Walking Question

Options
I've found that walking my dogs is the one exercise I really enjoy, can stick with, and will make time for on a regular basis. I try to keep a pretty good speed, but I'm not burning a ton of calories. Most of our walks are around 30 minutes because the heat has been so severe here lately. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could possibly do to burn more calories in that amount of time with just walking? Should I just try to fit in maybe a second short walk later in the day when it cools off and my schedule allows it? Basically I'm wondering if I'm doing enough exercising to lose 1-2 pounds a week if walking is the only thing I'm doing (besides counting calories). Thanks!

Replies

• BrandiL83
    BrandiL83 Posts: 100
    Options
    Maybe try Walk Away the Pounds? I heard they are good. My stepmom lost a ton of weight doing them. You can get the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks right on youtube.

Here is a link to her 1 mile walk, you can easily find the 2 and 3 mile ones on there :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE&list=PLC41DCCA93B4DB208&index=1&feature=plpp_video
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    can you adjust the speed in which you are walking, to make it more of an interval work out? For example, walk five minutes normal pace, then five minutes as fast you can go, then slow it down again, etc. Or, if you are up for it, you could always add in some jogging intervals? Another suggestion is to throw in a block (or two, or three) of walking lunges...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with no exercise at all, but exercise allows you to eat more :)
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    What if you tried playing some frisbee with the dogs? Or maybe when you walk try to jog for a bit/pause and do jumping jacks, just something extra.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Walk Away the Pounds? I heard they are good. My stepmom lost a ton of weight doing them. You can get the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks right on you tube.
    i love Walk Away the pounds!!!
  • BrandiL83
    BrandiL83 Posts: 100
    Options
    Maybe try Walk Away the Pounds? I heard they are good. My stepmom lost a ton of weight doing them. You can get the 1, 2 and 3 mile walks right on you tube.
    i love Walk Away the pounds!!!

I heard they were good from a few people. I am going to start doing the 1 mile walk with my Slim in 6 workout.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I use the Endomondo app on my phone to track the miles I walk and calories burned. You might be surprised at the exercise you're getting. But, as they say, the best exercise is the one you will do on a consistent basis. Any walk is a good thing, but I agree that walking faster, then slower, in intervals is supposed to be best at giving you a workout. I totally understand how hard it is to get out and get any exercise when it is hot.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can lose 1-2 lbs per week without any exercise at all. The point of exercise isn't weight loss. Calorie deficit governs weight loss.
  • rafik_hany
    rafik_hany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs by just walking daily for at least half an hour at a pace of 4.0-4.5 miles/hour....It's the best exercise and it doesn't put any efforts on your knees. Keep on walking as you stick to your specified amount of daily calories.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Get a weighted vest and wear it while walking.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can also up the calories you burn by wearing ankle weights. Once your walks are really easy, wear weights. (Or even walk carrying a heavy backpack if you have one...you don't need to spend money to add weight bearing.)
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've never been a lover of exercise but I'm learning to love it. From the beginning of my journey, I worked my way up to walking at least half an hour a day. I find walking my dogs great but they go slower than I would like. (male dogs + trees = no walking) I used Walk Away the Pounds quite a bit or walk alone. The DVDs are great when the weather's not its finest. And as Lesley says 'using all muscles'......

When I got better with exercise, I then worked in an elliptical and exercise bike on the days I didn't feel like walking. Now I'm still walking for my cardio (exercising the ol' lungs and ticker) but I'm also supplementing with P90. I was amazed that I could do push-ups the first time I pressed play :D......

I guess I'm just working my way up the 'exercise belt' slowly.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all the great suggestions! I really appreciate it.