Has anyone tried TRX Training?

Options
Has anyone tried TRX Training? What did you think? I finished INSANITY (name does it justice!) and have just been running, but I am looking for something to supplement my cardio. I have four young children, so getting to the gym is often out of the question so I am looking for a workout I can do at home that doesn't require a lot of equipment.

Replies

• KettydeDios
    KettydeDios Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What is TRX training?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I own two suspension trainers similar to the TRX one. I use them at home. One is the CrossCore 180 and the other is the Jungle Gym XT. I absolutely love it, and have seen a lot in the way of functional strength gains from using them. I can now do pullups thanks to them.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What is TRX training?

TRX is a brand of suspension trainer. The unit itself is overpriced and not as good as competitors which are cheaper, but because of their strong market presence they are #1 in the industry. My personal recommendation is to buy a competitor's unit but get the DVDs from them.
  • nengelbrecht6
    Options
    I appreciate the response. After hearing your comments, I read some reviews and comparisons of the different suspension trainers. Seems a lot of people agree with you. I'm going to have to give the Jungle Gym XT a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've used them at my gym. They're good, but I think they're overrated. Expensive too. Plus you be better damned sure you hit that stud when you put it on the wall.

You can however get a lot of exercises in with them
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I did a "boot camp" that primarily used the TRX equipment a couple of years ago. Like most things it gave back whatever you put into it. it was a nice change of pace at the time.
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    Yeah, I include a number of exercises on a suspension trainer as part of my workouts. It is a great way to mix up and add to certain routines you may already do. For example, lunges on a suspension trainer technically still work your legs and butt, but add a lot of stability to the exercise and you will feel it in your midsection a lot more. I think they can be great to add in to a weight training routine
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use it as apart of my strength training at the gym.

I like it, but it is really overpriced so I'd never buy one for home.
  • EmptyCokeCan
    EmptyCokeCan Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually just bought one for the home (with door anchor) I used one while deployed as part of my rehab for a broken back and leg injury. I'm limited in what I can do because of my back and legs, and know I can use this with no issue.
  • harris_bobbie
    Options
    I bought a TRX with Door Anchor and love it. I was introduced to it by a trainer so I had a very good (and supervised) introduction to a wide variety of the exercises you can do with it. The reason I bought my own was because I moved with my military husband overseas and wanted to have something I could do anywhere. The TRX certainly fits the bill.

It's a great all-over body work-out. There are a ton of videos on YouTube to help you put together a routine and see the form of the exercises.
  • iamallison
    iamallison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i actually made my own for about 20 bucks total.

best thing i've ever done!! i found tons of exercises via google/youtube.

to check out how to do it, i used this site:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/2010/01/13/homemade-suspension-trainer/

(i just couldn't justify spending $100+ on something I KNOW i could make. I found some pretty hefty straps and mount at home depot)