45 min commute to work - any in car exercises??

Options
Chryskk
Chryskk Posts: 22 Member
My commute to work is a minimum of 45 minutes one way. It gets boring and I tend to snack on the way home because it's dinner time and I'm hungry NOW...

Are there any exercises that you safely do while driving a car?

What do you do to distract yourself from wanting to snack on a long drive? (Other than not having food in a the car whenever possible)

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    blair the radio, sing along and dance a little in your seat.
  • corpro
    corpro Posts: 2
    Options
    i don't think snacking is a bad thing. Depends on what you're snacking on. For example i tend to eat grapes while driving it solves thurst and hunger.
  • Chryskk
    Options
    I crave and snack on white cheddar popcorn. It's all natural and not that bad, but the sodium content is ridiculous!
  • genuinely
    genuinely Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is kind of strange but while driving you can do reps of tightening your glutes and holding for about a minute or more. Also, deep breathing, like breathing in through your nose so your stomach fills up and then slowly releasing your breath pulling your stomach in is just good. For me, its best only drink coffee, tea or mostly water while driving. I do like the cheddar popcorn, too, so I wish I could eat. Maybe take a 10 minute break at work and have half a bag with some apple slices. That way youll satisfy that craving. I noticed a co-worker always takes a break to eat something about 3:30, and a couple of us have started doing that as well. Sounds like you may not have the free time to do that.
  • Chryskk
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!! I'll try those. :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    When you're driving, please focus on DRIVING.

Save the "in car exercise" for when you're in the passenger seat (or backseat!)

If you keep two hands on the wheel you won't be snacking anyways...
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    When you're driving, please focus on DRIVING.

Save the "in car exercise" for when you're in the passenger seat (or backseat!)

If you keep two hands on the wheel you won't be snacking anyways...

I have to agree.

Maybe drive to a local park on the way home and have a quick jog around there. Even 10 minutes should be a better burn than half an hour bopping about in your car to music - plus a ton safer!

Or drive to the gym, or drive home and do some workout dvds. I understand it gets boring in the car, but trying to focus your attention on other things will at some point, just lead to danger.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have a similar commute but I echo the comments that suggest focussing on the road rather than some other activity.

If snacking is an issue, then maybe try eating something healthy BEFORE you leave for your commute, that way you are less likely to snack on something unhealthy - which foods that you can easily eat whilst driving tend to be. Th mid-afternoon snack recommendation could be a good thing, although I tend not to get hungry enough until around 5-ish.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Focus on driving, please. Not exercise.

If you get bored you could maybe play some audiobooks on your radio and listen to that.

If snacking is a problem, you could just put some healthy snacks in your car, so you don't buy anything unhealthy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not really an exercise for the body, more like an exercise for the mind, focus on the road. In lieu of that please let the rest of us know where an when you'll be driving so we're no where near you and your 2,000 pound death trap.