How many inches to how many pounds

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
Hi, everybody,

I understand there is no way to answer this question scientifically or to provide one answer that fits everyone. I am just looking for people's experiences to have some idea of what to look for:

How many pounds does one need to loose in order to go down an inch in waist size?

Sam

Replies

• ColochaMocha
    ColochaMocha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    funny you ask that because I just weighed myself today and gained 1 lbs :mad: but lost 1/2 inch on my waist :happy:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can answer this question. You can gain weight and lose inches if you gain muscle and decrease fat. You can lose weight and gain inches if you convert muscle to fat...
  • meryloneil
    meryloneil Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat :)
  • cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat - it is simply more dense than fat. That's why a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, and someone can indeed be more compact and firm when they've added muscle and lost fat, but the scale weight might be the same. That's why one can't always go by the scale - it only tells one what one weighs at that moment and that can fluctuate daily etc. When one is recomposing one's body in favor of muscle(which takes quite awhile for women so don't expect a "quick fix - transform your body in only 6 weeks" kind of thing) it's indeed possible to appear to weigh the same on the scale, but one has lost a bit off the bust, waist or hips(wherever fat seems to want to come off first and that varies for people according to body structure and where they naturally store more fat). It also depends on how much one has to lose. Some people have to lose 20 pounds to get that first inch or so off the waist, while those at the really much lower end, it might only take losing the last 5-7 pounds. You won't know until you give it a solid go, on your body. Be honest with calories, keep your food clean, and do a solid workout program with emphasis on compound(use several large muscle groups all at once)exercises. There's lots of info about that and will give you the biggest bang for the buck with the workouts and adding muscle. What a lot of people also don't know that the very process of repair of tissue from hard workouts burns calories in itself and fat is gradually burned, especially aided by cardio, and of course that caloric deficit. Just get that deficit going on, and then do the rest. It will come!