7 months as a non smoker

Options
This is not a weight lost success story, even though I have lost 60 pounds in the last year and a half, but this is a success story for me finally putting down those damn cigarettes. I smoked about 1 1/2 packs a day for over 15 years and on December 23, 2011 I just put them down for good and never looked back. It took many faiiled attempts to finally quit over the past years, but my message to people still smoking trying to quit is that you can do it.

I was going to quit once I got married - Failed
I was going to quit on our honeymoon - Failed
I was going to quit when my son was born - Failed
I was going to quit when I turned 30 - Failed
I was going to quit when I went to Aruba - Failed

The list could go on and on....and on. I cannot even begin to count the amount of times I have failed at quitting smoking. But the point is that eventually I overcame the addiction and I feel great. Now I am taking care of the rest of the weight (50 pounds) I need to lose that has been controlling my life forever.

You can change your life. Just take it one step at a time and never give up. You may fall from time to time, but what is important is that you pick yourself back up and push forward. That is how winning is done.

I cannot wait to say I have been smoke free for 1 complete year.

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on Jan 26,2012 after blood clots in heart and legs.I smoked for 45 years.Congrats on your
    Victory against this horrible habit.Don't you feel so much better? I do!
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    Thank you. I do feel so much better. I never knew how much I smelled when I was smoking. My poor wife had to put up with that stale cigarette stench for years. Now that I do not smoke, I can say that it stinks!

I think what finally did it for me was my son seeing me smoke. I did not want to contribute in any way to him thinking smoking is "cool" or what "guys do", or anything like that. That is what woke me up and I quit cold turkey as well.

I will be honest though, there are sometimes that I wish I had a cigarette, but then I think of what I would be throwing away for the lasts 7 months and the withdrawls that I had for 2 weeks that were miserable. Never again will I put myself through that.

Congrats to you on your quit.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am so incredibly proud of you and I don't even know you. Great job!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you on quitting!!! I have a list like that as well and my latest is that I will quit before I am 40 yrs old and I will be 38 in a couple of months now...It's really time for me to quit NOW....

Thank you for your inspiring story so that very very soon I KNOW I can just put them down...I always try to figure out the best time to do it but there is never a right time I know...I just have to do it!!!

Thanks again!! You are an inspiration to me!! :flowerforyou:
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I quit many years ago but was a pack a day smoker. Believe it or not you'll get to the point not only where you don't want one, but if you decide to just have one (say, I don't know, after a few beverages) you won't even like it.

Better for your health, better for your wallet. :drinker:
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you for making such a huge, difficult and healthy change. And THANK YOU from a person who gets literally nauseated every time I'm forced to breathe that stuff. You're setting a strong example for your son.

(edit for typo)
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I quit 16 yrs ago and then running became my new addiction. I like running much better. Congrats on becoming a non-smoker.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Great job. Congratulations.

My mom failed many times too before she was able to kick the habit back in the late 80's. You'll be glad you were dedicated to quit!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    congratulations. Never been a smoker because I know I would have been a 3 pack a day person. I know lots of people who won't quit because they say they gain weight when they do.
  • hotrodr123
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. I just quit today and weight gain is one of my big fears. The last time I quit for about 9 months 7 or 8 years ago i gained around 70 lbs and was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I'm hoping I can keep that from happening this time.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i have tried several times and failed :( i did quit for my pregnancies, but a screaming baby sent me right back out to smoke (i ONLY smoke outside, same for my guests) I got very ill in march and didn't smoke for over 2 weeks, i figured that would be a great time to just quit, problem being, once i got better, the cravings were UNBEARABLE... not to mention i yelled at my kids so much, they even told me to go out and smoke... and don't get me started on the weight gain and mood swings.

So, for all the quitters out there, would you consider it to be alot like weight loss? Someone needs to be ready first? I have no health issues (at 43, i had the bloodwork of a healthy 27 year old and i take no medications) and (unfortunately) i large family full of smokers who lived to ripe old ages without any health issues like emphysema or cancer to motivate me that way. I have been waiting for a certain number on the scale so i could handle some weight gain without falling off the "diet wagon".

