HELP I got new running shoes...

Options
Hello,

I am pretty new to running. When I run my foot rolls to the outside. Went to 2 different running shoe stores and they both recommended the Brooks Pure Flow. So I got them, ran a mile and my feet hurt...on the outsides of my feet. Do running shoes need to be broke in, do I need a half size larger or should I go ahead and exchange them??

Replies

• moepod
    moepod Posts: 5
    Options
    When I got my first running shoes they were like heaven, my old shoes gave me the worst blisters ever, but I would think after a mile they should not hurt, how far do you normally go? Also you need need need moisture wicking socks if you don't have them, help with the blisters, and don't wash them with fabric softner. sorry if you already know all this, this is stuff that made a huge difference for me in the beginning.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes should feel good the first time you run in them. It's possible you need a larger size, or something in a wider width, or a different shoe altogether. Go back to the store and exchange them. Most good running stores will allow you to do so.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes should feel good the first time you run in them. It's possible you need a larger size, or something in a wider width, or a different shoe altogether. Go back to the store and exchange them. Most good running stores will allow you to do so.
    ^^ This. Properly fitting shoes do not need to be broken in. Take them back.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    They almost feel like my feet are crampy feeling...I may need them wider. Definately probaly need to do an exchange. Thanks!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Take them back. Most reputable running stores will allow you to wear and try them out for about 14 days. They shouldn't hurt at all, not the way you are describing. You may need orthotics for more support. Make sure you explain the problem when you take them back.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have only been running since Feb but I agree that they should feel good from day one. Take them back until you have a pair that feels good from the first mile.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    They almost feel like my feet are crampy feeling...I may need them wider. Definately probaly need to do an exchange. Thanks!

That is the reason I have to have new balance, I have wide feet and they make wonderfully wide running shoes!
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have a wide foot and use Asics 2160s and LOVE them. I also need arch support. I lace my shoes in a particular way (other than the standard way most shoes are laced) to alleviate feelings of tightness in the toe box. There are several lacing methods outside of the usual. That being stated, I also agree that new shoes should be a good fit from day one.
  • stephmo86
    stephmo86 Posts: 45
    Options
    Take them back. I use Brooks and I have no problems. Ask to be refitted.
  • Jezpakaas
    Jezpakaas Posts: 5
    Options
    Remember when you exercise, blood rushes to the particular body part making it slightly swollen. When you run, blood are going to your feet making them slightly bigger than when you try on the shoes at your leisure hour.

As a previous school runner, I recommend buying your running shoes slightly larger. This is to counter the above said issue. Hope you are able to exchange for a new pair =]
  • formbuddy
    formbuddy Posts: 6
    Options
    Have you considered minimalistic shoes / barefoot running? I started the C25K program with Vivo barefoot and am now in the sixth week. Injury free so far :)