Circuit training?

Options
Hey everybody,

I am almost completely new to working out, and for part of my routine I want to do circuit training. I know I am currently in no decent physical condition to do much by way of circuit training, but am working on it. (Just to give an idea, I can't do a single push up at the moment, unless it is on my knees). However, just because I can't do the standard exercises right now, doesn't mean I won't be able to in the future. Nor does it mean I can't do modified versions that will not hurt (aside from good muscle pain that comes from exercising them). What kinds of routines would you recommend for me? Keep in mind I currently have nothing to work with except my body weight. I can't afford any equipment at the moment, because my budget is stretched tight. So, what I am looking for is a completely equipment free circuit routine, with exercises that will be easy on joints and not cause pain. I have found a couple sites that has something that I maybe able to modify slightly, which are here:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/workout-routines/body-weight-circuits-are-kickin-my-butt/
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/circuit-training-exercises.html

Let me know what you guys think and share some of your ideas.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    bodyweight, 6 feet of floor space, and about 45 mins is all you need, my friend. I'll be right back with two links.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Original MH Spartacus workout

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/goblet-squat.php#slidetop

Funk Roberts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFQk4ZKi5I&feature=plcp

Don't worry about the weights in the Men's Health Spartacus workout. Do them with just bodyweight and it will be PLENTY challenging. Put it this way, I squat 315 and bench 275 right now, but the first time I tried this I had 20 or 25 lb dumbbells and damn near died. In a good way. I didn't need to use weights at all to get the effects.

Okay, let's say I actually have one link for you to try, and the 2nd one is just to show you what's possible with just bodyweight. Funk's workout is going to be too advanced for you right now, even with modifications. But it gives you something to work toward. It's tough even for him.

You can get a Gymboss timer for the rounds or use an app on a smartphone like I did. And forget 45 secs. Try for 30. That's what I had to do starting out too.

And don't quit early! That third set is where the money is! (did Tony Horton just walk in?)
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am going to look into those right now, and see what I can accomplish (hopefully without waking anybody up). Also putting it into a spreadsheet so I know what I am doing and not having to change pages to see the next exercises. My knowledge had been severely limited. The only thing I could think of doing were sit ups an push ups. Which is fine, but they only do so much and it is hard to push myself to do more when I get tired.
  • DavPul
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9LEjEV2n1Q

That's a link to watch someone do each exercise so you get the right idea on form. And he has all the exercises listed on the page. I have to write them down too! I recite them over and over on my way to my workout space, but halfway thru the second set my brain is gone and I can't remember a damn thing!

Remember that it's ok to rest when you need to. Take a break for a few seconds and then try to pick back up. Let the timer keep going and each time out try to do more reps in the same amount of time
  • alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try checking into yard sales for equipment. some of the subdivisions will throw their stuff to the curb on sundays just because they couldnt sell it. i picked up an expensive, very heavy weir weight machine. still works 4 years later. a lot of them sell weighs, etc for dirt cheap too
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm currently doing bodyweight and trying to get the form right. I follow NerdFitness' circuit and I definitely break a sweat! Because of my recent injury, I've had to modify a few of the exercises, but I can still feel the impact.

Instead of pushups or knee-push ups, I started doing it against the wall, then progressing to a lower incline. Now I can do a regular push up, Not too many yet, though!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

EDIT: this routine doesn't include tricep dips, but they're my favorite!
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    That NerdFitness circuit is going to be a good start. I managed to do most of one circuit, but had to stop a little early because my joints were cracking like crazy and I just couldn't make it through more than once, for now anyway. I plan to do it a couple times, spread throughout the day, until I am able to do it all the way through three times. I did not do any of the dumbbell rows, and only 10 lunges. Need to find myself a milk jug to fill with water or sand or something, or find a dumbbell.

After the nerd fitness beginner workout, I don't think I am quite ready for the other ones listed, but I have them copied down for reference when my weight starts dropping and I will be able to do them.
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    That NerdFitness circuit is going to be a good start. I managed to do most of one circuit, but had to stop a little early because my joints were cracking like crazy and I just couldn't make it through more than once, for now anyway. I plan to do it a couple times, spread throughout the day, until I am able to do it all the way through three times.

Be nice to your body, don't injure yourself. Try to modify the exercises if you can't do them exactly. It's better to have correct form rather than forcing yourself to do it for the sake of doing it. I've been doing it for a week and have only managed to do 2 complete circuits :) with modified pushups and jumping jacks. I've gotten good form on the squats, but actually had to cut out the lunges because my knees weren't having it. My leg is still healing.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    That NerdFitness circuit is going to be a good start. I managed to do most of one circuit, but had to stop a little early because my joints were cracking like crazy and I just couldn't make it through more than once, for now anyway. I plan to do it a couple times, spread throughout the day, until I am able to do it all the way through three times.

Be nice to your body, don't injure yourself. Try to modify the exercises if you can't do them exactly. It's better to have correct form rather than forcing yourself to do it for the sake of doing it. I've been doing it for a week and have only managed to do 2 complete circuits :) with modified pushups and jumping jacks. I've gotten good form on the squats, but actually had to cut out the lunges because my knees weren't having it. My leg is still healing.

I almost can't handle the lunges. i could definitely feel them. I definitely modify the push ups, and will modify the lunges or change lunges to another workout that my legs can handle. I am also definitely trying to get correct form down on all the workouts so I reduce the risk of injury that way as well.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am doing the same nerd fitness circuit that the other person posted. I have made chart to fill in how many of each exercise I do so that I can gradually increase it.

I am doing my push ups on the edge of the kitchen counter, and plan to move to the front edge of the couch within a few workouts. My knees do NOT like being involved in push ups.

After my first workout my arms were fine, and my core was fine, but my legs were crazy sore for 3 days.
  • BrianHigh
    BrianHigh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody,

I am almost completely new to working out, and for part of my routine I want to do circuit training. I know I am currently in no decent physical condition to do much by way of circuit training, but am working on it. (Just to give an idea, I can't do a single push up at the moment, unless it is on my knees). However, just because I can't do the standard exercises right now, doesn't mean I won't be able to in the future. Nor does it mean I can't do modified versions that will not hurt (aside from good muscle pain that comes from exercising them). What kinds of routines would you recommend for me? Keep in mind I currently have nothing to work with except my body weight. I can't afford any equipment at the moment, because my budget is stretched tight. So, what I am looking for is a completely equipment free circuit routine, with exercises that will be easy on joints and not cause pain. I have found a couple sites that has something that I maybe able to modify slightly, which are here:

http://fitnessblackbook.com/workout-routines/body-weight-circuits-are-kickin-my-butt/
    http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/circuit-training-exercises.html

Let me know what you guys think and share some of your ideas.

You look like a big guy like me; I was over 400 lb. when I started. For the love of god do low impact, start with cardio (Elliptical is great !! ) and stretching. When you have dropped some weight about 20 % of your body mass. Then start on some cardio and weights, ALWAYS make sure you have a good stretching routine. Now you will have to get a gym member ship ( YOUR HEALTH is worth it !!! ) . If you can not , then do power walking , or swim in at a public pool ( LOW IMPACT ) !!! When I started I could not get around the block , but I kept at it !!!!!! I now can do 60 mins at 140 heart rate !!!

When you first start out its all about getting into the routine of working out and burning calroies and losing the weight . you can not lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, but you can maintain the muscle so resistance training is good .
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with a lot of the regular excercises, only knee push ups for me too! I like the Biggest loser wii game tho, it puts workouts together for you or you can arrange them yourself, and it separates excercises into light, moderate, challenging, intense etc, plus I like that it tracks improvement, it gives you a score for each session based on how your form, timing, endurance was, so you can see yourself get better. I don't follow the game part of it, but I like the excercises.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    You look like a big guy like me; I was over 400 lb. when I started. For the love of god do low impact, start with cardio (Elliptical is great !! ) and stretching. When you have dropped some weight about 20 % of your body mass. Then start on some cardio and weights, ALWAYS make sure you have a good stretching routine. Now you will have to get a gym member ship ( YOUR HEALTH is worth it !!! ) . If you can not , then do power walking , or swim in at a public pool ( LOW IMPACT ) !!! When I started I could not get around the block , but I kept at it !!!!!! I now can do 60 mins at 140 heart rate !!!

When you first start out its all about getting into the routine of working out and burning calroies and losing the weight . you can not lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, but you can maintain the muscle so resistance training is good .

I currently weigh right around 310. Depending on the scale, and time of day, it ranges between 306 to 314. I was as high as 330, possibly higher, at one point. For me though, I have no problem with walking. I can walk a long time if I have a good pair of shoes. Even with a bad pair of shoes, I can still walk. It wasn't too long ago that I walked 8 miles. Sure, I was hot, and sweaty, and my feet were cramped at the end, but I was wearing a pair of running shoes I had just bought and didn't realize they would be so uncomfortable. I now walk 2 miles every couple days in those same shoes without them bothering me. The shoes stretched out enough for my wide feet.

I have a membership at the Y, and I have been trying to use it more than I have. The problem I have with swimming is that, even though it is low impact, it hurts my back after a few laps. I do the treadmill on mountain peaks, going 3.5 mph for an hour, and my heart rate is high (around 150), and if it starts getting much higher than that, I drop the incline a little so I can slow it down. I get bored walking any slower than that on the treadmill. I also get bored with the elliptical. I like the rowing machines, I just am bad at it, so I try using those more to improve.