Do you buy organic?

Options

Replies

• shatmae
    shatmae Posts: 8
    Options
    This is my job - I inspect organic and conventional farms for a living. There are certain things which people should definately buy as organic:
    1: Eggs - conventional and free range egg farmers use chemicals in the feeds called Synthatic Amino Acids - some of these are banned in the human food chain as they are carcinogens (can cause cancer) - ironically they can be used in monogastric (single stomach) animal feeds. These chemicals are banned from organic animal feeds.
    2: Milk - conventiol farmers have no restriction on the amount of processed compound feed given to dairy cows - in fact they do not even have to have access to pasture - this means on some dairy farms cattle never set foot in the fields. On orgnaic farms they have to have a minimum of 60% forage on a daily basis and they have to have access to pasture when weather permits. Due to the 60% forage rule most organic dairy farmers feed red clover silage which is high in protein but as a side health benefit this also generates more omega oils in the milk produced.
    3: Fruit and veg if you can afford it - some conventional lettuce for example can be sprayed 10 x - sprays banned in organic production systems.
    4: meat if you can afford it especially pork and chicken - if you have ever seen a broiler house containing 30 - 100,000 birds you would never buy conventional poultry again. Organic birds have to have access to pasture and the stocking densities are massively different. Also pigs in conventional intensive systems is awful - fed and live on slatted floors with a slurry pit underneath them. Organic pigs ahve to have to have access to pasture, wallows and shade - their is nothing finer than seeing an organic pig rooting around a field.
    5: GM depending on your belief and morals. 90% of conventional animals feed will contain GM modified organisms. These are outrightly banned in organic production. Use will result in instant de-certification of all production enterprises in contact with the GM product including fields which the animals have been on.

Hope this helps to enlighten your decisions,
    S.

I would like to point out in regards to number 2 that organic food does NOT mean free range food. Although it's more ideal to eat animal that were treated with more dignity, being fed organically doesn't mean free range as well. Free range doesn't mean organically either. As well depending on the country you reside in their may not even be requirements to label something as free range or organic. It's something to possibly look into especially to see what labels actually mean the animal was treated better (which I think is a bigger issue than pesticides, which is quite necessary in order to feed the number of humans there is on Earth)

As a side note, from what I've learned, organic food also does not mean it was not sprayed with pesticide. I believe it might change the amount of pesticide or possibly some of the chemicals involved, but it does not mean there isn't any pesticide.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Another reason to buy organic, especially with processed foods, is that organic foods cannot contain GMOS or HFCS. I buy organic ketchup and organic jarred spaghetti sauce because I know they will not contain GM tomatoes or HFCS, which I am trying to avoid altogether.

The evidence on HFCS is stacking up. It will be the next tobacco. Eventually the manufacturers will have to admit their product is very bad for the health of people who consume it. Right now they're in the denial stage.

I used to work at a corn wet milling plant that made HFCS. There's no such thing as organic HFCS, it takes too many chemicals just to create the stuff.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have a vegetable garden that is producing zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, peppers and jalapeno peppers, so I consider myself very lucky not to have to purchase those items; but when I need something other than those things, I'll go to the local farmers market. Not only do I feel I'm purchasing a better product, but I feel as if doing so might be good for the local economy.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I buy organic.

I don't think I'm over paying.

The money I save on conventional food will be later need to be used on environmental care.
    This. I don't think the prices are outrageous - you get what you pay for. I'm willing to give some things up because it is better for the environment and better for my health. We also subscribe to a CSA and receive a box of seasonal produce once a week for $22. My family eats a lot more veggies this way and it's fun to try new things (we don't know what will be in the box but we're able to give them a list of "won't eats" so they substitute if one of these items is on the delivery for that week). Check out local farmers too for cheaper prices on eggs, meat, and dairy.

