Has a running group helped you?

Options
I ran my 5th 5k this morning, and while I am proud of the fact that I have PR'd every time (usually by a few seconds) I am disappointed that I can't seem to really increase my speed. I have only been running for a year and have never trained with anyone. I currently run 3 miles 3-4 times a week. There are a couple of running groups in my area that go out and hit the road together. I am wondering if joining one of these groups might give me the additional push I need to increase my speed. Has anyone out there found this to be the case?

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I joined 2 running groups last August and feel like they've really helped me. I am more consistent with my running, knowing that people expect me to show up (or call me at ungodly hours asking me why I am not there lol). I also have learned more about form and have increased my overall confidence in running. At times my running buddies push me when I might not push myself as well if I were running alone. As for speed...according to my running buddies I have increased my speed, even though it doesn't always feel that way to me.

If you can find the right group, it's worth trying. I am fortunate enough to have found 2 groups, one for speedwork and one that is more of a Saturday morning social activity, both through my local running store. And they're free!
  • Annetinkerbell
    Annetinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do not belong to a running group but have started to do organised races. There is a timed 'park run' that is a free 5k event every week. The results are published online and it has been a real motivator to increase my speed. I have been doing it for 9weeks and have knocked 5 minutes off my time. I have found that seeing someone in front and trying to beat them helps, so running in a group may be beneficial. I personally am very competitive so entering races has helped me to remain focused and speed up plus increase my distance to 10k. I have also used the Nike + app on my phone that tells you what your average speed is and you can adjust your speed accordingly. It also has a function to link to Facebook so you can upload your stats and have people spur you on that way.
  • cwelch2677
    cwelch2677 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to a running group but I do have a friend nearby I run with sometimes. When we run together my times are way better than when I run solo.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do not belong to a running group but have started to do organised races. There is a timed 'park run' that is a free 5k event every week. The results are published online and it has been a real motivator to increase my speed. I have been doing it for 9weeks and have knocked 5 minutes off my time. I have found that seeing someone in front and trying to beat them helps, so running in a group may be beneficial. I personally am very competitive so entering races has helped me to remain focused and speed up plus increase my distance to 10k. I have also used the Nike + app on my phone that tells you what your average speed is and you can adjust your speed accordingly. It also has a function to link to Facebook so you can upload your stats and have people spur you on that way.

That is a great idea! I don't know of anything like that around here. Wish I did.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Options
    I joined 2 running groups last August and feel like they've really helped me. I am more consistent with my running, knowing that people expect me to show up (or call me at ungodly hours asking me why I am not there lol). I also have learned more about form and have increased my overall confidence in running. At times my running buddies push me when I might not push myself as well if I were running alone. As for speed...according to my running buddies I have increased my speed, even though it doesn't always feel that way to me.

If you can find the right group, it's worth trying. I am fortunate enough to have found 2 groups, one for speedwork and one that is more of a Saturday morning social activity, both through my local running store. And they're free!

I'm going to try it!! Thanks for your input.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I do not like to run with groups because they seem to be more social. I do not like to talk when I run, so it wasn't a good fit for me. I enjoy the solitude of a run and training. I run intervals to help with my endurance and time, in addition to a long run each week.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My good friends on here have helped me tremendously!! Also, I used to run alot with my younger brother. Any support you can get helps. But it all comes down to YOU! Pull it out of you!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I run with my husband during the week and then on Sat. mornings we drive 25 miles to run with a running group. They have been a great support for both of us and it is a great social outlet! So, I guess I have the best of both worlds!
  • brendddda
    brendddda Posts: 33
    Options
    Running with other people is beneficial if they are of a similar level to you. Try joining a group, but if they run slow- don't go back! You need to run with someone a little faster than you, someone who will push you. When you run with someone else, you are less likely to slow down or stop when you get tired.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Options
    Brenda, I think that is exactly what I am looking for! My daughter is a college cross country runner and she always tries to train with someone who is slightly faster than herself. I wish I was anywhere near as fast as her and maybe we could run together.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Options
    I do not like to run with groups because they seem to be more social. I do not like to talk when I run, so it wasn't a good fit for me. I enjoy the solitude of a run and training. I run intervals to help with my endurance and time, in addition to a long run each week.

I totally agree with you and that's why I haven't felt the need to run with anyone thus far. But, I'm just tired of not making any gains. Looking to change it up a little.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I participate in 2 running groups. I love them!! I always have someone to run with, when I want. I enjoy running by myself, but there are times when I like the comraderie of running with someone else. Plus, when I have to do speedwork or run hills it helps to have someone else to commiserate with and push me to do more than I would by myself. One way to get faster or run farther is to run with someone who is just a little faster than you are b/c it helps to challenge you.

As someone else stated, they can be very social but if you don't want to participate in that part them don't. One of my groups has coffee or eats after every run sometimes I go, sometimes I don't. Good luck to you!