gluten and dairy allergy

Options
Hi everyone

I found out a few weeks ago that I have a gluten and dairy allergy - I am struggling with diet as I have few choices of food to eat although i am starting to loose weight but it is a problem when eating out.

Does anyone one else have both these allergy's.:happy:

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic, but I am intolerant to both as well as soy, eggs, and other things, feel free to add me and peruse my diary if you like :)
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not allergic but I choose not to eat gluten and very rarely eat dairy. I've new to tracking my food but I've been off gluten for 2 years so I'm happy to help if you'd like
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have developoed the same thing. Check out Wheat Belly book. It has some really good tips and recipes. I just at the Applesauce Walnut "Bread" with a little smart balance butter on it and it was absolutely wonderful. He talks about getting rid of wheat, gluten and offers solutions for dairy sensitivities as well. Good luck. It can be very frustrating.
  • Runfaster14
    Options
    As for dairy I do like Soy milk but I think more research needs to be done on the sourcing of it. Multi-Vitamins are very important to make sure we are getting enough calcium and vitamin d.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am not myself, but my MIL is so I cook quite a lot with gluten free/dairy free items. Easiest thing for her is to keep it as clean as she can - grilled meats/fish (or sauteed in olive oil), vegetables and salads, fruits, rice, baked potatoes hold the butter. Definitely easier at home than eating out - she asks a lot of questions about how things are prepared before she orders. We got her a card she can give to wait staff that explains the gluten allergy (most people know dairy, but not gluten). If they are not sure, they will check with the kitchen on ingredients. She tends to avoid places with more complex dishes and gravitate toward more seafood/steakhouse/grill type places so she can get say grilled salmon (plain), salad with oil and vinegar (or you can bring your own dressing), and a plain side. Gluten and dairy are in SO many commercial foods it is really tough.
  • ella1rose
    ella1rose Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their advice,

i shall look out for the wheat belly book, the applesauce walnut bread sounds lovely.

I have started taking multi vitamins. I also have to avoid eggs and tomatoes and some fruit. I think the worst is eating out and yes it is very frustrating but I shall persevere - thanks again to everyone
  • Runfaster14
    Options
    eggs are going to be a problem. there are eggs in some of the recipes. I feel very bad for you! Wheat belly is a good book if you are looking for alternatives. That was my goal with picking this up. Not to follow some fad diet.
  • FANGS
    FANGS Posts: 4
    Options
    I also have allergies, including gluten and dairy. I feel your pain....literally and figuratively. It's "easy" to avoid one or the other but the combo does make things more complicated. However, it's certainly easy most days. Yes, eating out is difficult, but not impossible. I check out things online before I go. Most of my friends and certainly my family will select places that they know I can eat something at. I keep track of what I can eat at each place I go so I can remember for next time, but be sure to ask every time as they can change how they cook things.

I also am allergic to soy and egg yolks and some fruits and vegatables.

Make sure those multivitamins you are taking are gluten and dairy free. If you have some specific questions, I'd be happy to share what I've learned.
  • kathryn_m
    kathryn_m Posts: 31
    Options
    I am not allergic to gluten, however, I have recently gone gluten free. I'm finding some great recipes. Also, many places carry gluten free menus now...sometimes you just have to ask them. Feel free to add me!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I have serious reactions to gluten and cowmilk, and can only tolerate egg in small amounts like in baked goods. I've been experimenting with sheeps milk yogurt lately and that seems to be okay for me. There is plenty to eat without those things. My diary is open if you want to skim through for ideas.