WHAT TO EAT AND WHAT TO DO

Options
I need to know what to eat. I need a BETTER meal plan. Can anybody help? My plan is the1200 calorie diet because i dont eat that much. Lately i have just been eating oatmeal for breakfast and fruit and drinking lots of water. I also picked up a chicken salad from 7-eleven today. But a friend of mines said that im not eating enough and fruits have to much sugar. so now im lost and confused..lol. So with that being said what should i eat. I started this weight loss program friday and they gave me appetite suppressors so i dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP..LOL:frown:

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you. Eat fruit. Just track your calories and eat normal healthy foods. Portion control is what makes it work, and learning to say no, not now. And appetite suppressants are really not good for you. Please don't do that to yourself.
  • MsLenaMarie
    MsLenaMarie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I personally would make sure you are tracking not just your calories, but the food on here in general as you will know how much protein, fat and carbs you are eating. Getting enough of all of these are very important as they properly fuel your body. If you do not eat enough your body will begin to conserve and not loose weight as it will be sending its self signals that you are starving and it will shut off and go into hiberation mode. I also think getting a juicer is so important to make sure you are actually consuming the amount of fruit and veggies you need, in a simple form. Hope that helps
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Being told exactly what to/not to eat isn't really going to help you in the long run. You need to figure out how to eat how you would for the rest of your life. Use foods that you would normally and adjust the amounts.

However if you are willing to change your diet permanently you can start with small changes. Cutting out sodas, cutting down on sweets and prepackaged foods which have a lot of sodium in them, and eating 3-5 servings of fruit and vegetables a day are great things. Yes fruits do have a lot of sugar in them, but they also have a lot of fiber as well as vital nutrients and vitamins so they are good to have in a balanced diet.

Since you are on an appetite suppressant it may be a good idea to plan your meals ahead of time for a certain time of day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks if you want them)and get your calories in through those instead of relying on your since of hunger to tell you when to eat.

Do lots of research and try to figure out what works for you personally- you can get a lot of opinions on here and several suggestions of what type of diet to follow but it really boils down to what you want to do and how you can handle different things. Good luck.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    Wait...the only things that you eat for the ENTIRE day is oatmeal and a piece of fruit?
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think eating wholesome foods is best. This is just my opinion, of course. By wholesome, I mean fresh veggies (I like cucumbers, spinach, carrots, etc.) and fruit. I tend to eat a lot of berries like raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. I eat whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat pastas, and whole wheat breads, but I limit my grains. Basically, when I have a dinner plate, I try to have half the plate filled with colorful vegetables, a quarter with whole grains, and a quarter with lean meats such as chicken, turkey, etc.

For snacks, I tend toward Greek yogurt, whole grain crackers and Laughing Cow cheese wedges, sugar free Popsicles, hot air popped popcorn, or portion controlled "sweets" (around a 100 calories).

I drink one coffee with cream and sugar per day (occasionally two per day), one to two iced teas (probably 25% sweet and 75% unsweetened) then the rest is water. I live in Texas so we LOVE OUR SWEET TEA! I used to put NINE sugars in one glass of tea, so I"m making big strides!

If I really want some chocolate (which I adore!) then I get some dark chocolate (60%+) and have a section of the bar.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Why would you be on appetite suppressants if you're not able to eat a 1200 calorie diet?

Log everything. And I mean absolutely everything. You'd be surprised what has calories in it!

Eat clean. Fresh raw produce that you prepare yourself, and lots of protein if you're working out. Go up to 100 protein. Protein fills you up for longer. Fruit is not the enemy, but you have to include it in your food log.

Stay away from oils and sugars, they have massive amounts of calories when you could instead be filling up on real, healthy food.

Drink your water. Water is essential for all sorts of reasons.

All you can do, is your best. When you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. So be honest with your food diary, you don't have to show the public, but be honest for your own benefit.

