Leslie Sansone Walk videos and questions about heart rate

Options
ciddi
ciddi Posts: 38 Member
Hi,
I have a couple of Leslie Sansone 'Walk at home' videos. I am using my Polar FT4 HRM I purchased 2 weeks ago.
My heart rate with some of Leslie's videos stays between 180-190 during most of the work out period and HRM says I burn 525 calories in 45 min 3 miles walk. I use 3 lb hand weights during the workouts.
Yesterday I burned more than 800 cals in 75 mins 5 mile walk without weights.

When I walk on a trail my heart rate rarely goes above 120. It stays between 105-115.
When I use my stationary bike(at 13-15mph) it stays in the range 140-155 during most of the workout period.

Any of your heart rates going so high with Leslie's videos.
I seem to be burning more calories with Leslie's walk at home than most of my other workout videos.
Can this be true or Is my HRM not working properly??

Replies

• crd314
    crd314 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That seems really high. My heart rate doesn't get above 160 even when I'm doing the boosted walks in her videos. I would be shocked if you burned more than 100 calories per mile, but I don't know your stats. I used a Polar FT60 while doing a 3 mile walk in about 41 minutes, and I burned 311 calories. I've only had the HRM a little while, but that seems like a normal amount to burn to me. Not sure why yours would think it's so high! That would be a really hard heart rate to maintain for that long.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would also agree that seems awfully high. I use a Mio HRM and when I do the 3 mile I burn approx. 330 calories, so very close to what crd314 is reporting.

I don't burn 800 calories in an hour long Zumba class!!
  • ciddi
    Options
    Yes. I think it is pretty high too
    But can this be because I am not in a good shape?
    I am 5' 3'' and 176lbs.

I wonder if my HRM is wrong because it says I burn around 600 cals in 60 mins on my statinary bike.
    That sounds reasonable.

When I walk outdoors it hardly goes above 110 or 115. and I burn around 100cals per mile
    225 cals for 35 mins 2.5 mile walk

Do u think there is a problem with my HRM?
    or is there some problem in my body??

Editing to add that my age is 25
    and I have started working out last month.
    Before that I barely did any exercise. And When I started in June I weighed 187lbs it was very difficult for me to complete Leslie's 2 mile walk. I lost 7 lbs last month and a total of 11lbs till date
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hrm so I can't really answer your question. I have been thinking about buying one and I was just curious, do you feel like you have done a more intense workout when doing the video as opposed to the bike and regular walking?
  • ciddi
    Options
    I don't have a hrm so I can't really answer your question. I have been thinking about buying one and I was just curious, do you feel like you have done a more intense workout when doing the video as opposed to the bike and regular walking?

Yes. Definitely. I feel more satisfied doing her video than the bike.
    And I sweat a lot compared to bike or regular walking.
  • crochelle17
    crochelle17 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think it seems a bit high, although not as high as you may think, with the dvds of hers that i have i do burn more then if i would go out for a walk because she does add in other things so your not just walking. If it seems to be on target for everything else that you do i wouldnt worry too much. But thats just me, i also tend to do a lot more joggin with her stuff so that i will burn more
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    does it feel like you are working harder doing this workout vs trails? 180-190 seems to high for a power walk. maybe 3 lb weights are too much. I think her Dvds may burn more than an average walk due to using arms and different moves. the calories counts will vary among us all due to each persons stats. I mostly use my hrm to keep me honest to my workout. I am going on 2 months and I have to really move it to keep my heart rate in my fitness zone. when I started walking outside it didn't take much power walking to. get into 150-160 now even when I power walk for 30 min outside it doesn't go past 145. inside I cant keep my heart rate up steady with the 3 mile Dvd it recovers fast if I don't do knee lifts or kickbacks in her workouts. I like outside walking better.
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Could just be that your HR is higher when you do the Leslie Sansone Walk videos than it is when you walk outside. That all depends on how fast you walk outside, and if you walk straight, or uphill. Sounds to me like you are just working harder and therefore your heart is pumping faster for the videos.

