I Have An Embarrassing Problem...

Options
...i am getting better at walking...i have a back problem which makes it difficult but i'm getting stronger and the exercise is helping...so that's cool but i have a really embarrassing problem. You ever heard of 'runner's trots'? Well, i don't run...i'm not at that level yet...but nevertheless i am suffering badly with this!
Twice now i went for a walk and it's resulted in a potentially excruciating experience. The first time i happened to be quite near a supermarket so i could go in and use their toilets but last night i was walking and doing okay and suddenly this hideous feeling came over me. Oh my gosh, i desperately needed to locate a bathroom and i was a good ten minutes away from my house but my body wasn't even playing, it was SERIOUSLY close to betraying me in the worst way, lol. I had to pause, hold it all in and focus and then when i did make it through the door...well, thank God i made it when i did is all i can say. It was not pretty. :huh:

SERIOUSLY? Seriously. I'm trying to work out more and be active and healthy and this is how my body rewards me? I've never had this before and i'm literally terrified of going again...i literally felt like i wasn't going to make it. :embarassed:

I work out on a stationary bike apart from this and i don't get this problem then...i walk moderately, occasionally vigorously...i don't eat before i go out and i avoid dairy too. I don't even know what else to do, it's a horrible out-of-control feeling and i'm scared to walk if this is going to happen! It sucks because i've just started being able to move without my back hurting too much and now this and i really, really just want to exercise to be honest! Can't do it this way! It's a hideous feeling. Anyone else suffer the same way? What causes it? How do i make it stop!? I walk in the woods near my house 'cause it's quiet and because i suffer with social anxiety, GAD and have been borderline agoraphobic before it's best for me to walk somewhere like that, somewhere quiet...though it isn't exactly full of 'facilities' if you get me. Ohhh, i really don't like this but at the same time i have found something i like doing and i don't have the money for the gym so i thought making the best of the great outdoors would be my best bet but i can't be carrying on like this, this is ridiculous, lol. :frown:

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Take some Imodium :) works wonders!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My husband had the same problem when he started walking after recovering from back surgery.

It lasted for a few weeks, then it went away completely.

Rather than give up, he just walked up and down our street multiple times, so that if "nature called", he would not be far away from home and could dash inside, then go right back out again.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like both ideas! Walk close to home or shops, and/or try some Immodium to control it,
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    Oh, do I ever know what you are talking about!
    I was diagnosed with IBS several years ago, and just the thought of taking a jog around the block makes me want to find a bathroom!
    I think it is the combination of heat and just the fear of not having a bathroom. Basically your nerves trigger your intestines to rapid fire, so your normal peristalsis speeds up.
    If I have a couple of days of this back to back I will take an immodium in the morning, and that normally helps for the whole day.

I will say that upping my fiber has helped tremendously!

Keep on jogging! I think the biggest hurdle is getting past the fear of it.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've had this happen to me. Walking and exercising can get things moving, and I've noticed it happened when I start exercising after a really long period of not. Its like everything in the body kicks in because it doesn't know what the heck is going on! It may not happen every time you walk, so don't give up! You also said you have some social anxiety issues, so it could be nerves too, with going a bit outside of your comfort zone. You can certainly have a physical reaction to a stressful situation. But still, you're talking literal and figurative steps, so don't give up!

If you walk near enough to your house, would you be able to walk some shorter laps, like out 10 yards and back until you have the need to take care of things? Then you're close to the house, and once its all taken care of go back out and walk your normal route. Then after a few times, keep walking longer laps until your body adjusts to the exercise?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest. I've pooped my pants running.

It's a learning experience. Try to wait until after a bowel movement to go for your walk... or learn when to eat fiber and when not to. When I race I avoid fiber like the plague for 2 days beforehand lol... but on a regular basis that isn't healthy. If you can, just work with your natural body rhythm and walk after you go.

... or yeah, take some immodium :laugh:
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue.
  • KayeeDaisyBee
    Options
    Ohhh GOD, i'm so glad i'm not alone, lol. What the HELL? :laugh:
    Seriously not cool.
    Immodium is my friend...try and go before i leave the house...keep an eye on fibre...stay close to house...i hope this isn't permanent. I have dreams of doing that couch to 5k thingy and this just isn't going to cut it, lol.
  • caswell806
    caswell806 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing for a long time. Whenever I went out, shopping or anywhere that walking was involved. I knew where every restroom was in southern Wisconsin just in case. I started taking immodium before going out and it did work but did make my stomach feel not quite right for a few days. And I started to change my diet and eat much more clean foods and it has gone away almost permanently. I at least now know when it doesn't feel right and I use the bathroom at home before I leave the house. I cut out a lot of the fatty foods. Hope this may help you because I know how uncomfortable of a feeling that it is. Feel free to add me if you'd like. Good luck
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You have a few good suggestions here - and I'd also add that it helps to pay attention to your body.

Does coffee or fruit (or anything else in particular) make you "want to go"? If so, avoid it in the hour or so before you go out.
    Maybe drink lots of water a few hours before you go out, and carry some with you to sip, then you don't have a full bladder/stomach/bowel before you start.
    Schedule your walk/run for after you've been to the bathroom - and plan your walks so you pass by public loos so you don't have to feel anxious that that you won't make it.

