Different Scales Weighing Me Differently

Options
ehte_h
ehte_h Posts: 293 Member
I was out and about in town over the weekend and thought i'd weigh myself in Boots just to keep track of my progress and it came up with 209lbs. However in the gym on Thursday I weighed 205lbs. I double checked my weight in the gym scales this morning and sure enough it was 205lbs. I asked the trainer who just gave me a funny look and said. 'yeah they all come out differently' and that was it. I'm not sure what to trust. Should I stick with the higher weight and go from there?

Replies

• fivefunones
    fivefunones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stick with the same scale :smile:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Agreed. Consistency is key!
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i use the same scale in the mornings only. if you do it too much it will discourage you if you are like me. water does add weight so i usually as soon as i get up weigh myself and i am done till the next day. hope this helps you:)
  • gharbron
    gharbron Posts: 3
    Options
    Agreed. Doesn't matter which scale you pick, just pick one and use it as your "official" scale. It might not be the most accurate in terms of your absolute weight, but it will tell you your weight loss from day-to-day, and that's what you're really looking for.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, most definately use the same scale. You also need to wear the same thing. For instance, if you usually wear no shoes and or no clothes, then weigh like that everytime to get a more accuate weight. The boots you had on probably added an extra 2 + pounds to your weight.
  • cannonfury2006
    cannonfury2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    2 scales at the place where I'm doing some work, weigh me as 170...mine at home weighs me as 164 o_O
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have a very good scale, but it has to be moved before I use it since its behind a door. if I don't move it to the same spot each time, then my weight could be different. I also have to place my feet in the same position each time, balanced left and right, If I stand to one side I could be out 4 pounds.

If you are using scales at home, weigh first thing in the morning, close to naked, after the bathroom, before eating/drinking.

If you weigh anywhere else - then you will be out of luck unless you want to strip, since different clothes have different weights.
  • icreate
    icreate Posts: 60
    Options
    have your own weighing scale :)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was originally using the b/f's old scale when I started. I decided I wanted a digital scale I could read without binoculars...LOL! So I got one and when I weighed myself, it said I was 2 pounds heavier than the old scale. So I chose to go by the new scale and ate those 2 pounds. I am not sorry I did. I would recommend having your own home scale, too. :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As others have said - for consistency weigh on the same scale at the same place, wearing the same clothes (or lack thereof), at the same time of day with the same food/hydration levels. Anything else will most likely yield inconsistent results and will not be an accurate gauge of actual weight gained/lost. Weighing at different times of the day and/or on different scales is a sure way to confuse/discourage yourself.
  • darcygooding
    Options

I agree. Every scale seems to be different. My scale at home weights me in at 171 while the one at the doctors office weights me in at 167. I just go with my scale at home because that's the one I have access to the most.
  • tamimac12
    tamimac12 Posts: 36
    Options
    this morning my scale weighed me at almost 9 pounds heavier than the day before... I certainly didn't eat 9 pounds of food! I WAS too low on my calories (too busy running around)

Funny thing about scales... when you get a number you like, you take it right off... get a number you don't, you say hmmm maybe I'll try again in a minute lol
  • missnikkithediva
    missnikkithediva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get your own scale and go by that. If you have to use a different scale (at the doctor's office, for instance), don't worry too much about their reading (especially if they aren't using a digital scale).