Hi there! white wine is my downfall!

Options
Just started doing this seriously for the past week. You have to be kind of organized to do this well...especially if you are used to eating out a lot. White wine is my biggest downfall - oi! I know that it is all empty calories, I know that the health benefits are marginal, but I look forward to it every night after long days. Oi! Anyone else with a wine habit?

Replies

• crafty30
    crafty30 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Yep, white wine is my downfall too! I just cant seem to give it up but I reckon it might be slowing my weight loss down! My plan is to cut it out for a month but I don't know if this is going to happen or not!! Its just too nice :-)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Lol. Sangria for the win!!! :D
  • shannond1980
    shannond1980 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, but mostly red. And I try to stick to once every other week. I don't think you have to cut things out completely, but maybe just try to be more mindful of it. It's 100-130 calories approx for a glass, if you're doing that 7 days a week that's around 700 calories that you could cut right off the top without even getting into changing food habits.
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    Some things are worth a little slower weight loss! Try just reducing your consumption a little bit... if you have 2+ glasses a day, take it down to one. If you have one glass every day, try limiting yourself to 5 days per week.

It really is awful nice to come home to a glass of wine at the end of the day.
  • patazzirat
    Options
    yeah - wine definitely slows weight loss. I guess your liver processes alcohol before it processes fat, so the harder it has to work on alcohol, the less time it spends working on burning fat. Someone told me that once, and it makes sense...
  • Janeyg49
    Janeyg49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yup def my downfall to!! But I have managed to cut it back to once a week and then only a couple of glasses. I have the odd red wine now and again but this is fantastic progress from drinking it every night. I live in Spain and in the hot summers its hard to resist but I have started drinking fizzy water with a slice if lemon when we are out.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    yeah - wine definitely slows weight loss. I guess your liver processes alcohol before it processes fat, so the harder it has to work on alcohol, the less time it spends working on burning fat. Someone told me that once, and it makes sense...

Actually, that doesn't make any sense to me. I'd like to see the scientic support for this. I have a glass of wine on occasion if I have planned for the calories in my daily plan. An ounce of red wine is about 25 calories. If I know I'm meeting a friend after work, I save calories for one glass. There are a lot if slender French women who would agree.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Successful dieting doesn't mean you make yourself miserable. It means you moderate and adjust your caloric intake by eating reasonable portions of healthy food. Wine has both good and bad aspects (many "healthy foods" do to). If you can fit a glass of wine into an otherwise healthy diet and maintain your caloric intake where you want it, you can both enjoy your wine and embrace a healthy life style.
  • southernwildflower
    Options
    My downfall is beer. I'm not a drunk but I do enjoy a cold beer.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    There are a lot if slender French women who would agree.

:laugh:
  • Mrbadbern
    Mrbadbern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Some white wine options that would be lower in calories would be 10% or lower alcohol by volume (ABV) Dry German Rieslings, and Vino Verde from Portugal 7% -9% ABV range.

Check the labels for ABV, remember if the wines are not dry and there is residual sugar (unfermented sugars) there won't be any calorie reductions. These lower alcohol wines have been produced in their respective styles for centuries and are not part of any modern marketing response to lower calorie wines. That's a good thing!

If you are unsure about if residual sugar is present in the wine you can go to the producers website and look at tech sheets. Dry wines are typically .2% residual sugar or less. Your portion size is important too when calculating calories. A serving of wine can be 3-6 ounces depending on type and strength.

Please post any new wine discoveries you make
  • kccadmac
    kccadmac Posts: 13
    Options
    I find a cold beer difficult to say no to. I have switched to a low cal beer, Canadian 67 and I limit myself to two. So for two beer, it's only 134 cals and 4 grams of carbs.
  • jcnuebel
    jcnuebel Posts: 19
    Options
    I like the white wine too, actually I love all wine ;-) I think it's worth the 110 calories and I just adjust my day accordingly, knowing I will have a glass of wine. It has curbed my consumption. Instead of having two glasses, I only have one, so I can meet my daily caloric goal.
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    Love my sauvignon blanc...but am being careful about how much. Maybe not every day but a couple times a week as long s I plan for it....or walk after dinner :)
  • patazzirat
    Options
    I think it is a Dr. Oz thing in one of his diet books where he says this. The "You on a Diet" book. Besides, one glass doesn't make your organs work any harder to process alcohol...now, multiple glasses....ha ha ha~
  • patazzirat
    Options

Actually, that doesn't make any sense to me. I'd like to see the scientic support for this. I have a glass of wine on occasion if I have planned for the calories in my daily plan. An ounce of red wine is about 25 calories. If I know I'm meeting a friend after work, I save calories for one glass. There are a lot if slender French women who would agree.
    I think it is a Dr. Oz thing in one of his diet books where he says this. The "You on a Diet" book. Besides, one glass doesn't make your organs work any harder to process alcohol...now, multiple glasses....ha ha ha
  • Gr8fulAngigi
    Options
    Red wine is my downfall. I have just cut way back , it's a little treat I can look forward too esp. when I've worked hard for that one glass! lol A bottle of red wine last me a lot longer than it use too :0)
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love white wine!

...and red wine, and porter and beer, and whisky and rum, and gin.....:embarassed:

Its been a real eye opener logging calories, i was probably drinking thousands of calories in drinks alone each week before MFP
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Me too a bit of wine here and there. Moderation I guess. A little chuckle I read somewhere: Scientists have discovered a source of resveratrol; that is portable, readily available, fresh tasting, can be frozen, and comes in a single unit serving size. It is called a Grape. Made ME laugh!
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cold, crisp Moscato...perfect for sipping on a hot summer afternoon!