If there are any former smokers with suggestions, i would love some input. Inbox preferred..
  • loumaag
    loumaag Posts: 118
    Options
    78Octane I know your story well. I quit March 15, 1984. Interesting that I can remember that date, I can also remember the exact circumstances of quitting. I am sure you will remember it also, just as you remember all the failed tries. As we former smokers say, "Heck, it is easy to give up smoking, I do it all the time." :wink:

Congratulations on both your success at kicking the habit and the fatter wallet you are now experiencing. My wife (another former smoker) and I were discussing this just the other day when we noticed some signage advertising cartons of cigarettes. When I quit, a carton cost ~ $6.50, when she quit (several years later) they were in the $11-12 range per carton. OMG, who can afford to smoke today? :noway:
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on Jan 26,2012 after blood clots in heart and legs.I smoked for 45 years.Congrats on your
    Victory against this horrible habit.Don't you feel so much better? I do!

My wife and I both quit in March of this year ( carton per week) and people always say "Don't you feel so much better"??? Problem is, I have noticed no difference except for the fact that I don't wheeze when I breathe at night. My wife says the same thing. I am just curious...in what ways have you noticed any improvements.

If it weren't for the cancer risk, cost and odor On your clothes (which I never really noticed as a smoker but I now detest as a mon smoker), I would go buy another carton today. Emotionally, I think I felt better when I was smoking.

Please enlighten me...maybe there is more to come in the next few months.
  • 78Octane
    Options
    I was 2 months into my quit and was struggling on some days with the urge to start smoking again when my Dad had a heart attack and ended up having 4 way bypass heart surgery. He smoked for years and I remember growing up him smoking all around me - In the car with the windows up, in the house while watching TV, after dinner at a restaurant, etc. etc. It was a different day and age then. Everyone smoked. No one cared or knew about the health risks back in the late 70's and 80's.

Seeing my Dad laying there after open heart surgery and the doctor explaining how smoking cloggs the arteries, I knew right then and there that I would never go back to smoking. Not even one.
  • 78Octane
    Options
    Congrats. I quit many years ago but was a pack a day smoker. Believe it or not you'll get to the point not only where you don't want one, but if you decide to just have one (say, I don't know, after a few beverages) you won't even like it.

Better for your health, better for your wallet. :drinker:

Thanks,

I know I have an addictive personality, so I think just one and I would be hooked again. I quit once for 3 weeks a couple years ago and I had one cigarette at a friend's poker game and next thing I knew I was smoking a pack a day again.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! 7 weeks and counting for me, I"m still wearing the patch for now. I dont miss them or the stench
  • 78Octane
    Options
    congratulations. Never been a smoker because I know I would have been a 3 pack a day person. I know lots of people who won't quit because they say they gain weight when they do.

I gained about 15 pounds, but you know what, I did not care. I knew the health benefits of not ingesting 10,000 chemicals in my lungs compared to carrying around an extra 15 pounds weree worth it. The 15 pounds came off within a couple of months, but it wass all worth it.
  • 78Octane
    Options
    Congrats on quitting. I just quit today and weight gain is one of my big fears. The last time I quit for about 9 months 7 or 8 years ago i gained around 70 lbs and was the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I'm hoping I can keep that from happening this time.

If needed, setup your weight loss in settings to "maintenenace levels" just to maintain your weight and it gives you some more calories to feed those cravings you will get while quitting smoking.

It is so worth it. Not only the money you will be saving, but your life you will be saving as well. Mind over matter. Be strong and you can overcome this. It is only a cigarette, it does not control you. You can do this.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I cannot wait to say I have been smoke free for 1 complete year.

WELL DONE YOU!!! :drinker: :drinker:

In the nest week or so.. it will have been 3 years since I stopped smoking..

NEVER in a million years did I think I could do it.

I want to agree with what you said in the rest of your post to.. to ANY smoker.. YOU CAN DO IT!.. you really can.

I only tried to quit that one time.. (BUT! I spent 3 mths planning how I would do it)..

Hand on my heart.. I wouldn NEVER smoke again, ever ever.. EVER.

It was the best best best thing for myself.. even now I am so amazed as a 40 per day 'chain smoker'.. that I did it.

Anyone can do it!... I PROMISE! .. It's 95% mental. Once you get your head in the right place.. you'll do it.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options

I will be honest though, there are sometimes that I wish I had a cigarette, but then I think of what I would be throwing away for the lasts 7 months and the withdrawls that I had for 2 weeks that were miserable. Never again will I put myself through that.

That's virtually word for word what I tell people..

(SAME SAME .. never again, I love how my 'health' feels now.. it gets better I swear!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!