Gettin ripped back muscles

Options
My back and core muscles are very weak after sitting out for months while recovering from surgeries. I ran bleachers the other day, only to completely deplete myself of energy (I got nauseously sick) , and still 2 days later my back is very sore. I don't think bleachers really exercise back muscles much at all!

I know doing planks, and working out on the row machine at the gym will help. Do you know of other exercises that will help me get my strength back? Perhaps I should start working out more slowly with less challenging exercises? I'm feeling bummed out since I'm not able to do the exercises I was able to do just a few months ago! Grr! :explode:

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Which back muscles?

The ones along the lower spine? Back squats, deadlifts, good mornings, bridges, reverse planks, superman hold, elbow lever, back lever.

The ones around the shoulder blades? Rows, pullups/chinups, lat pulldown, front lever.

Upper middle/neck area? Any vertical plane pushing or pulling exercise (OHP, dips, handstand, handstand pushups, pullups, L-sit, shrugs).
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    I've noticed my soreness is usually along my spine, lower to mid back. So not only do I want to strengthen this area, but also to increase my overall core strength as well. That way I won't keep experiencing muscle fatigue/poor posture during the day.

I always push myself to exercise, but inevitably my body just begins to give out much too quickly, and I'm certain it's due to weakened muscles in those areas.

You definitely got me heading in the right direction. Thanks for listing out the various exercises!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love working back! I find you really need to use heavier weights that give you a challenge in order to see the muscles get ripped, but if you're working back into it make sure you don't overexert yourself.

I do a 4-day split routine, and today's back routine was:

3 sets x 10 reps incline pullups (I lay down under a smith machine bar set down low with my legs straight out in front of me, then pull up over my chin)
    3 x 8 bent over row with barbell
    3 x 8 seated cable row
    3 x 10 lat pulldown
    3 x 8 one armed row with dumbbells
    3 x 10 pull over machine
    3 x 8 hyperextentions
    3 x 1 minute blanks on stability ball
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thunder_dan
    Options

3 sets x 10 reps incline pullups (I lay down under a smith machine bar set down low with my legs straight out in front of me, then pull up over my chin)
    3 x 8 bent over row with barbell
    3 x 8 seated cable row
    3 x 10 lat pulldown
    3 x 8 one armed row with dumbbells
    3 x 10 pull over machine
    3 x 8 hyperextentions
    3 x 1 minute blanks on stability ball

This sounds like a great routine, especially the hyper-extensions. Those will definitely hit the spot for sure! If I'm not mistaken, these hyper-extensions are the same as superman planks?
  • thunder_dan
    Options
    I checked online, and hyper-extensions are the same as superman planks.