Questionable Diet?

Options
Okay so i found this on the internet, and of course it makes big promises and what have you, but i'm wondering if this is even healthy. It says you follow this diet for 3 days, and then for back to a normal (but still like 1200-1700 calorie) diet for 4 days, and then back to this diet plan for 3 days. Back and forth until you hit your goal.

DAY 1:
BREAKFAST—
1/2 GRAPEFRUIT, 1 SLICE TOAST,
2 TBS. PEANUT BUTTER,
COFFEE OR TEA

LUNCH—
1/2 CUP TUNA,
1 SLICE TOAST,
COFFEE OR TEA

DINNER—
2 SLICES ANY TYPE OF MEAT (ABOUT 3 OZ),
1 CUP GREEN BEANS,
1/2 BANANA,
1 SMALL APPLE,
1 CUP VANILLA ICE CREAM

DAY 2:
BREAKFAST—
1 EGG,
1 SLICE TOAST,
1/2 BANANA

LUNCH—
1 SLICE CHEDDAR CHEESE,
1 HARD BOILED EGG,
5 SALTINE CRACKERS

DINNER-
-2 HOT DOGS, (no buns),
1 CUP BROCCOLI,
1/2 CUP CARROTS,
1/2 BANANA,
1/2 CUP VANILLA ICE CREAM

DAY 3:
BREAKFAST—
5 SALTINE CRACKERS,
1 SLICE CHEDDAR CHEESE,
1 SMALL APPLE

LUNCH—
1 HARD BOILED EGG,
1 SLICE TOAST

DINNER—
1 CUP TUNA,
1/2 BANANA,
1 CUP VANILLA ICE CREAM

Is it just me, or does this not even seem healthy>?

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm hungry just reading it, because it looks so low in calories and fat.

I also wouldn't follow any eating plan that recommends hot dogs and saltine crackers.
  • hannahchipmunk
    Options
    There are almost no vegetables :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have the recommended servings of vegetables and it seems odd to put ice cream in every day, but for 3 days I doubt it would harm your health.
  • cjcjcjcjcj
    cjcjcjcjcj Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm curious to know how this would help?
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think it's called "The Ice Cream Diet" because you eat ice cream every day. It's probably not healthy. One would lose weight on it, sure, but overall you're not getting the nutrients you need.
  • JamieMommy1985
    JamieMommy1985 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did this diet before just to drop some extra lbs before a trip. I did it twice so six days total and lost 11 lbs. I was happy with the results, it isnt the healthiest but I found it easy to follow.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I dont trust any diets that make me give 2 hot dogs to the diet gods for dinner on day 2.. Ya know what they say about saltine crackers... its like a gateway drug to ritz crackers.. (couldnt help it)
  • rbrashear68
    Options
    Diet comes down this this...plain and simple. We all have a maintenance level based on our age and lifestyle. If you aren't gaining or losing, whatever calories you are currently in is your "maintenance level". To lose weight, you need to be at least approx 200 calories below your maintenance level. Once weight loss stalls, you need to adjust. There are no magic foods...just simple calories in vs calories out. Period ;-)
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It would be an awful diet as a start, but with ALOT of tweeking:

Need to add more calories, I did a rough estimate, too low under 1200, even with the highest calorie versions of the items listed
    Ice Cream, Hot Dogs, and Saltines, other than the Ice Cream for cravings, I don't even like to eat the other two. The Ice Cream is just to make it 'catchy'. You could do the same thing with Chocolate, or Doritos, etc. just substitute your favorite junk
    Not enough fruits and veggies. If it put in a veggie/fruit for each meal, it might work better
    Add some snacks that are healthy, then you're good...

I think with all my tweeks, it just a regular eating healthy plan with some treats built in.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    see that was the red flags for me too, Hot dogs? really? i thought i was reading that wrong, those bad boys are almost ALL empty calories. And i love saltines, but i didnt see them as being 'better' for me than fruits and veggies. idk, i think this is more of a short term solution or something. like before your wedding or something.
  • rbrashear68
    Options
    You aren't calling the correct things "empty calories". Alcoholic beverages are empty calories. And yes you can lose weight on hot dogs too if you aren't over your maintenance calories. Simple as that. You can lose weight on a twinkie diet and it's been done and documented. Weight loss is that simple!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Looks like something a 5th grader would come up with.

I would call it the "I'm too stupid to make healthy choices diet"

You're smarter than that, that's why you questioned it, and rightly so.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just yuck. I like my diet way better.
  • michaelalalalala
    Options
    I did this once.. Had an event I needed to lose a couple of kgs for to fit into my dress for the weekend, and this seemed the most reasonable.. Didn't keep doing it until I got to my goal weight though, as I had only planned on doing it for those three days.. However I put all of those 3kgs back on within two weeks..

Quick fixes don't exactly work very often.. Just stick with fruit veg and protein, and exercise.. Much better for you!
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    look up zig-zag dieting....and fuel your workouts the good way :)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I tried that "diet" like 11 or 12 years ago. It sucked and I didn't really lose any weight. BUT on the plus side it was the first and last fad diet I tried. Eating sensibly has worked much better!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    cookie cutter diet plans made out to suit everyone are never a good idea.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I've seen worse - but I just don't see the point.

Why not use MFP to plan meals that YOU like, make sure you have a balance of different foods with lots of fruit and veg, a moderate amount of meat, fish or chicken, grainy carbs, some healthy fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts etc) fit in a few treats if you enjoy them (ice-cream, dark chocolate etc).
    Eat up to the amount of calories MFP recommends (plus the cals you burn exercising) - and I'd be surprised if you don't feel great and lose weight!
  • Heather060801
    Heather060801 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This diet came from a research diet center out in California. I know this because about 15 years ago mt dad lived out there and did it. It does cause weight loss but so hard to stay on and it is not healthy. I took it to my dr and she said absolutely not.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    nasty foods.