Meditation?

Options
olee67
olee67 Posts: 208 Member
Okay, from the advice of a friend, I recently started trying meditation as a stress reliever. So far, eventhough I was pretty skeptical at frist, I'm actually finding it benefical. I've always had a hard time falling asleep, but, it's really helped with that.

Anyone have any tips for deeper meditation?

I actually feel weird asking, but, what the hell.

Replies

• EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Whatever you're doing is probably fine. I sit and watch my breath and practice bringing my attention back to my breathing whenever it wanders. There's lots online about meditation; if you are really interested, find a meditation teacher; my first teacher was a Buddhist nun who taught me to watch my breath.

Good question, stress management is a necessary part of the lifestyle change weight loss usually demands.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm stressed I like to watch a candle's flame move. I have always found it to be a soothing way to clear my head but it was years before I found out that it's used as a form of meditation. I ended up facepalming, like "duh, that's what I was doing! Of course!"

Edit: you'd be surprised how effective it is in helping your mind 'check out' for a while. I completely zone out.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I’ve practiced medication for quite some time now. I really enjoy it. I started out similar to you by doing it primarily at night before bed…def helped with sleep especially when paired with a little yoga beforehand. I still have a bit of a hard time staying focused on ‘nothing’ though so I started delving into Mindfulness Meditation and Guided Meditation. I absolutely love it! Mindfulness can be done all through the day it’s just really being in tune with what you are doing. For example; when washing dishes by hand…I take my time, really notice how the bubbles feel on my hands, the warmth of the water the scratchy-ness of the scrub pad or when walking, noticing and focusing on the breeze blowing on my skin, the warmth of the sun…it’s really freakin stress relieving!! I love it! If your interested in either of them just google them and you’ll find more info than you can shake a stick at!! Good luck!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Funny story. I also started doing the same. There is actually an app on my phone that reminds me to take some time to do it. Even if you don't have a lot of time to go somewhere (which I highly recommend), even by yourself and in your car. Clear your mind.. and re-focus. It does reduce stress a LOT. And, after a while, you'll find you are able to detach from a lot of life situations that would otherwise stress you out, and you will be able to see more clearly..react more responsibly and not waste time or energy being upset about things. It really has done a lot for me. I have no problem admitting I had/sometimes have anxiety about a lot of things in life, but meditation.. really helps! :)
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was really glad to find this string/conversation. Starting today, I am aiming to meditate at least 5 minutes a day. It helps me feel a lot less anxious and just more aware of where I am both physically and mentally. I've meditated on and off for years, but never on a regular basis. Sometimes, I use a guided imagery. You can download a free 15 minute one at Health Journeys (http://www.healthjourneys.com/free_audio.asp). I also like to listen to the Buddha Machine. I downloaded some mp3s for free (which you can do here: http://www.fm3buddhamachine.com/site/?page_id=29). While I consider myself agnostic, I have found that reading Hanh's The Heart of the Buddha to be a very relaxing exercise (for my mind and spirit). Also, in a few yoga classes, the teacher reminded me to relax the muscles in my face and soften my tongue (i know, I know... sounds funny). I never realized how often I walked around with a tense face and how amazing it felt to let go of that tension.

Funny enough, in addition to actual meditation, reading about meditation and mindfulness relaxes me. If anyone has resources they would like to share, I welcome them.
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a 10 day bhuddist retreat and the teacher said when some students reach a point like seeing there light or being absorbed in it ( I think it was called the 1st Jhana) they asked what now or what comes next. His reply was now comes next, what next is now.So keep on focusing on your breath or whats happening to your body now

Cheers and all the best
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    cool reply
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump