Food database integrity

Options
cre80witty
cre80witty Posts: 2 Member
Anyone else believe that the food database is confusing at times? Sweet tea for example - how many versions of nutritional data do you need? Is there anyway for MFP to 'cleanse' the database to make it easier for new users? Also another suggestion to keep the database clean and concise (right or wrong is subjective), custom recipes can be shared but should not be allowed to be added to the database but can be shared amongst friends or posted on the community board for other users to copy. Thoughts anyone?

Replies

• onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think the custom recipes should be separate also. Plus it would be nice if it would show the actual recipe not just the resulting calories etc.
  • mrswarrick
    mrswarrick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree with showing more recipes...or at least the food s in it. I went to add a new recipe and it made mention of adding it to the database and had me enter in the recipe, the ingredients and how to make it...but that was only online when I created a recipe for my green smoothie this morning on my phone it didn't go into all that detail. So maybe somethings coming in the future!

A database cleanse would be awesome! Like anything that just has calories added to it??? I want to know the rest not somones quick add calories!

With that said there is a ton of information in the database, which can be better than barely any which is the case for some other sites. MFP has a vast database of foods already in it! Weight is where it's at- but I dont' weigh my foods so I expect a difference in what you call a small banana and what I call a small banana. It's a close estimate, at best for most things. :)
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    Yeah it's crazy sometimes looking stuff up, I looked up a Subway sandwich (knowing they were posted online so assuming they'd be in the database) and some of the top results showed the exact same sub ranging from 250 - 590 calories! I ended up looking it up on the Subway website and it was 380 lol. I can't understand why people put things in totally wrong.

I think if something is voted 'incorrect' enough times it should be deleted from the database, so we could then all make more effort to verify the foods we are submitting/using.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Going on your sweet tea thought, they need data for all widely available brands and even that will differ by region. A database cleanse could easily remove an entry that is useful for a lot of people, just because it seems to be a duplicate. It could go wrong very easily. I've already seen posts about people complaining that their custom food entries were deleted as duplicates.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to add something from the database to my diary and couldn't understand the amount of carbs...I KNEW it couldn't be that high. So I checked the nutritional info and found out that someone made the serving size one third of what it actually is so when I added 2 servings it DOUBLED the amount of carbs. I had to edit the info so the serving size was correct (I had the package so I knew the real numbers). Caution is advised when adding food from the database.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find myself adding 1.2 or 1.4 just to make the calorie count correct. Not liking all those listings with someone's custom sandwich, custom recipes, and incorrect entries/spelling. Can't all the MFP entries (like the apple, banana, vegggie, etc) have a special tag or come up on top? Sometimes they are buried even when I sort by relevance.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    . Can't all the MFP entries (like the apple, banana, vegggie, etc) have a special tag or come up on top? Sometimes they are buried even when I sort by relevance.

Something is amiss even typing in "Raw" before my choice is not bringing up MFP entries. I really dont give a squat about someone entry of potatoes with moms special blend..oh thats useful Not! Personal recipes should not be coming up unless we can see exact ingredients and amounts
  • cre80witty
    cre80witty Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you folks! Looks like I am not the only crazy one out there. Based on your input (thank you again for that), I'll raise this issue as a post under the MFP technical forum and see where it goes. Cheers everyone!
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I agree. The integrity of the database is pretty poor.
  • RedHatPatti
    RedHatPatti Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not only the duplicates but I am a fairly new user and STILL have not been able to figure out how to enter a recipe .. Also I think the measurements should include 1/3 cup/ 1/4 c 1/2 cup, 1 Teaspoon vs only 1 Tablespoon There are 3 tsp in a Tablespoon.. why not have a choice rather than having to put .33 each time I only use a "tsp of marg) ... Very confusing at times..and TRying to FIND certain foods. I wish there was a conversion between grams and tbsp or ozs.. Sometimes I find an item only to have it stated in grams.. then I have to go figure out the math or start over. Just my 2 cents
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I rarely trust what is in the MFP food database. I always look it up on the manufacturer's website, or read/scan my label instead.