How much exercise is enough?

Options
mgobluetx12
mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
I haven't worked out regularly in probably 15 years and I have a bad back, so I'm wanting to work out and do enough to see results, but I don't want to kill myself. Last week I worked out 4 times for 30-45 mins each. I used weights 2 of those work outs.. I need to lose about 68 more lbs (17 lost without working out), and I'd like to lose about 2-3lbs a week. What would you recommend? Thank you in advance!

PS - I don't want to walk! I find walking very boring (plus it's too HOT outside here in TX). We have an elliptical machine here at the house, plus I've been doing 30 Day Shred and other workouts found on Netflix.

Replies

• santanagirl95
    Options
    Well, I go to Curves 5 days a week, and I golf two or three times a week... Its too hot here to walk as well right now, but when it wasn't so hot yet, I would walk 5 miles two to three times a week as well. I think if you can handle it, the more the better... I wouldn't do anything that's going to hurt your back... My back hurt EVERY day before I lost 46 pounds... Now, it doesn't hurt anymore... at all!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Santanagirl.
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I live in FL, and heat or not...I knew I had to get up and moving.
    I started out walking 1 mile a night...7 nights a week. Then I bumped up to 2 miles, and eventually 3 miles a night.
    Now I've just started C25K 3 nights a week, regardless of the heat (I know if I don't push through, I'll give it up). On the non-C25K nights, I'm doing Power 90 Sweat and Ab Ripper. On the same nights as C25K, I do the Power 90 Sculpt. I've dropped 52 lbs since September 2011, from 205 to 153...
    You have to do what's right for you...best wishes!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    45 minutes to an hour 3 to 4 times a week. Rest and recovery is part of the equations to get stronger and increasing intensity.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If you move 20 minutes more today than you've done in the past then it's all good. The key is to just move. Walk for 20 minutes or whatever you want just move. The severely obese, who can not walk at all are started out using a bike type thing just to move their legs and it works.