Is there a healthier oatmeal?

Options
I'm new at this eating healthy stuff :P Ok, i've always liked veggies, but now I'm wandering into the heretofore undiscovered (by me) realm of oatmeal. I like it IN things, but oatmeal as a breakfast makes me want to gag. Is there a difference in calories, nutrients between quick oats and others?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat it. There's a billion other foods in the world. But if you want to try it, how about doing a baked oatmeal bar or something? Do a google search for baked oatmeal bars... or here's one I have but I haven't tried:
    http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/healthy-baked-oatmeal/

Steelcut oats are my preference for just eating, but they're more dense and chewy.

I also like plain yogurt, w/uncooked oatmeal, fruit and either vanilla extract or torania syrups - put in the refrigerator overnight (so the oats get soft) and then you'll have a yummy morning breakfast. My favorite is w/bananas and frozen cherries.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i love steel cut oats... yummy

maybe try other forms of breakfast I make spinach omlets with egg betters and a slice of wheat toast
    Fiber flakes and almond milk

There are plenty of filling breakfast options!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY like the 'refrigerator oatmeal'. I add a scoop of unflavored protein powder and chia seeds for the protein count as well.

recipes here: http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/browse/Oatmeal

and here is the MFP forum with more ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/641423-overnight-oats-why-didn-t-i-do-this-sooner

Good luck
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'd love to incorporate eggs, but now I have a sensitivity to them. I used to eat them all the time, but when I got pregnant with my youngest I couldn't eat them anymore. I still can't and he's 15 lol.
    i love steel cut oats... yummy

maybe try other forms of breakfast I make spinach omlets with egg betters and a slice of wheat toast
    Fiber flakes and almond milk

There are plenty of filling breakfast options!
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll try that. I think an oatmeal bar would be yummy. I like oatmeal in cookies! :) The stuff I've tried ( instant and quick) was mushy, but i've heard steel cut isn't like that.
    If you don't like it don't eat it. There's a billion other foods in the world. But if you want to try it, how about doing a baked oatmeal bar or something? Do a google search for baked oatmeal bars... or here's one I have but I haven't tried:
    http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/healthy-baked-oatmeal/

Steelcut oats are my preference for just eating, but they're more dense and chewy.

I also like plain yogurt, w/uncooked oatmeal, fruit and either vanilla extract or torania syrups - put in the refrigerator overnight (so the oats get soft) and then you'll have a yummy morning breakfast. My favorite is w/bananas and frozen cherries.
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    I do the steel cut oats as well, cooked "al dente", and toss in cinnamon, half a tablespoon of brown sugar or honey, half a chopped apple, and some walnuts. It feels like you're eating mostly apple, with a little chewy mixed in. (I make 2 servings at a time, then just reheat the other portion the next day)
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I really REALLY like the 'refrigerator oatmeal'. I add a scoop of unflavored protein powder and chia seeds for the protein count as well.

recipes here: http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/browse/Oatmeal

and here is the MFP forum with more ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/641423-overnight-oats-why-didn-t-i-do-this-sooner

Good luck

this is my new favorite thing in the whole wide world. I had mango almond today... I added some almond slivers. OMG. Ican't wait for breakfast each day!
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I cook an egg over easy and put in my oatmeal. The yolk gives it so much flavor that I don't need butter.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Just buy plain and add some nice yummy berries x
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Just buy plain and add some nice yummy berries x

That is how I eat mine. I also add a pack of Splenda... :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I eat the old fashioned oats. I think quick oats are ok if I'm at work, but if I am at home with a stove in front of me, I'm going the traditional route.

If it is the mush that you hate, you can use less water when you cook it, and throw in some nuts and fruit when you're done. I always mix in fruit, nuts, and then top with a dollop of vanilla greek yogurt. The nuts and yogurt give it some protein, the fruit makes it taste good, and the oatmeal itself gives me some fiber to keep things moving.

One of my favorite combinations is with apple chunks, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. Another classic is berries (raspberries or blueberries) and almonds.

I used to make fun of my dad for eating oatmeal for breakfast because I thought it was old people food, but I guess I'm old now too. I can't function without a certain level of fiber, and oatmeal is just the easiest way for me to get it without getting gas.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,015 Member
    Options
    the refrigerator oatmeal sounds yummy, i will have to try it
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just remember that you don't have to make yourself like anything, and that breakfast does not have to be a "breakfast" food. I typically eat cereal every morning, but once in a while I will enjoy a skinless chicken breast and a fresh tomato. Don't set yourself up to fail by forcing foods you don't like....no need for suffering! Good luck to you!!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    OH, and this recipe, uses the steel cut..and omg, I can't even keep it around long enough to get a bowl, lol..my hubby and daughter devour it:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Cherry_Almond_Oatmeal#EmbedRecipe_106
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I love porridge, but another yummy way to have oats, similar to overnight is to grate an apple into a bowl, add a few raisins or cranberries, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a tablespoon of flaked almonds, two tablespoons of oats and then fill the bowl with milk. Leave in the fridge overnight, and it is utterly addictive by the next morning.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love the Insanity Proatmeal receipe. 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop of protein powder (I use chocolate/strawberry), 1/4 cup of berries topped off with chopped walnuts. Very Yummy!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I only eat instant oatmeal and i cut up a banana in it. i like the apple/cinnamon or maple brown sugar flavors. i might even add milk sometimes to it.