All the best :)
    I need to know what to eat. I need a BETTER meal plan. Can anybody help? My plan is the1200 calorie diet because i dont eat that much. Lately i have just been eating oatmeal for breakfast and fruit and drinking lots of water. I also picked up a chicken salad from 7-eleven today. But a friend of mines said that im not eating enough and fruits have to much sugar. so now im lost and confused..lol. So with that being said what should i eat. I started this weight loss program friday and they gave me appetite suppressors so i dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP..LOL:frown:
  • lasty51
    lasty51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?
  • nettamarie
    nettamarie Posts: 23
    Options
    Wait...the only things that you eat for the ENTIRE day is oatmeal and a piece of fruit?

WELL NOT EXACTLY THAT BEFORE I BEGAN THIS WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM I ATE REALLY BAD. NOTHING BUT MEXICAN FOOD (MY FAVORITE) I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH CHANGING MY DIET IN FACT THATS WHAT I WANT BUT I JUST DONT KNOW WHERE TO START. BUT I HEARD OAT MEAL IS GOOD AND FRUIT SO THATS WHERE I STARTED. TODAY IS ONLY MY 2ND DAY ON THE APPETITE SUPPRESSORS .AND I HAVE JUST BEEN EATING LIGHT BUZ I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EAT. I DID EAT A CHICKEN LINK LAST NIGHT. (LOL) AND I HAVENT HAD DINNER FOR TODAY YET. SO NOW IM STUCK. IM ALWAYS ON THE GO AND AT WORK NO TIME TO COOK. SO YEA. I GUESS I JUST HAVE TO GOOGLE DIET PLANS.
  • Gracy22
    Gracy22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too eat 1200 a day but I make sure I do this in 6 meals, protein to start my body burning, strawberries and maybe a cheese stick for snack, salad or turkey with special k chips, nuts at snack and dinner varies on how well I did. I love healthy choice meals they are well balanced and I always leave room for WW Ice cream bars. I also stick veggies in there and loads of water.
    I just want to make sure my body is fueled to lose it also helps me with energy. There are so many things you can buy at the market to use for those snacks to keep the metabolism burning. And I'm never hungry anymore.
    Just my method but as said above you have to find whats right for you. Just do it healthy.
  • nettamarie
    Options
    I too eat 1200 a day but I make sure I do this in 6 meals, protein to start my body burning, strawberries and maybe a cheese stick for snack, salad or turkey with special k chips, nuts at snack and dinner varies on how well I did. I love healthy choice meals they are well balanced and I always leave room for WW Ice cream bars. I also stick veggies in there and loads of water.
    I just want to make sure my body is fueled to lose it also helps me with energy. There are so many things you can buy at the market to use for those snacks to keep the metabolism burning. And I'm never hungry anymore.
    Just my method but as said above you have to find whats right for you. Just do it healthy.

YEA I HAVE ALSO TRIED THE HEALTHY CHOICE BUT I HEARD THAT PERSERVED FOOD ISNT GOOD FOR YOU. SO I JUST WANNA MAKE SURE THAT I AM ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
  • nettamarie
    Options
    What exercise are you doing?

I PLAN ON DOING STAIRS AND WALKING WHEN IM AT WORK I WALK NORMALLY ABOUT A MILE BECUZ MY JOB ISNT THAT BIG. BUT TOMORROW I WILL BE DOING STAIRS AND WALKING. IM ALSO LOOKING INTO A ZUMBA AND POLE AEROBICS CLASS FOR FUN
  • nettamarie
    Options
    Why would you be on appetite suppressants if you're not able to eat a 1200 calorie diet?

Log everything. And I mean absolutely everything. You'd be surprised what has calories in it!

Eat clean. Fresh raw produce that you prepare yourself, and lots of protein if you're working out. Go up to 100 protein. Protein fills you up for longer. Fruit is not the enemy, but you have to include it in your food log.

Stay away from oils and sugars, they have massive amounts of calories when you could instead be filling up on real, healthy food.

Drink your water. Water is essential for all sorts of reasons.

