Bike Question....

Options
Out of Diamondback, Trek, or Cannondale, which brand has the best bike and why?

I'm hopefully getting a new bike this weekend and need some input :)

ETA: I guess I should mention that I want a Hybrid that I can bike on the road as well as on trails!

Replies

• AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Any bicycle people out there?
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm most familiar with Trek bikes (although I have a Kona myself) but have heard good things about Cannondale. I've never actually heard of Diamondback.
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ditto.

I love my Kona... however it is a full suspension downhill bike. =)
  • jallison12
    jallison12 Posts: 83
    Options
    I have a Specialized Allez road bike. Got from a local bike store, mid-price. Been happy with it for over 10 yrs.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have a Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid bike.....love it to death.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Giant

Seriously though, what are you looking for in the bike. I'm going to suggest that between the 3 brands you've mentioned you will find a great deal of similarities in terms of quality, features and pricing. You will probably find minor differences in frame geometry which would, for me anyway, probably be the deciding factor (it affects how you fit your bike).

The other thing that could influence my decision is the bike shop itself, some will offer better after sale service (the store I bought my road bike from included 2 years of tune ups after the purchase) and the attitude of the staff (I went into one bike shop a number of years ago looking for a modestly priced commuter bike and found they had a very elitist kind of attitude, if you weren't spending at least $1,000 you weren't worth talking to - they've since gone out of business)
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Don't do Diamondback .... if you ever see it at a Walmart or Target it's a NO GO

I also had the Trek and it was BAD *kitten*..... Cannondale are fccking sweet too
  • jallison12
    Options
    Actually, I check out this thread noting brands and what folk have to say about them. Great budget bikes:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/post-your-less-than-$400-mountain-bike-786777-5.html#post9515257

Most a second-hand from craigslist, ebay, garage sales. But an interesting peruse.
    < am jealous you are bike buying :o( Took my mountain bike to get regular pedals on to give the bike to my son, and covetted the carbon road bikes. If only I had $6k burning a hole in my pocket!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Giant

Seriously though, what are you looking for in the bike. I'm going to suggest that between the 3 brands you've mentioned you will find a great deal of similarities in terms of quality, features and pricing. You will probably find minor differences in frame geometry which would, for me anyway, probably be the deciding factor (it affects how you fit your bike).

The other thing that could influence my decision is the bike shop itself, some will offer better after sale service (the store I bought my road bike from included 2 years of tune ups after the purchase) and the attitude of the staff (I went into one bike shop a number of years ago looking for a modestly priced commuter bike and found they had a very elitist kind of attitude, if you weren't spending at least $1,000 you weren't worth talking to - they've since gone out of business)

I second this. Find a good, non franchised, family bike business and tell them what you want to use the bike for. They will be able to help you find a bike that fits your needs and your budget. I have one that I've now referred friends and family members to because they didn't upsell and were truly interested that my biking experience be a good one.

ETA: I don't have a hybrid, but I have a Trek. I've done the MS150 and all the training along with a couple summers of biking to work and it's held up great.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have an old hand-me-down Diamond Back mountain bike. It's fine. It's not a "Wal-Mart" bike.

I've heard Giant is the best for the money though, these days.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Trek Hybrid for me! Its done road and trails for countless trouble free(from the bike anyway) miles! Ditto whats been said about the shop. There are two in the town I shop in, I figured out pretty quickly that one was much more friendly, helpfull and knowledgeable(without talking down to you). Makes a big difference.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I second the local bike shop recommendation. I got my Kona, which I LOVE, for crazy cheap back in the spring at my local bike shop. They had some last year's models/weird sizes that weren't even out on the floor and when I asked about women's bikes (because they didn't have many), they got me to try a men's small frame instead and it was perfect. Finally, being short was to my advantage! I didn't give a crap that it was last year's model because it looks exactly the same.
  • jallison12
    Options
    So, did you get a bike?? Pics / price?
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    We've loved the Cannondales in our "stable." I currently have 2 and may be adding a 3rd, as my kid has taken over my mountain bike.

I would have recommended Trek a few years back (I grew up in WI--Trek-land), but they are the biggest dog out there and a bit big for their britches, from some recent reports. I know of several folks who have high end (I'm talking $3k+ Madones and the like) that have developed flaws (primarily in terms of cracked carbon frames, not from crash/impact) that Trek will absolutely not stand behind (even though their warranty would suggest that they do). Trek told one person that they would only honor the warranty if they first let her CUT through the frame to determine the cause of the crack. Then if they determined that it was not a defect she would have to pay for that repair. She opted to just send it to Calfee to repair the crack and paid out of pocket. She also had it repainted to remove ALL Trek logos.

DH has a Specialized that developed a crack after a few years. They replaced it no questions asked. Another friend of mine had a similar warranty replacement from Cannondale.
  • jeremycatrett
    jeremycatrett Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    of the 3 i would say trek and cannondale are better. though it seems like you will be buying a lower end bike so realistically i don't think theres a huge difference between the lower end bikes from any of these companies.

though of the 3 i think diamondback will have cheaper components which really effect the feel and enjoyment you get from a bike.
  • Stinkeymonkey
    Stinkeymonkey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I vote for the Trek FX series bike. Great bike for the money and will hold up for miles and miles.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a Specialized Allez road bike. Got from a local bike store, mid-price. Been happy with it for over 10 yrs.

I have this bike also. I also love mine
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    One mans hell is another mans heaven with bikes.

Go to your LBS and try a few, they will also reccomend a bike based on your shape etc. It depends also what you will be using it for.

My specialized Allez is aluminium frame but has a carbon fork to absorb some bumps.
  • krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have an old hand-me-down Diamond Back mountain bike. It's fine. It's not a "Wal-Mart" bike.

I've heard Giant is the best for the money though, these days.
    That bike was probably built before Dback became a Walmart bike. Basically same name, two totally different manufacturers.
  • KINGoftheBUFF
    KINGoftheBUFF Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My riding group all have Treks, and we are very happy with them....good price and we love them...we go several hours every weekend.