I do two different types of crossramp/elliptical at the gym, with one I can 'walk' much faster, but I have a controlled HR at 140-145 and can keep it there for half an hour to an hour easy. I switch to the other, my HR is up in the 170s right away, even though I 'walk' much slower. The second one makes me work harder, the movements differ a little and therefore my HR goes right up to what for me is about 90%, as opposed to staying at 70-80%.

If you are unsure if the HRM is set correctly, does your Polar version come with the FitnessTest? I know my model does (FT40), but I don't know about the FT4. If it's just weight, height etc, that will make it less accurate in terms of calories burned, though your HR will still be what it says of course.
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me I can't get over 130/140 doing her videos.

When you're walking on the trail though it's not the same as her leg lifts, side steps etc. I imagine the video would be higher but for me that is awfully high. Could be correct for you though.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how fit you are and how big you are. For me, still huge, I can also burn that much during one of her videos, with my HRM, if I really dig into it. The hand weights and the arm moves are what really shoot your heart rate sky high and have you pouring buckets of sweat. The fitter you get, the easier the workouts will become and the lower your burns will drop.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options

Yes. Definitely. I feel more satisfied doing her video than the bike.
    And I sweat a lot compared to bike or regular walking.

Then maybe it's right. I definitely feel like I have worked out harder with her videos than an actuall walk. My bike, however, kicks my butt!!!
  • ciddi
    Options
    Yes. I feel I am working harder with her videos. I really enjoy seeing higher numbers. But that also makes me think is this really correct?
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and the circumstances. I recently started using an HRM and during a 50 minute walk the other day my heart rate was between 130-160 all the way round. At home it's around the 70's and 80's and at work (depending on whether my boss is in lol) it's between 70-100.

I'm 5ft 6 and 213lbs, and naturally very lazy so that may be why.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My HR goes between 65-85% of max with her DVDs if I do full exertion on all moves. I burn about 7-8 calories per minute doing her workouts. i can do that even without weights because I sink into the squats and I jog during the turbo segments instead of walking. When I did the entire 5 Really Big Miles DVD, it was 87 mins and I burned 603 calories.

If I do her workout right after another workout, the stack effect kicks in and my HR can be even a little higher.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    just out of curiosity, compare what you'd burn if you logged it as low impact aerobic exercise-

I came across a website last year (sorry, can't recall which one)

that suggested using that to log her videos if you don't have a HRM,
    so that's how I've logged it...

CONGRATS on your journey! Different types of walking (indoor/out) has been 90% of my exercise
    I HIGHLY recommend her videos!
  • ciddi
    Options
    If you are unsure if the HRM is set correctly, does your Polar version come with the FitnessTest? I know my model does (FT40), but I don't know about the FT4. If it's just weight, height etc, that will make it less accurate in terms of calories burned, though your HR will still be what it says of course.

My Polar doesnt have Fitness Test.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like exactly what I used to burn with her videos. I had a Polar F6, and I usually got my heart rate up to the 180s for several parts of the workout.

ETA: I worked extremely hard with these videos, jogging instead of walking, pulling my knees up to my chest with knee-lifts, etc. That was at my lowest weight, however, so I had to work harder to get the same calorie burn.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It might be a little high, but keep in mind that during her videos you are doing more than just walking! Her videos make your entire body move, more so when you add in the weights and arm movements. You might try another exercise (30DS maybe) video and see how much of a difference there is. I know that after I do the LS Super Fat Burning 3 mile walk with 2 pound weights I feel it more so than if I do a 5 mile brisk walk. I don't have a HRM, so I just put her walks down as 3 miles at 4 mph. I have also done her walks where I "double timed" when doing the regular walking in place.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My HRM went wacky whenever I got within a certain range of my TV. Polar confirmed that TV and other electronic devices can affect the HRM (they recommended facing the other way...yes, that meant my back would be to the TV!).
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

The hand weights and the arm moves are what really shoot your heart rate sky high and have you pouring buckets of sweat.

I completely agree with this. Try doing the same workout without the hand weights, or with lighter ones, and I think you'll see that's where the difference is.

I have several videos that I use handweights for, and if my heart rate is getting either too high or too low, I adjust the weights I'm carrying and my heart rate responds almost instantly.