Farmers give animals antibiotics to keep them alive because the animals live in a cramped petri dish. The conditions do not pass my test for reasonableness. I prefer my tasty, tasty beef to have a little space to get tasty.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No, I don't, with a few exceptions. Here's a great article that dispels some myths about organic produce.
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/04/30/the-lowdown-on-organic-foo/

Organic produce has not been shown to be any healthier in term of nutrients, and it is NOT pesticide/herbicide free. In many cases they use "natural" pesticides and herbicides, but in much much high quantities because they're less effective. Besides, a simple washing can usually remove most if not all of the pesticides on produce, and if you're really concerned about it they sell special soaps to do the job.

Organic processed foods can't contain GMO, but I'm skeptical about if GMO is really bad for you or not. The only food I actively strive to buy organic on is foods with soy, because I don't want to give my money to Monsanto, who holds the patent for GMO soy. They're a terrible, evil, corrupt corporation.

Honestly, if you want better quality produce, buy local. It's fresher, you're supporting small, local farmers, and organic or not, it will likely be better quality than anything you buy in a super market that's been picked over a week or so ago.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I buy local which, for me, is more important than buying "organic"
  • realized007
    Options
    there is no proof that organic food is more nutritious or safer, and most studies that have compared the taste and organoleptic quality of organic and conventional foods report no consistent or significant differences between organic and conventional produce.

Also, body of scientific literature have not found that organic food is any safer or healthier than conventional foods.

Claims of improved safety of organic food has largely focused on pesticide residues. While studies have shown organically grown fruits and vegetables have significantly lower pesticide residue levels, the significance of this finding on actual health risk reduction is debatable as both conventional foods and organic foods generally have pesticide levels well below government established guidelines for what is considered safe.

"organic" as of 2012 has no health benefits. actually that is a lie, it is good marketing.. they can charge you money =)

with that said, i dont waste money. i will however buy from local farmers, but i'll never spend more on "organic"
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I buy mostly organic, but I will use these as a guide (the lists change annually):

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

The lists are the "Dirty Dozen" and the "Clean Fifteen" - basically the produce you want to buy (that year) organic and the produce that's fine if it's conventional, based on levels of pesticide residue.

Plus, I actually find that a lot of organic produce just tastes better. For instance, a conventional banana is kind of bland, while an organic banana tastes, well, like a banana.

Can't help with animal products, as I don't consume them, but anything organic, in my opinion, is better. I think it's smarter to spend more money on something of higher quality and eat less of it, for many reasons.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    This is my job - I inspect organic and conventional farms for a living. There are certain things which people should definately buy as organic:
    1: Eggs - conventional and free range egg farmers use chemicals in the feeds called Synthatic Amino Acids - some of these are banned in the human food chain as they are carcinogens (can cause cancer) - ironically they can be used in monogastric (single stomach) animal feeds. These chemicals are banned from organic animal feeds.
    2: Milk - conventiol farmers have no restriction on the amount of processed compound feed given to dairy cows - in fact they do not even have to have access to pasture - this means on some dairy farms cattle never set foot in the fields. On orgnaic farms they have to have a minimum of 60% forage on a daily basis and they have to have access to pasture when weather permits. Due to the 60% forage rule most organic dairy farmers feed red clover silage which is high in protein but as a side health benefit this also generates more omega oils in the milk produced.
    3: Fruit and veg if you can afford it - some conventional lettuce for example can be sprayed 10 x - sprays banned in organic production systems.
    4: meat if you can afford it especially pork and chicken - if you have ever seen a broiler house containing 30 - 100,000 birds you would never buy conventional poultry again. Organic birds have to have access to pasture and the stocking densities are massively different. Also pigs in conventional intensive systems is awful - fed and live on slatted floors with a slurry pit underneath them. Organic pigs ahve to have to have access to pasture, wallows and shade - their is nothing finer than seeing an organic pig rooting around a field.
    5: GM depending on your belief and morals. 90% of conventional animals feed will contain GM modified organisms. These are outrightly banned in organic production. Use will result in instant de-certification of all production enterprises in contact with the GM product including fields which the animals have been on.