All you can do, is your best. When you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. So be honest with your food diary, you don't have to show the public, but be honest for your own benefit.

All the best :)

I GOT THE SUPPRESSORS WHEN I STARTED THE WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM. ITS APART OF IT. BEFORE THIS I USE TO EAT 1 BIG MEAL A DAY AND JUNK. IT REALITY IT WAS PROLLEY OVER 1200 CALORIES. MOST OF THE STUFF I WOULD EAT WOULD BE LIKE A BURRITO OR ANYTYPE OF MEXICAN FOOD FRIED CHICKEN. BUT I WOULD JUST EAT ONCE A DAY.
  • pmadigan
    pmadigan Posts: 5
    Options
    Google the "Mediterranean" diet. As good a place to start as any. Stay away from fast food, processed food. Shop on the outer edge of the store where most of the food is in it's natural state: veggies, fruits, fish. Plan your menus and stick to it. Log everything here on MFP - it'll help you figure out what and how much to eat. Drink lots of water. Walk 3 miles a day. Get off those appetite suppressants.....really REALLY bad for you and they don't work. Good luck honey :)
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    I am concerned about asking others "what to eat" as well as being on an appetite suppressant. Why would you want to take an appetite suppressant when you already don't think you can eat 1200 calories anyway? I am not trying to be mean or judgemental, but these are very alarming to me.

There is no magic food or pill that will lead you to your goals.

I would recoomend checking out allrecipes.com and the spark people recipe sister site. Look at the foods you really do eat and find alternatives to them. When I first started, I looked at foods with no more than 300- 400 calories per seriving and would meal plan around it.

MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN and actually EATING and as some exercise and you got this. Starvation is not the answer.
  • nettamarie
    Options
    I am concerned about asking others "what to eat" as well as being on an appetite suppressant. Why would you want to take an appetite suppressant when you already don't think you can eat 1200 calories anyway? I am not trying to be mean or judgemental, but these are very alarming to me.

There is no magic food or pill that will lead you to your goals.

I would recoomend checking out allrecipes.com and the spark people recipe sister site. Look at the foods you really do eat and find alternatives to them. When I first started, I looked at foods with no more than 300- 400 calories per seriving and would meal plan around it.

MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN MEAL PLAN and actually EATING and as some exercise and you got this. Starvation is not the answer.

CLEARLY...YOU MISSED THE ABOVE COMMENTS. but let me break it down AGAIN for you. IN REALITY BEFORE THIS I WAS EATING ONCE A DAY. BUT IT WAS A BIG MEAL. LIKE A BIG BURRITO, FAST FOOD SO IN REALITY I WAS EATING OVER 1200 CALORIES. BUT NOW THAT I HAVE TO PORTION AND EAT SO MANY TIMES A DAY IM RUNNING OUT OF STUFF TO EAT. DUE TO MY BUSY WORK SCHEUDLE....
  • forwesgar13
    forwesgar13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I will tell you what I've been doing , not sure if its right or wrong. I to am on 1200 cal a day tracking. I'm a meat girl and I'm trying to cut back on carbs. For breakfast I have sausage or eggs and coffee. For lunch I try and stay with something grilled not fried . Chicken , tuna, hamburger off the bun ect. No sweet tea I've switched to unsweet tea .For veggies I eat zucchini , side salads, beans. I find for me it's easiest to guzzle a large water bottle or fill up a 64 oz cup of water and knock it out. There are alot of foods that you can eat in moderation . Also when your at home make dinner with the small plate to help with portions. Throw the appetite suppressants out the window. This has to be a life style you chose and you cant stay on those for ever. One trick that I do is I plug in my food before I eat it . If its to much I eat something else. You don't have to give up Mexican just find something that is not that bad that you still enjoy. The biggest thing is you have to eat ! and start walking . You will feel better as you walk and it helps gobble up some of the things you ate that day. This is just a few things that have helped on my journey , hope it helps you
  • jules_lives_outloud
    Options
    Perhaps I missed something perhaps I didn't. Whatever, just remeber when you put yourself out there and ask for help, you will get honest answers. My goal is not to offend you. My goal is to say we have to be responsible for what we eat. We are all busy and have responsibilities that lead us from taking care of ourselves. If we didn't have barriers that keep us from optimal health, many of us wouldn't be here in the first place.

