Mixed feelings...

Options
Hello everyone. My name is Steve and I've wanted to be thinner for as long as I can remember. I'm really tired of it. I have lots of mixed feelings being here: shame, disgust, relief, anger, determination...I stopped drinking 24 years ago and THAT was still easier than this is...I'm tired of the yoyoing, the sneaking, the fake smiles...and if one more person calls me "BIG MAN" I swear I'll explode! Anyway...I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful destination. Thanks.

Replies

• Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Don't be ashamed for being here!!!!!! Be proud of yourself for taking the first step to a healthier you!
    Best of luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Don't have mixed feelings man,,, there's nothing to be ashamed of. This is just a tool. A great tool that you can use to take control of a certain part of your life that you've had a little trouble getting a handle on. That's all it is,,, you're still the man, still making the decisions and living with the consequences. This is just a super-duper smart notebook that makes it easy to keep track of your chow.

Welcome aboard, you've come to the right place. This is a great tool that will work wonders. Just take a look at the before and after thread - and remember that the folks with huge successes are just like you, they just started a little earlier. You can do it too, and you will.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about 10 months now and we've done well.

You can do it too.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Welcome!!!! You will love the support you get from the great members here!!!! This site has changed soooo many peoples lives, this place makes it easy, and you're not in it alone, there is always someone to offer encouragement!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Shame and disgust will get you nowhere - those feelings regard the PAST - but the anger and determination?....very powerful stuff indeed, and can be used to fuel your journey. You can change how things are going right now, this very minute, and you will NOT be disappointed if you use the tools here.....
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hey Steve
    Welcome to the site. This is a great place for info and support. You should be very proud of yourself because you have taken the first step to a healthy new you by coming here. You can do it :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Hey! Put the feelings of disgust behind you. We all have had to start somewhere. Focus on the determination and just think about how much better you will feel and proud of yourself you will be when you succeed. We are all here for you just work hard and you can do it just have faith. Good Luck. You already know its not going to be easy but it so worth it!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Steve,

I have battled my weight for most of my life. I came here last April, feeling many of the feelings you mentioned in your post and in your profile. I still have a ways to go, but if I can do it, YOU can do it. The best Christmas present you can give yourself this year and in years to come was the decision you made to start your journey.

There are other guys on this site. You have already met one of the great motivators, Caspar. If you haven't already found the posts directed at new members, you can find them by going to "home" from the page you are reading, then select the forum titled "General Diet and Weight Loss Help." You will see some posts at the top with a little red thumbtack. There is info there that will help you get more out of MFP and give you guidance on healthy ways to get fit.

Good luck!!!!

Barb
  • Roschelle
    Options
    I'm so glad to find I am not alone. I feel unworthy because i have gained weight. I am looking forward to losing weight and tracking it online so i can see my progress! You can do it! No more feeling ashamed!!