An odd, reluctant sort of NSV...

Options
schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
I wasn't sure where to post this - it's a victory, to be sure, and not scale related, so equates to a success. It's a psychological challenge though.

With loss, comes the need to redo the wardrobe. and not just a little. a LOT. I'm approaching 40 lbs lost, and as reluctant as I am to get rid of some of my favorite clothes, it's really becoming a necessity. Even My UNDERWEAR needs a belt. LOL. Trust me - that is NOT a feeling I am used to, walking around and having your underwear fall underneath your pants, to hang at the top of your legs.

Purging my closet should be an uplifting and happy thing, no? getting rid of all the bigger sizes. I am sure I will have to do this at least 2-3 more times in my journey, but, why is it so HARD? I find it so hard to let go of some of these clothes. It's NOT because I am afraid I will gain the weight back - for the first time in my life I don't fear that - but there is some sentimental type attachment. Why?? many of the clothes are comfortable and loose, the newer ones I am buying 'fit' better, and don't hang on me, but aren't nearly as comfortable. Why is this hard to do? I see a lost comfort in those old comfy clothes - but have already gone through them 2 times, and know I have to purge more. Part of me just wants to chuck the whole closet and drawer fulls, and start fresh, rather than deal with having to decide what to keep as it's still a little ok, and what I just can't get by with anymore.

ugh.

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I just did this at the start of summer. I lost, so far, 50 pounds and about 5 dress sizes, but still had clothes that were extra large. I LIKED them, that's why.

But they didn't fit and my closet wasn't big enough, so they went to donation. I did the same with all my t-shirts that I LOVED, but hang on me now like nightshirts. I really LOVED the messages they had on them and replacing them will cost a fortune. Ah well.

I haven't lost a pound in the past year, pretty much, although I've toned up quite a bit, so according to my friends and colleagues, it LOOKS like I've lost weight.

But, with clothes as they are, it's an expensive loss! LOL!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh I discovered this issue just today, I've lost similar amount to you and none of my underwear fits!! I have one bra that kinda of fits and was only bought a month or two ago, and the pants I have one today I can pull right up to just below my boobs, thats not normal! I really grudge paying for clothes that I'll need to replace in another month or two, so I'm buying cheap basics and thats all, I have a limited range of clothes at the moment but thats ok!
  • binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV! I know I went through that, but before I got around to going through my drawers and closet and getting rid of things, my house burnt down, so I'm getting a new wardrobe compliments of our home owners insurance lol (This has been a laugh or cry situation.)
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    maybe because it's IS an emotional attachment..

you have learned to eat better, and of course love your new body, but the old "comfy' clothes represent a time in your life of pure comfort..eat what you want, when you want and lounge around comfortably??

or, maybe even though you say you're not worried about gaining the weight back, part of you is??

either way.. get rid of them. if they aren't there to grow back into, growing back into them isn't an option! and i can tell you, having to go shopping last month for new clothes, a size bigger than everything else i owned sucked.... 3 days later i started here.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    my favorite clothes dont fit me anymore, and it makes me a little sad =/
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I saved my favorite shirts/soft cloths. I am going to make a "tshirt quilt" out of this stuff when I hit my end goal. Search the internet for "tshirt quilt" and you will find tons of sites.
  • Shawneb66
    Shawneb66 Posts: 124
    Options
    I did the closet purge, but have been afraid to try on clothes at the department store for fear of disappointment. I had a major NSV this weekend when my daughter came home from college and brought me 2 pairs of her old American Eagle shorts...they fit! One is a 12 and one is a 14...the 14 is a little saggy, but the 12 fit! I was amazed and am now thinking about buying some new clothes. Bras first!! hahahaha!! Best of Luck!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I still have most of my clothes, though I know I need to donate them. It's hard to let nice clothes go because they cost so much darn money! And I totally sympathize with the underwear predicament. The new ones I bought a couple of months ago, yep those are falling below my booty now too :(
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    First off, great job! Second, I'm right where you are at. Last week, I HAD to buy some new clothes...not a lot, just enough to get me by for a little while. Three new shirts and a pair of lovely jeans. You will be surprised on how great you feel when you get a brand new fitting outfit on. I cleaned out my whole dresser (after I went shopping just incase I was discouraged and didn't buy anything). I threw away 3/4 of the clothing. It had to go. I did, however, save a few bigger (fav shirts) just to have to compare, sleep in, or work out. On the other hand, the smaller clothes just reminds me that I don't want to stay in that size forever. Gotta keep pushing
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I'm with you on this one... I have a handful of things that fit, and the rest... not so much... I'm overdue for a huge closet tear down and I will be left with a few outfits and a couple bit and pieces if I'm lucky. I'm trying to make the too big items look slightly better with a cardigan or a belt that cinches at the waist. It can help to tide things over a little longer.

