Accuracy question

Options
My stationary bike tells me its estimate on how many calories I burn while on it. MFP gives me an estimate when I look it up. They are very very different numbers. Which one would be more accurate?

Replies

• Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It really depends, and on an awful lot of factors. For example, does your stationary bike measure your heart rate? If so, it's likely more accurate. Can you enter a manual weight on the bike, or is it fixed at a certain weight? If it's fixed, MFP would likely be more accurate. I wish I could help more, but that's all I've got =/
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would say average the two together and use that. That way not too much--not too little
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor will give you the best accuracy. Without that both are just making a guess. I have found that the MFP number is always higher than what my HRM gives me.
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It does have a heart rate monitor if I hold the handles which I never do. It does not have any place for me to input weight though. MFP says an hour of light cycling is like 500 calories and my bike says about 200, so huge difference. I guess I'll do that average between the two numbers and use that. Thanks.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It does have a heart rate monitor if I hold the handles which I never do. It does not have any place for me to input weight though. MFP says an hour of light cycling is like 500 calories and my bike says about 200, so huge difference. I guess I'll do that average between the two numbers and use that. Thanks.

If you have 75 lbs to lose, it's likely that 500 is closer for you. MFP is taking into account your weight and I think it's averaging what MFP users put in when they edit their own burn for a given exercise.

MFP isn't always too high. Sometimes I find the estimates too low for me; some are too high. Depends on the activity.
  • sqwerly
    sqwerly Posts: 31
    Options
    That's a big difference in calories burned!
    To be accurate you should invest in a HRM with a chest strap. You are worth it!
  • mommypennylane
    mommypennylane Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks.