What made you stop binge eating FOR GOOD?

Options
Ugh. I'm typing this from my bed and I feel like dying. I ate over 5000 calories yesterday and it's like I can't even look in the mirror without being disgusted.

To give a little background on me: I'm not overweight and never have been, but I've developed a ridiculously unhealthy relationship with food. I will eat MASSIVE amounts of food - and generally do, a few times a month - but I always feel like crap afterward. I always tell myself that I'm going to stop binging and that I will eat normally and healthfully but a few days or maybe a week down the road I'll always come back to those cookies and cakes. Of course, I eat below my calorie limit for several days in a row in attempt to "make up" for these binges, but that's just textbook yo-yoing. I feel so dumb, and I feel like I'll never learn.

I'm sick of this. I'm sick of my obsession with food. I'm sick of counting calories every single day as I've done for the past 5 months - literally, I've not missed ONE day. I want to go back to the old me who knew when to stop eating, who exercised and enjoyed it and didn't use it as punishment. But it seems like no matter what I do, I can't break free from my mind. When I get in that binge zone, I am in the zone, and I go at it, hard.

To all former bingers, what did it in for you? Was it therapy? Was it something someone said? Was it the feeling after a particular binge? I'm so desperate to stop binging for good...I appreciate the support. Thank you.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I haven't binged in over a month, which doesn't sound like much, but it's a big deal for someone who has always either not eaten enough or chowed down on thousands more calories than I needed in a day.

I went low carb, but that is no cure all. Yesterday I had binge cravings like mad. I tried to reason myself into giving in because my appetite didn't exist for foods that aren't binge friendly like eggs or steak. Then logic kicked in. If I was really hungry, I'd eat the eggs or steak or whatever, woudn't I? Which means those cravings were at least mostly mental. I know I take my vitamins, I know I don't feel lightheaded or sick even now that I'm too low on calories for two days. I know if it was hunger, real hunger, I wouldn't have a specific food craving.

So that's what I'm trying to teach myself. A test to see if I'm really hungry. I ask myself, yeah, you want a burger? Would a steak do as well? Or eggs? If the answer is no, then it's not real hunger. I'm sick of my body's demands for specific foods and I'm going to keep right on denying those demands. If food is for fuel, then any reasonably healthy food should do the trick.
  • zasae
    zasae Posts: 30
    Options
    I became disgusted with foods . Watching programs on how it's made and things like that . And mashing the foods up , weel they became just un-appetising . And watching people eat also turned me off , hearing somebody chew makes me cringe .

It's also alot to do with willpower . You've got to weigh the guilt vs. how nice will that food be :)
  • Jayneopopsidoodle
    Jayneopopsidoodle Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump.... I need to read this...later x
  • lorelei105
    lorelei105 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to see what people have to say about this; I have the same problem and have been stuck in the same cycle as you for a while now.
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Binge eating and over eating have nothing to do with will power or control. It has to do with Choice.

I have spoken at length about binge eating and over eating in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/656765-bingers

Give it a quick read :-)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it.

If it's in the house, I'll eat it. If they aren't here, well... I can't eat them.

Best defense IMO.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it.

If it's in the house, I'll eat it. If they aren't here, well... I can't eat them.

Best defense IMO.

This one helps me, too. I resisted this advice at first, hoping a little once in awhile would satisfy me, but it never does.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The ultimate slap on the head; I was diagnosed with Diabetes. I took control and stopped the nonsense that very day.
  • Successful21
    Successful21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a good answer yet but just know that you're not alone. Btw therapy is a good option.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I got tired of feeling like s**t the next day. I would binge eat/drink/combo and then wake up the next morning with heartburn, sweating, indigestion, etc. I always knew that it wasn't worth it but I kept doing it anyway. So mentally, I had to get over that hurdle.

