Jogging with a dog.

Options
Just curious on some of your must have for jogging with your dog?

Replies

• brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Poop bags and baby wipes.
  • Caroline3746
    Caroline3746 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

baby wipes?
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

baby wipes?

I was wondering the same thing lol

I used to run with my dog through back trails so I didn't carry anything.
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Dont bring him is all i can say. Maybe my dog is terrible. I have a husky and always want to lead. its bad
  • Caroline3746
    Options
    Also what leash do you use? Just a normal one or a retractable one?
  • Caroline3746
    Options
    Dont bring him is all i can say. Maybe my dog is terrible. I have a husky and always want to lead. its bad

lol. I jog with her already, She does good =]
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also what leash do you use? Just a normal one or a retractable one?
    Don't use retractable. they're no good for any situation. You should get a leash that fastens around your middle, or add a piece of hardwear to a longline to make one if thats more suitable for where you're jogging. If your dog is not great with leash manners you'll need to find a device that works well for him to stop the pullng. Gentle leaders, martngale collars, NO PULL harness(NOT a standard harness, it'll just make pulling worse) are things to look into for that purpose.

How big is your dog? you should be carrying water for both of you, as well as a collapsable dog bowl, poop bags, cellphone, toys and treats if you plan on doing some obedience or play while you're out. If your dog is on the bigger side, i would invest in a backpack and HE can carry the things you need. not only does it free your hands up to get your arms moving, or to correct any misbehavior on your dogs part, it will also give your dog much more excersize than running without the weight. it just needs to be balanced on both sides of the pack, and i believe they can carry about 20% of their bodyweight but I would google that to make sure of the percentage.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    a wonderful thing............except when squirrels are about
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    LOL! YES...Baby wipes! I can't stand dirty hands. After I haul a poop bag around for a mile or so until there is an available trash can, even though I never touched it, I feel gross. So that way, I can have a quick hand wash. Baby wipes are good to clean minor abrasions for you or your dog as well.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Poop bags and they wear normal leashes. I hate seeing dogs on retractable ones due to them either breaking, the owner not being able to pull their dogs back close to them (all it takes is the dog to veer onto the road to be hit by a car), and they can get wrapped around mailboxes easier.

When I hike or plan on a long run I carry a collapsible bowl along with my normal water bottle so I can give my girls something to drink.
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Someone else's dog. :laugh: Mine both like to play tug-of-war with the leash if I start running.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I take my dog in my neighborhood, so I don't carry extra water. I do always take my cell phone, a poop bag, and we use a standard leash.

I recently added a can of "Stop That!" which is a pheremone spray in case an unleashed dog approaches us. Usually I can get them to back off, but Memorial Day weekend my dog was attacked by a neighbor's dog while my husband was walking him. My dog is typically friendly, but you never know with dogs. After an emergency visit to the animal hospital and weeks of meds/healing, I no longer take chances! The spray doesn't hurt the dogs (it's not like pepper spray); it just makes a loud noise when you spray it and the dogs are repelled by the smell/taste of the spray. I actually just used it for the first time last week, and it worked like a charm without harming either dog.
  • Caroline3746
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the replies =]
    I wanted to make sure I have all the basics covered for her.
    I diffidently want to invest in a little bag for her to carry, Right now we don't jog to far but in the future it would be handy.
    Also the "stop that!" spray tonight we had a dog chase after us, Luckily the dog was friendly and ended up being more scared of my dog then mine was of it lol. But dont want to risk it.