Hope this helps to enlighten your decisions,
    S.

I would like to point out in regards to number 2 that organic food does NOT mean free range food. Although it's more ideal to eat animal that were treated with more dignity, being fed organically doesn't mean free range as well. Free range doesn't mean organically either. As well depending on the country you reside in their may not even be requirements to label something as free range or organic. It's something to possibly look into especially to see what labels actually mean the animal was treated better (which I think is a bigger issue than pesticides, which is quite necessary in order to feed the number of humans there is on Earth)

As a side note, from what I've learned, organic food also does not mean it was not sprayed with pesticide. I believe it might change the amount of pesticide or possibly some of the chemicals involved, but it does not mean there isn't any pesticide.

You are correct in the technical term that Organic does not mean free range. But all lives stock in organic systems HAVE to have access to pasture (the general public know this as free range). The term free range is usually associated with a less intensive type of conventional farming with access to pasture usually certified to an assurance scheme standards, in the UK this the RSPCA's Freedom Foods.

Sadly in-correct about pesticides - all pesticides except natural remedies are banned in organic systems and as a side note all organic land must go through a two year conversion before any crops, produce or livestock can be sold as organic. This is so any residual pesticides have totally diminished before the produce is certified as organic.

Again hope this helps,
    S.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I was buying EVERYTHING organic and it doubled our food bill. I've hence given up on 100% and only purchase organic if the price is right or that's the only option. Sadly it's just so expensive for people in college so it's not something I can do all the time. When we have better income it will definitely be a preference. I also avoid most processed foods so that should help some.
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My issue with the organic eggs I get from family members is the yolks are too strong. I have always been a yolk hater and I don't know if its the breed of hens or just the result of them foraging for insects but the yolks are much brighter and a bit bigger and sadly I can't eat them most of time. I feel like a jerk tossing so many yolks when I get them for free and with all the benifits of eating the whole egg.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We buy some organics, like salad greens, and would tend to favor organics when there's an option that isn't too expensive. I buy from farmers markets frequently. Not all the produce there is organic, but a lot is, plus its more local and fresher.
  • AMC4x4
    AMC4x4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My wife buys mostly organic. The benefits have been pointed out earlier in the thread. When I see the difference in price, and being the sole breadwinner in the family, it's tough to go along with it, but I understand that the food is not only free from synthetic fertilizers and such, and probably has more nutrition, but the big benefits I think are twofold:

1) If you can afford it (well, we can't, but we're doing it anyway), you are sending a message to the mega-farms that there is a market for organic foods and that perhaps they need to contract with smaller farms to help produce a quality product that they can distribute for those who want a choice. As more and more people demand organic foods, hopefully the prices go down and we have more choice. Witness companies like Clorox making their "Green Works" line of products. If big companies see there is a market for a product, they will act to fulfill that need.

2) I really think 20 or 30 years from now, studies will show that so many of the illnesses people suffer from will be shown to have at least been exacerbated by the additives & synthetics that have been put in our "normal" food. Now, of course is it better to eat conventionally-grown foods than processed foods? Sure, I think if that's what you can do, of course that's better. But I think if you can take the extra step to go organic, it's just a whole other category of *possible* negative things that you're eliminating from your body.

So if you can do it, I think it's a good thing. Like I said, my wife gets a bit over the top about it sometimes, but overall I think that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Another big thing she got me out of is nitrates (nitrites?) in my processed meats, like turkey and chicken from the deli. I know lots of people on MFP make chicken and turkey a staple of their diets. You kind of have to. But I used to buy the regular store brand of these products, and now I do the Whole Foods saltless turkey. It's really bland, tastes and looks just like real turkey breast you sliced off yourself, but add a little pepper to it and yes I use mayo, and it's delicious. I also know Subway has gone to no nitrates in their turkey and I think roast beef. Alternately, if you go into Blimpies, they pull out a chicken loaf that I'm sure is full of preservatives. It's delicious, but it's pretty much off my menu now except for a once in a while treat. I used to have a turkey/cheddar/bacon sandwich on pretzel bread at least a couple times a week.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If I can find it then I do. Not too many options where I live and since our growing season is so short not too many local options. Some things I make sure I buy organic (thin skin, root veggies, etc.). Others such as oranges, melons not as big of a deal to me.