Best of luck to you, meal plan, take your own lunch from home, and recreate some of your favorite foods to meet your goals and you will be successful. Fresh foods are good, lean meats are good, and the occasional frozen meal isn't harmful. They are quite helpful. Portion control and allow yourself to make mistakes.

I will break down some MPF for ya. People here on myfitnesspal can be quite mean and condesending and love to tell you all you are doing wrong in the world. Be careful on how you post and ask for help because there are many trolls here who love to cut you down. My goal is not to cut you down, some of the things you stated were quite alarming. That is all.
  • nettamarie
    Options
    I'm no expert but I will tell you what I've been doing , not sure if its right or wrong. I to am on 1200 cal a day tracking. I'm a meat girl and I'm trying to cut back on carbs. For breakfast I have sausage or eggs and coffee. For lunch I try and stay with something grilled not fried . Chicken , tuna, hamburger off the bun ect. No sweet tea I've switched to unsweet tea .For veggies I eat zucchini , side salads, beans. I find for me it's easiest to guzzle a large water bottle or fill up a 64 oz cup of water and knock it out. There are alot of foods that you can eat in moderation . Also when your at home make dinner with the small plate to help with portions. Throw the appetite suppressants out the window. This has to be a life style you chose and you cant stay on those for ever. One trick that I do is I plug in my food before I eat it . If its to much I eat something else. You don't have to give up Mexican just find something that is not that bad that you still enjoy. The biggest thing is you have to eat ! and start walking . You will feel better as you walk and it helps gobble up some of the things you ate that day. This is just a few things that have helped on my journey , hope it helps you
    \
    THANKS I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT
  • colddayin
    colddayin Posts: 2
    Options
    I get what you're saying. I, too had this problem in the beginning. What I have found that is working for me is that when I grocery shop, I buy things that are 100 calories or less per serving. Like cottage cheese, yogurt, turkey slices, skinny cow ice creams, graham crackers, jello, pudding, etc. so that if I lack calories at the end of the day or throughout the day if I'm hungry, I snack on these. I also eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies and use them in recipes. Basically, when you are shopping, just look for the stuff you love and get the light, fat free, or low calorie version. Once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to find low calorie snacks and since you are on the go, you can make your own 100 calorie packs in ziploc baggies to take with you to work of grapes, crackers, etc. HTH and Good LUck!
  • nettamarie
    Options
    Perhaps I missed something perhaps I didn't. Whatever, just remeber when you put yourself out there and ask for help, you will get honest answers. My goal is not to offend you. My goal is to say we have to be responsible for what we eat. We are all busy and have responsibilities that lead us from taking care of ourselves. If we didn't have barriers that keep us from optimal health, many of us wouldn't be here in the first place.

Best of luck to you, meal plan, take your own lunch from home, and recreate some of your favorite foods to meet your goals and you will be successful. Fresh foods are good, lean meats are good, and the occasional frozen meal isn't harmful. They are quite helpful. Portion control and allow yourself to make mistakes.

I will break down some MPF for ya. People here on myfitnesspal can be quite mean and condesending and love to tell you all you are doing wrong in the world. Be careful on how you post and ask for help because there are many trolls here who love to cut you down. My goal is not to cut you down, some of the things you stated were quite alarming. That is all.

I HEAR YOU AND PERSONALLY IM NOT TO WORRIED ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY. I JUST LIKE TO HEAR OTHERS OPINIONS AND STORIES. AND PEOPLE CAN SAY "DO THIS AND DO THAT" BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS MY CHOICE ON WHAT I WANT TO DO. BUT THANKS FOR YOU IN PUT