Use Immodium by all means, but you don't want to have to rely on this forever, so if you start looking for cues and how how your body works then you'll be in charge of it soon.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i used to have this really weird problem that i would need to poo whenever i went into a drugstore or a grocery store or any kind of store, really. i don't know what the deal was, but it was mortifying. i would walk through the doors and immediately need to poop.

it hasn't happened for some time now, maybe 10 years, but it was weird. the body is a strange place.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this happens to my kids, but usually when they go swimming.

i am glad for my low carb diet! i poop maybe once a week lol.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    ....so sorry to hear about your problem.....i have had the same issue in the past with IBS......road trips were a nightmare!!!!....stress, anxiety are really bad for it and so is caffeine for some people.....i have an issue with green, leafy vegetables so i practically gave up salads for a long time....also some people find spicy food or food with lots of sauces triggers a rapid dash to the bathroom....when i was home with my baby and it got so bad i had to race to the bathroom carrying her and lay her on the bathmat, i finally told the doctor enough is enough.....i am a teacher too so it just wasnt an option to be in front of a class and have to race out suddenly to go to the bathroom..:(......immodium wasnt doing a thing for me so the doctor gave me Lomotil......started out with two tablets per day and then eventually one and now......i don't take it anymore at all.....so there is light at the end of the tunnel.....since starting MFP and losing weight and eating better, i don't have nearly the problems i used to have.....no more worrisome road trips or scary walking sessions......don't give up.....it will get better......good luck!!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the more you get used to regularly living a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise then the more "regular" you'll become. Also you;ll be more in tune with your body's schedule so you'll know when the safe times to go walking are.

but keep up up the good work and stay close to a starbuck's :laugh:
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have three suggestions. I am no expert on this but your body is going through adjustments walking that you are not getting from the stationary bike. Proud of you for not letting this issue stop you from exercising. I think that you can work through it.

1. Keep well hydrated throughout the day, it is important when you are exercising, to lose weight and for elimination. If you have had diarrhea, you need extra fluids to replace the lost fluids. Water or tea and a little lemon or orange twist is best.

2. Consider a supplement to assist in elimination and/or a bowel detox program. I have personally used this one after taking medication to help flush out any residue. My body seems to empty pretty thoroughly every morning, so that is the best time for me to go on long walks/hikes. Consult a doctor first to rule out any medical issues.
    https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Store/Intestinal-Formula-1-250
    https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php/Store/5-Day-Bowel-Detox-Program-Capsules

3. Stick to doing a ten to twenty minute loop through your neighborhood for a little while, loop ten times if you want, you will be close to home. When a week has passed that you can walk continuously for a hour, create a new thirty minute loop and when you can walk consistently for two hours, you should be good to walk almost anywhere.

When there is a lot to jiggle, our bodies/organs get jostled more internally too. Working up to longer walks is O.K., just back up a little on distance then you should be able to more forward again on the long walks in the woods .

If you have any signs of blood in your stools which would be bright red fluid or blackened stools, see a doctor promptly. If you are concerned or do not see improvement in a week, also a good idea to check in with a doctor.

Looking forward to seeing you succeed!
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Other posters have great advice, I'm just offering hugs because it's happened to me before. After I had my second baby, and was walking the oldest to school, I full on pooped myself on the way back. It was mortifying!
  • mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh, btw, I start the day with 1-2 glasses of water, have water 1/2 hour before meals or 1 hour later. Not more than a few sips with a meal as it dilutes your digestive enzymes
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have crohn's disease and I can tell you what you described is a normal day for me most days. Imodium is a lifesaver. Also Metamucil, it takes a while to get used to the flavor, but really really helps with the cramps and other symptoms. I agree with others when they say stick close to home so that you are always near a bathroom, or you can buy a walking DVD and walk in your living room. Not as much fun but until your body adjust to your new lifestyle it will be a stress relief knowing you are near a toilet at all times. Good luck and way to go in your excersises and not giving up.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If I eat high fat carbs I get this problem...has stopped now that I'm not eating them.
  • tsegears
    tsegears Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm a runner, and I had a couple of near misses. Fortunately, the park that I run in has a public facility on the grounds. Ordinarily, I would not use a public outdoor facility to do number 2, but on one bad morning, all that running and jostling of internal organs caused me to change course on my run and make it to the public facility.

I'm glad you asked this question even though it's not one of the more pleasant topics that people are comfortable talking openly about, but I am really thankful for all the helpful advice that has been given here particulary the use of Immodium. I never thought about using it for my runs because I know it really can block up things. I have started to make adjustments in my diet recently especially before running and racing because I was becoming petrified of running any distance in unfamiliar areas. I also discovered when I cut out all the junk from my diet, I am pretty regular in the mornings, so I'm trying to eat better and make sure that that business is taken care of before I leave the house.

Good luck to you and as many of the posters have said here, please do not let this become a deterent to not exercise.