No loss this week :( Help!

Options
So I've lost about 17 pounds in three months, every week so far I have lost at least something. But I weighed myself this morning and I gained 0.2 of a pound. I dont understand why!
I've been eating like I normally do, I didn't go over my calories once and I've been exercising MORE this week then most. I was expecting another good loss and to see this really discourages me. :(

My food diary is open if you want to take a look at it, its set at 1250 a day but I don't eat my exercise calories usually and therefore I don't normally log all of the exercise I did that day.

Please any advice? Last time I tried to lose weight I was stuck on the exact same number for a month so I lost motivation and gave up... stupid 163...

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    What a trainer once told me is this: You have to eat crappy, junk food once in a while to keep loosing. Our bodies need crap. But once in a while. At that time, for me, it was once a week...
    Many said he was right...

Your diary is very good. Get a pizza, then return to your habits and weight in a week after or so...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There have been weeks where I lost nothing then lost 2 pounds the next week. I wouldn't worry. :)
  • lisabruce12
    lisabruce12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about 170... It hadn't budged in over a year but then I wasn't really doing much about it. The I found MFP and i haven't lost very much but it is keeping me motivated.

It sounds like you have hit a plateau. Not to worry. You don't want to eat less or your body may try to hang onto it (happens to some people). You may want to try eating back your exercise cals... or I also heard you should eat what you want for 1-2 days and then get back on track.

It will start to come off again. Don't give up!
  • violabeatle
    violabeatle Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Change up your routine! Do a different exercise, eat a completely different meal. Sometimes that shocks your body into losing again! Good luck :)

I've been on MFP for about 3.5 months now and lost 11 lbs. It's been slow, but I'd rather it come off at a slow and steady rate and I'm able to maintain it than have it fly off and come back with a vengeance. Just keep pushing!
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is how it goes sometime, I had lost every single week up until 2 weeks ago and nothing. Remeber, the more you lose, the harder you will have to work to lose more, make sense? I've lost 27lbs. Example, in the begining I would burn 520 for just walking 4.0 an hour, now I only burn 410 for the same time and pace. You see. This is why I tell my larger friends to take advantage and burn as much as you can now, because it will be harder down the road. I also notice as you just said, working out harder, you see a small weight gain. Remember you build muscle, but this will even out over time. Just take it one day at a time and make sure you measure, I can't stress it enough. We tend to over estimate workouts and underestimate the cals we intake. Be careful of this.

Good luck
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You can try changing things up a bit. Maybe do a different workout, eat some different kinds of healthy food. I'm a big believer in keeping the body guessing by never getting too set in a routine. I'll switch between tae bo, elliptical, stationary bike, outside bike riding, hiking, etc. But mostly you have to realize if you're doing everything right sometimes the scale is going to stay where it is for a week or two. You're doing awesome so far!
  • TheGarthock
    TheGarthock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That happened to me last week. Then after a week and 2 days the scale read that I lost a little over 2lbs and now 3 days after that another 2 and a half. I dunno why the scale wouldn't budge. Maybe different nutritional things caused my body to hold onto more water through the week? I really don't know. One thing I read was that if you drink alcohol (which I do, I own a pub) your body doesn't make a hormone needed to break down fats and the next day you have lower testosterone and increased levels of estrogen. That's for men! Women have a lot more going on hormonally which makes me think women must have more of these "plateaus" than men; Mine lasted over a week. Don't get discouraged. Ever time I've broken through a plateau it's been more like opening a damn if you stick to it. When you start losing again it'll hopefully be at a slightly higher rate than usual. This is just in my opinion from my experience. Good luck.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Water weight most likely. Some weeks I don't lose at all and then a few weeks later all the pounds I expected to lose from the calorie deficit comes off all at once seemingly lol. Focus on the change in the mirror and the fit of your clothes ;)
  • tammyandzach
    tammyandzach Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Average what you lost the last 3 weeks if you are still on track then be encouraged.
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hang in there! Like a snorkeler who's been swimming under water for awhile and has to come up at last for a good, deep breath of fresh air, your body is making an adjustment. Keep at it, change up your work out a little (and add a few extra minutes) and in a bit, your body will make that adjustment and you'll start losing again. Don't give up!:flowerforyou:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If you've been working out harder than usual this week it's almost certainly water weight that your muscles are hanging on to. Once your body adjusts to the more intense workout it will drop off pretty much overnight--at least, that's my experience.

What previous posters have said is correct--women can fluctuate up to 5 or more lbs just based on their cycle, too. One week of 'setback' is nothing. You want to keep an eye on trends and see where you are in 3 weeks. One week is too short of a time scale to be worried about.
  • nikki_1123
    nikki_1123 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've all helped a ton and there's no way I'm giving up again. :)
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've all helped a ton and there's no way I'm giving up again. :)

This is A #1. Don't.. I can give you a laundry list of things that those .2 lbs could have been. From simple things to toilet things... I wouldn't worry about..

#2: Doing the same exact thing over a period of time will eventually cause a plateau. It doesn't matter that it is, some form of variety is an important part of any plan.

#3: Someone already said it. It's an extreme example, but, bodybuilders (who eat insanely clean for 6 out of 7 days of the week, forget any chemicals they may be putting in their bodies or supplements they may be using) have a cheat day, and, it usually consists of cookies and ice cream... Seriously.

I took a look at your diary and it looks like you are doing very well. You should be proud of yourself and even reward yourself. Have some comfort food or some chinese take out or whatever your guilty little pleasure is. Don't go nuts, but, have a cheat day. You'll be amazed how it might kick start you.