Hello..just started today

Options
cindys0417
cindys0417 Posts: 1,135 Member
Hi there..my name is Cindy and Im 65 years old. I want to lose 50 lbs by Christmas. Thats about 10 lbs per month. I need to start exercising and drinking more water. Any suggestions on what exercises I could do easily and about drinking more water. Thanks much!

Replies

• Lovelil68
    Lovelil68 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, and welcome! I'm 43 and I started losing weight back in march. I'm down 31 lbs. My biggest tools have been walking and water. I drink at least 96 oz of water per day and I walk at least 5 days a week, for at least 20 to 25 minutes. Do that and stay on your calories goal and you'll do fine. Good luck!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, welcome to MFP! Joining here is the best thing I ever did for myself. I will be turning 65 in December. I have lost over 50 pounds since last Christmas. Most of that loss has come from weighing and measuring everything I eat, drinking lots of water, and walking...lots of walking. When I first started I could only walk a couple of blocks...now I can walk 3 or 4 miles at a time. I also found that the more water you drink the more you want, so try to get in 8 glasses a day...believe me, it really does help. The weeks where I drank the most water I lost the most weight.

So, my advice to you: Log your food everyday...drink lots of water...and walk, walk, walk. That will get you off to a great start. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, Carole
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, welcome to MFP! Joining here is the best thing I ever did for myself. I will be turning 65 in December. I have lost over 50 pounds since last Christmas. Most of that loss has come from weighing and measuring everything I eat, drinking lots of water, and walking...lots of walking. When I first started I could only walk a couple of blocks...now I can walk 3 or 4 miles at a time. I also found that the more water you drink the more you want, so try to get in 8 glasses a day...believe me, it really does help. The weeks where I drank the most water I lost the most weight.

So, my advice to you: Log your food everyday...drink lots of water...and walk, walk, walk. That will get you off to a great start. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, Carole

Awesome advice!

And welcome Cindy! You're gonna LOVE it here!!
  • cqueenbee12
    cqueenbee12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    And don't give up! Persistence is key! Just because you don't see that scale moving very quickly or right away doesn't mean that you should give up. Just stick to it! Keep your head up and put one foot in front of the other and just walk a little more. The friends and support you will find on mfp is amazing!
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp...great advice from everyone..... I am 39 and have lost 40lbs. since Feb 21st...log everything...water is definately going to be your best friend...you will get a lot of diet advice on what to eat or not to eat...find what works for you, your body and your lifestyle...remember this is your journey...there are a lot of supportive people on this site...develop your own little cheering section.... that will help you stay motivated... don't just depend on the scale measure yourself as well...for when the scale stalls you might just find encouragement in the measurements... good luck to you on your journey... you have made a great 1St step just by being here..

Walking is my exercise of choice...find a good trail a lake or even your local mall and walk..
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are in the right place!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hi there..my name is Cindy and Im 65 years old. I want to lose 50 lbs by Christmas. Thats about 10 lbs per month. I need to start exercising and drinking more water. Any suggestions on what exercises I could do easily and about drinking more water. Thanks much!

Not to be a DOWNER here, but you shouldn't give yourself an END date. The goal of 50 pounds is awesome and you could definitely do it. Just don't rush it.
  • rukus1
    rukus1 Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi Cindy, I'm going to be 65 in September and my goal is to loose 50 pounds at one pound a week. I'm three weeks into this program and it has helped so much to be reminded to measure and weight everything. Add me, we'll be in it together.
  • KatieSchoey
    Options
    As far as water goes I would try to make it fun, that said, drink your water in different glasses how about a like a fancy wine class, add a lemo
    I would try water classes first or maybe or walking.
    Stay focused and strong!
    Sincerely
  • jibbala
    jibbala Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise and I think its because I do things I enjoy and I do a wide variety of things. When the weather is good (which is most of the year in Az) I will go hiking once or twice a week, go to spin two to three times a week, throw in a hot yoga class and maybe do a video at home. I love all these things. Now its the summer and so warm out so I replace hiking with an extra yoga class, spin class or do some circuit training. The bigges thing is consistency and the best way to ensure this is to make sure you do something you enjoy. The other aspect of exercise is the impact it has on your mental health as well. You will feel so much better if you are taking time to not only be healthy but also do something that makes you happy!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    Options
    You can friend me. I am 63 and trying to lose at least 50 more lbs. I been on MFP since Jan and lost about 34 here and had lost 20 before I joined. My exercise is walking and I drink alot of water.
  • veduffey
    veduffey Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi Cindy: My name is Victoria and I am 67. Started the program in June and absolutely love it. I am still working full time so I drink 32 oz of water while I am on the treadmill in the am and 32 oz on my way home from work in the car. I have lost 6 lbs so far. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like. Victoria:flowerforyou:
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the great welcome messages and great ideas. I think I will try walking for a while and making sure I drink my water. I know when I get hungry and drink my water..it makes me forget Im hungry! :)
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :) MFP has great groups and support. I hope you love it here and meet all of your health goals!:flowerforyou:
  • cljulius
    cljulius Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been on here about a week. I am finding that logging what I eat and drink really makes me think about what I am putting in my body. I am doing multiple things for exercise. My girls and I bike ride about once a week, I walk on my elliptical 2-3 times a week. Then there are days that we do the Wii Fit to get in our exercise. I feel guilty if I look at my log and don't see any exercise so I am trying to do at least a little every day, which is a big change because I am not an exercise type of person. Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!