It's a weird thing, the way we grow attached to our clothes... oh well... on to better fitting things!
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Same here! Isn't it great and frustrating at the same time! Some of the tops I can get away with a little longer but Pants and shorts are the (nice) problem. I bought couple of 'not so cheap' ones, wore these once and are now in the "give away" bag. But it's the favorite ones that give me a headache/heartache. Even thought of taking these for alterations but they are so loose all the way! So now when I go shopping (which is frequent - makes me mobile and feel good), I try the new pants and since I am in between sizes (one fits comfortably and other a little tight) I just leave it and say to myself, "come in couple of week's time". Same issue then, LOL! I an going on Vacation in 2 week's time so have to get couple of decent pair of trousers to take with me, so I'll buy whatever fits couple of days before I leave! Annoying but wonderful feeling! :ohwell:
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I went through a similar phase to this....ultimately it required giving all the clothes that didn't fit up to charity. The only things I've kept are clothes that are worthwhile altering, like business suits and expensive trousers - but there's limits to how well they will look / fit as the proportions of your body change as you lose as well.

I'm loathe to purchase anything new until I reach ultimate goal weight, although I have bought a couple of speculative items along the way.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Do you see your "fat clothes" as a shield? That tossing them and wearing more fitting clothes exposes more of you (I'm not talking skin), that people might notice you in ways you're not yet prepared for?

Edited for typo
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I have yet to do this, I've gone from a 20 to a 14 (US). I keep wearing my clothes but with a belt. I am swimming in almost everything I own. I keep saying, this weekend I'm going to but the weekend comes and goes and I never sort though them.
  • schustc
    Options
    maybe because it's IS an emotional attachment..

you have learned to eat better, and of course love your new body, but the old "comfy' clothes represent a time in your life of pure comfort..eat what you want, when you want and lounge around comfortably??

or, maybe even though you say you're not worried about gaining the weight back, part of you is??

either way.. get rid of them. if they aren't there to grow back into, growing back into them isn't an option! and i can tell you, having to go shopping last month for new clothes, a size bigger than everything else i owned sucked.... 3 days later i started here.

There's a lot of logic in what you mention - and in prior weight loss journeys, this would have TOTALLY fit. The truth is, now, though, that I - ok this is hard to say - but - I don't MISS any of the food. I was on vacation last week, and had the option to eat what I wanted, and was miserable. Well food wise anyhow - I had a good time, but meal times were misery. I don't like junk food anymore, rarely eat sweets, won't TOUCH fast food (except subway - if that counts) - and it's not because I am 'dieting'. the thought of eating that stuff makes me sick to my stomach. Matter of fact, I had to order food from a greasy truck stop on the way home from vacation, and the club sandwich had me gagging. the bacon, which I normally LOVE - turned my stomach. so did the mayo - which I usually used double portions of.

I couldn't wait to get home and have my normal foods. My dinner last night was a HUGE (9 cup) salad consisting of romaine lettuce, apples, strawberries, sliced almonds, carrots, and light dressing. I ate the whole blasted thing - it was delicious - i think i was feeling fruit/veggie deprived on vacation.

So I'm not worried about weight re-gain - as I have totally changed my lifestyle. I don't diet at all. I do watch my calories to keep them in a range to help lose (around 1700-1900 ish), but that's pretty easy to do when you are eating mostly fruit and veggies and lean meats. I do have some treats here and there, and 1-2 'maintenance' days per week (2500 ish calories).

