Zig Zag approach...love it!

Love this article....it's my new THANG.....

The ZIG-ZAG Approach
Losing weight has become an American pastime. When determining the the most favorable fat loss approach for your clients, a review of traditional methods will help shed some light on how to best approach this task. Surprisingly, when researching the facts, it became evident that most traditional fat loss approaches vary and are not appropriate for a fitness lifestyle. These methods are primarily developed for people who need to lose weight fast for health reasons or for the would-be dieter who wants to trim down to look better.

There are three main ways your body loses weight: (1) dehydration, (2) lean weight loss (from muscle), and (3) fat loss.

Dehydration is not a recommended type of weight loss. However, wrestlers and other athletes who need to “make weight” will unavoidably turn to this method as a last-minute resort. Losing a couple pounds during the last few hours prior to competition to make it into a specific weight division may not be harmful, as long as the athlete is in a good state of hydration to begin with. In most cases, the athlete can rehydrate after the weigh-in. However, do not rely on dehydration to lose more than a few pounds (usually less than 3% to 4% of your total bodyweight), and do not stay dehydrated for more than several hours or become dehydrated under circumstances of heat stress. Ideally, dehydration to make weight should be avoided at all costs.

Lean weight loss can result from an excessive reduction in caloric intake, losing weight too fast, not eating the proper proportions of macronutrients, and not exercising properly. Lean weight loss comes primarily from the breakdown of muscle tissue; however, bone and connective tissue can also be reduced in size. This is a very detrimental type of weight loss for the athlete, or anybody for that matter. Loss of lean body mass also reduces BMR (basal metabolic rate) and jeopardizes body structure and function.

Targeted fat loss together with increased lean mass is the ISSA recommended mode of weight loss and the core of the ZIG-ZAG approach, which is the focus of this unit. Increases in lean body mass percentage will also accompany a proper fat loss program as a result of losing fat and keeping lean bodyweight the same, which in turn, will result in a lower percent bodyfat and higher percent lean body mass. Or, a lower bodyfat percentage may be the result of actually increasing the weight of lean body mass, which will result in an increase of lean body mass percentage. The key to adjusting body composition should not be dictated by reaching some arbitrary weight goal. It should be determined by attaining a bodyfat goal that is realistic and can be reached given your current physical abilities, schedule and personal preferences.

Anyone who has been around the fitness world for any length of time has most likely heard one of these complaints:

“I eat like a bird, and I still gain weight!”

“No matter what I do, I get fatter and fatter!”

“All I have to do is smell food and I put on weight!”

Scientists have long known that stringent dieting causes a corresponding drop in our resting metabolic rate (BMR), making it very difficult, often impossible, to continue the fat loss process.

The rate of fat loss will be determined by individual genetics, body type, metabolism, nutrition and exercise program. However, remember that it is not possible to establish the relative portion of an individual’s health or fitness that is determined through heredity; therefore genetic background neither dooms or guarantees success in achieving total fitness. Ectomorphs (naturally lean people) will have the easiest time losing fat but find it hard to gain muscle. Mesomorphs will also be able to lose fat easily and can put on muscle mass the easiest. Endomorphs, who tend to carry more bodyfat, can lose fat at a good rate but need to make sure to stick to a low-fat nutrition program, keep up on strength and aerobic exercise, and follow the fat loss tips, as they will probably benefit from them the most. Endomorphs may also find it beneficial to raise their protein levels up to 25% to 30% of total daily calories to encourage an increase in lean mass levels. Men tend to lose fat and gain muscle more easily than women because of their hormonal differences, particularly higher testosterone, which give men the ability to maintain a higher proportion of muscle mass and a higher metabolic rate then women. A woman’s hormonal system resists changes in body composition as a protective mechanism to conserve energy stores while pregnant. Women, therefore, will tend to lose fat at a slower rate and find it hard to maintain bodyfat levels below 16%. As we age, bodyfat reduction occurs at a slower rate. This should not discourage anyone but should rather underscore the importance of establishing realistic, lifelong goals. These include following a balanced nutrition plan and keeping up with a daily exercise program, including muscle-building exercises.

Replies