Other things that helped were that I:
    1. Ate more calories in my daily/weekly diet
    2. Gave myself more treats so that I didn't feel deprived once the weekends came around
    3. Got more relaxed with my restaurant meals. I branched out from just salads, again so I didn't feel deprived later.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I have the same problem, but it's usually every weekend. It's so depressing. I never lose any weight. And I hate myself for eating so much crap. I'm fine during the week. I need to know how to stop this. I need to break this cycle ASAP. It also doesn't help that my husband loves these cheat days cuz he would eat like that every day if he could. He never gains weight, and doesn't think about the health consequences. My friend mentioned a podcast that's supposed to help you change the way you think about food. I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully it will work. Anyone else interested, http://personallifemedia.com/podcasts/216-inside-out-weight-loss

14877786.png
  • glitterpiss
    glitterpiss Posts: 113
    Options
    I find that the more I log accurately, the less I want to binge because I'm holding my self accountable. When I binge, I usually don't realize I'm doing it, so I log the foods right as I eat them so I can tell when I've had enough. I hate being way over my daily goals, so it motivates me to refrain from binging.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try Reading Dr. A's Habits of Health by Dr. Wayne Anderson you have to change the habits and atomosphere associated with your binging
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow as I sometimes go mad when I have finished logging, oops confession time.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you've recognised that it's not healthy is a massive step. There's no quick fix unfortunately. What is working for me so far, is trying to identify why I turn to food. When did you start binging? What is it that triggers the desire to binge? And yeah, I do remember how I'll feel the next day which can stop me from over-indulging. Therapy worked for me. Talk to your dr if you can and see about getting referred. Or if you have access to free counselling then go for it. The fact that you want to make a change is positive. I'm not gonna lie, it's probably not going to be easy. Delving into your past can be distressing but once you've done it the sense of achievement and the control you regain is immense and completely worth it. But this is just my method and what works for me. It may nto work for you, but could be worth a try. I hope any of that made sense! Add me if you want any support. :-)
  • becsnz1
    becsnz1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    But it seems like no matter what I do, I can't break free from my mind. When I get in that binge zone, I am in the zone, and I go at it, hard.

To all former bingers, what did it in for you? Was it therapy? Was it something someone said? Was it the feeling after a particular binge? I'm so desperate to stop binging for good...I appreciate the support. Thank you.

For me, therapy. You described perfectly when you"get in that binge zone, I am in the zone". Binging is a behaviour where you are 'out of control' and no matter what people say to do or to try, it is a psychological issue that I only really overcame with therapy. Best thing I ever did, I learned so much about myself and triggers and why I became that way.

Even now I still have the odd time where it feels like a binge though it is more over eating. However what I 'binge' on now is nowhere near close to the two packets of chocolate biscuits, 300grams of lollies that I would shovel down in ten minutes despite feeling sick and guilty and having countless conversations in my head while trying to get that food out of my sight as quickly as possible so I can not keep eating it uncontrollably.

I wish you well, please feel free to private message me if need be.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    As soon as I started eating a healthy amount for my weight, I found that the binges stopped completely. I also found the cravings began to subside and now have totally disappeared. Find out your TDEE and eat just under it. That should help! http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ Hope this helps :)
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    I haven't been on here long - but I can honestly say that it is BECAUSE of MFP and all the wonderful and supportive people here that I can now say no to "more". I used to eat whole triple packets of biscuits a day, the HUGE bars of chocolate and 2 or 3 servings of dinner. Seeing "under his or her" calorie goal inspires me, seeing myself keep my own goal keeps me going, even better being able to add exercises to feel accomplished and seeing 6lbs drop off in a week and how easy the changes I made were :) Every time I think I want more - I remember all my new friends and their own struggles, I think of my family, my boyfriend and those surfing lessons I really, REALLY want. We may be miles apart but they (and you all) know how I feel, I know how they feel. I suddenly feel very... clear headed and more in control. It's been a blessing I wish I came here sooner :) GOOD LUCK, feel free to add for some binge support as all of us have been there at some point or other. :wink:

p.s. when I binge it's the same. I lose control and the words I always feel are "reckless abandon". When I am stressed I eat and eat and eat and for those precious minutes I don't CARE about anything because it was too much to deal with reality. It is like a frenzy and I love every moment of it - but it's not healthy and it wont help me in the long run. Of course when I came back to reality I not only had all my other problems, but the new feelings of guilt and the necessity to compensate as well. Hope this helps.
  • melry77
    melry77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do you live alone? Most bingers will only binge when alone, I used to and would have been mortified if anybody saw me during a"big one". Figure out when you're most likely to binge, weekend evenings or when you are hung over or tired, and just make yourself busy. Go see some friends or just get out of the house. Don't keep your trigger foods around either. Tell yourself you can have whatever you want but you have to go out to get it and eat it in public. This might help.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I will also add that binge eating is usually about more than food--which is why counseling can be helpful. I have known people who have also found answers and support (as well as a way to eat healthy for life) at overeaters anonymous. If you google the organization, you will find links for local meetings.