What's the healthiest way to order fish at a restaurant?

Options
What's the healthiest way to order fish at a restaurant?

Definitely not fried of course. But what about grilled, baked, or blackened? What is the best option?

Replies

• saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Baked or broiled, I think
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Grilled is a favorite of mine.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    aside from fried they are all going to be somewhat close.. go with what tastes good for you
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I go for grilled or broiled myself. Those tend to be my favorite ways of cooking fish anyhow :)
  • tonyf5
    tonyf5 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I had tried researching this on my own online and I came across conflicting information. Seemed like baked/broiled, but one site said blackened (http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/healthy-seafood-choices-restaurants-00412000071078/)

I think the key may be to ask for the kitchen to go light on the butter when preparing it!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me sir, I would like to order the fish please".
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    Options
    Poached or steamed are probably the healthiest, (no butter or oil is used most times) You could always ask them to do this. Barring that grilled or broiled.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Grilled or broiled. FYI, blackened is done in high heat in a cast iron frying pan with the fish coated in creole seasoning and fried in oil at supper high heat. Not horrible but not the healthiest.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Steamed would seem like one with least added calories and keeping the goodness. Sushi for ultimate I would guess (until you stick the rest of it together).

However, I find both of the above vile and an affront to food. Today had tapas which included a white fish in a light batter (wasn't tempura but maybe added soda water to it) with a white wine and herb dressing - wow it was nice but no chance of finding it on the food database as can't remember proper name even. Not good for the body but my soul is singing.

When I was in Morocco, went fishing (on a boat) and the caught sardines were, gutted, bbq'd and stuck between slices of baguette, so from line to stomach in 10 mins ... that was nice and quite healthy.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Broiled, grilled or just baked.
    I prefer grilled.
    ENJOY:drinker:
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Baked, broiled, grilled, poached--any of those done without added fat. You can always ask the server/kitchen if they prepare the fish with or without added fat. Any marinade or sauce may have fat. You can ask about that, too. I love fish just with lemon and a little salt and pepper or fresh herbs. And you need some fat in your diet, so a little would be ok.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    steamed
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes baked, grilled,,,However you might want ask that they use Olive oil instead of a butter or high saturated fat based butter. Tell them you are allergic to butter if will certain they don't. :)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Even if it's baked or broiled it could be swimming in butter or oil. If you are counting the calories, ask them whether or not it's prepared with butter or oil.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Steamed or poached are the #1 methods.

Everything after that is questionable due to oil and butter use. You could ask them not to use it, but knowing kitchens, that doesn't work too often due to mass cooking and speed issues.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I like pan seared or grilled.