The one thing you said that probably does fit, is the lounge around comfortably. Maybe I keep one size up of clothes - a couple of shorts, loose shirts, to lounge in. That might help?

and thank you!!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have an odd attachment to clothing as well. lol. I had a bunch of size 6 stuff that I finally got rid of a year or two ago since I didn't think i'd ever get back in them. I'm on the verge of a "fat" clothes closet purge too. I mostly hate getting rid of stuff because I love the style or whatnot, or its a unique piece I found. If I could buy all the clothes I still love in smaller sizes, I would.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    "many of the clothes are comfortable and loose, the newer ones I am buying 'fit' better, and don't hang on me, but aren't nearly as comfortable" <--this is what I felt too.

I had to purge many many times - having gone from a 4X to M (8/10). At the beginning, I was going out of my comfort zone and it really is an uncomfortable feeling. For example, I had to learn to like wearing pants with a waist band instead of elastic - took me a while. At size 4X there was not much selection for fashion and the smaller I got, the more choices I had - which was difficult at times because I had no idea what I was doing.

But just think out of the box, you'll find comfortable clothes again. And I'm not sure how much weight you want to lose but if you are anything like me, then your selection will be much much better too. Try to have fun with it - celebrate your new body.

Enjoy your success. And, if you are donating then, take comfort that someone else will enjoy them too.

btw - I kept a pair of my 'trophy' pants (size 4X) so I could remind myself exactly how far I'd come and that I never want to go back there...... there is a picture of them on my profile ;D
  • schustc
    Options
    Awesome NSV! I know I went through that, but before I got around to going through my drawers and closet and getting rid of things, my house burnt down, so I'm getting a new wardrobe compliments of our home owners insurance lol (This has been a laugh or cry situation.)

this makes me very sad - I am so sorry to hear this... i hope things are going ok for you now...:(
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I recently purged my closet and got rid of 3 trash bags' worth of stuff. We're both now navigating uncharted waters, as it were; I don't know your situation, but I'm 21 and I've been fat all my life so I don't have "skinny clothes" to fall back on. I have to go out into the wide world and be seen in public browsing for clothes in the normal-people section, something I haven't had to do before. It's tough. The part of my brain that thinks I'm still as fat as I was keeps telling me people are looking at me weird, that I don't belong in this part of the store, that people are judging me for thinking I'll find something to cover my fat *kitten* here. Losing the weight is the easy part, compared to the process of convincing your mind that you've done so. It's deeply psychological and I understand your reluctance to part with something familiar because it means you have to draw attention to yourself. Plus, you know, nobody looks forward to spending money. But hey! You should enjoy shopping more now, at least! :)
  • schustc
    Options
    I know what you mean. I recently purged my closet and got rid of 3 trash bags' worth of stuff. We're both now navigating uncharted waters, as it were; I don't know your situation, but I'm 21 and I've been fat all my life so I don't have "skinny clothes" to fall back on. I have to go out into the wide world and be seen in public browsing for clothes in the normal-people section, something I haven't had to do before. It's tough. The part of my brain that thinks I'm still as fat as I was keeps telling me people are looking at me weird, that I don't belong in this part of the store, that people are judging me for thinking I'll find something to cover my fat *kitten* here. Losing the weight is the easy part, compared to the process of convincing your mind that you've done so. It's deeply psychological and I understand your reluctance to part with something familiar because it means you have to draw attention to yourself. Plus, you know, nobody looks forward to spending money. But hey! You should enjoy shopping more now, at least! :)

wow - can I relate. I am just barely out of the 'plus' size section - i.e., I could find some clothes there still (well, i think so anyhow)... I'm a solid 18, and I can find 18's in the normal sections of the stores. I feel strange though. I was shopping in the plus size section a few weeks back and was very irritated because all the clothes I was looking at were not in my size (DUH).... they maybe had one or 2 pieces in my size in the plus section and not in the colors or style I wanted. Finally realized I had to go to the NORMAL section of the store, and voila! found what I needed. Quite a unique feeling I have another 80 or so pounds to lose - at least I think so. So this is just the beginning of many closet purges to come.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!