Items like canned goods I would not waste my time or money buying organic as most have just as much if not more sugars/salts added. I don't care if the items is organic when the put the same crappy preservatives in them. Kind of negates any health benefit.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Further, despite what most people believe, comprehensive government field testing to ensure the integrity of certified-organic crops and livestock does not occur. I have a problem with this.

Simple.:bigsmile:

Organic Integrity is given by Certification - if you go to a farmers market and something is advertised as Organic ask to see their Organic Certifcate or ask for their Certification details. It is illegal to sell anything as Organic which is not produced on Registered Organic Land. It is a legal claim and prosecutable under Trading Standards Legislation if someone sell a product without proper Certification.

^^^^^
    This!
    I work for an organic grain/seed producer and I can vouch that our opperations have to be inspected and certified on a yearly basis.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I buy some organics, but I focus on buying what is local and in season. Even if it isn't organic buying local supports local economy and is more nutritious than buying from grocery stores.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If we can afford it we buy it, sometimes the organic food is cheaper than the non organic!!! One thing I will always buy free range (not necessarily organic) are eggs and chicken, there really is a difference in taste, even the yolks are more yellow in colour.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Further, despite what most people believe, comprehensive government field testing to ensure the integrity of certified-organic crops and livestock does not occur. I have a problem with this.

Simple.:bigsmile:

Who pays my wages then?

Organic Integrity is given by Certification - if you go to a farmers market and something is advertised as Organic ask to see their Organic Certifcate or ask for their Certification details. It is illegal to sell anything as Organic which is not produced on Registered Organic Land. It is a legal claim and prosecutable under Trading Standards Legislation if someone sell a product without proper Certification.

Regards,
    S.
    It's too late; I'd rather just get my stuff from the market.
    I need to see some kind of difference.
    We used 5 star meats and a local farm that delivered.
    Not worth it.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    there is no proof that organic food is more nutritious or safer, and most studies that have compared the taste and organoleptic quality of organic and conventional foods report no consistent or significant differences between organic and conventional produce.

Also, body of scientific literature have not found that organic food is any safer or healthier than conventional foods.

Claims of improved safety of organic food has largely focused on pesticide residues. While studies have shown organically grown fruits and vegetables have significantly lower pesticide residue levels, the significance of this finding on actual health risk reduction is debatable as both conventional foods and organic foods generally have pesticide levels well below government established guidelines for what is considered safe.

"organic" as of 2012 has no health benefits. actually that is a lie, it is good marketing.. they can charge you money =)

with that said, i dont waste money. i will however buy from local farmers, but i'll never spend more on "organic"
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    And I don't give a rip about how animals are treated.
    Maybe it's a compassion thing for some. Fine.
    Count me OUT!
    All I care about is the end result.
    I see NO DIFFERENCE.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    And I don't give a rip about how animals are treated.
    Maybe it's a compassion thing for some. Fine.
    Count me OUT!
    All I care about is the end result.
    I see NO DIFFERENCE.

One thing to consider; if you have a plate of mixed conventional vegetables - all of which have been sprayed numerous times - even though the pesticides residues are low (below Legal MRL - Maximum Residue Levels) you are still mixing chemicals - who knows what the end consequence will be after 40 years - this argument is called The Chemical Time Bomb.

As for not giving a rip about animal welfare - it's fine except when something like BSE arrives and the possible link to CJD, or would you like to eat chicken which has had 40 days lying on it's breast because it can't walk because it has been fed too rich a diet - end result the breasts have been burnt with ammonia because it cant lift it's self out of it's own dung - Enjoy!

Regards,
    S.