I have never found one that I really liked the taste of while i was working out....I remember as a kid drinking them......I like old fashion water with lemon / lime :):wink: