Healthy meals ideas?

Options
HI! I'm having a hard time coming up with a couple delicious, but healthy meal Ideas. Does anyone have any meal plans that you have tried and really like. Also, I'm 17 and broke so a couple non-expensive ideas would be muchly appreciated too :) Thanks!

Replies

• SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Salad, salad, and more salad for dinner. Put different things in it each day. One day use chicken, another day fish, etc. Make sure you drink your 8 cups of water each day and do your best to stay under your calorie goals. Cut back significantly on your bread intake. Lower carb and higher protein meals seem to work best. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimberlygrey94
    Options
    I work at a fast food restaurant so it's unbelievably hard to eat healthy. I have had a couple salads from there, but they are so bleh and honestly the deep fired stuff just tastes so much better... I want to learn how to make healthy meals or snacks that I can take with me to work so I can snack on them instead of the deep fried stuff or the ice cream.
  • kerryjudson
    kerryjudson Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    going to be easier said than done but try and change your job, having so much temptation facing you day in day out is going to be really hard.

easy recipes that can be warmed in a microwave are
    stew - chop up whatever veg are seasonal and cheap - try not to put too many potatos in - add some lean meat or quorn, a stock cube and simmer for 30 mins until tender. portion up into plastic sealable pots, it freezes well too
    pasta salad or pasta bake - loads of recipes about on web sites for variations
    also have a look on the slimming world website for lunchbox ideas, copy them and work out the calories

good luck x
  • GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are surrounded by temptation at work - be prepared. I work in an office and we are surrounded with amazing (and expensive) places to eat every day. I plan my food, mix it up a bit where I can and take things with me. Chopped veggies and a yoghurt dip works for me if I'm out and about. Today I have salad, brown rice (so filling) a boiled egg and a small portion of fish with some home made dressing. Get online and start looking things up. I love cooking! And I agree with the water, what a difference that makes. Also, I am a compulsive grazer - if you do that too you need to get out of the habit. Eat proper meals :) x
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A great place to find recipes is Pinterest. (: i have found alot of healthy recipes.
  • kirsty_mc
    kirsty_mc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    one of my favourties is butternut squash and red onion bake.

get some cubed butternut squash, 1 red onion (diced), spinach and some low fat greek salad cheese.

cook the butternut squash and the onion in an oven proof dish for around 20mins at 180 (fan assisted UK) until the squash is soft and onions are soft and slightly charred at the edges. Mix up and add some pepper.

Rinse the spinach (as much as you like) and add it to the squash mix with a small ammount of the cheese (totally optional).

Bake for a further 10 mins until the spinach has reduced in size.

Really yummy and fills me up.
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stews, stirfrys, curries and steaming!

If you're broke (believe me I understand) check out your local farmer's market for ridiculously cheap fruit and veg. Grab some brown rice, lean cuts of meat (if a meaty), quinoa, lentils, chickpeas and eggs. Try and get some balance in each meal as well between whole carbs, protein and micros.

I tend to google a lot of recipes and adapt them to be healthier. Even something as simple as stir fry veg with a little garlic and light soy sauce is a winner. You can create your recipes on here too so you can track exactly what your own recipe serves are :)
  • lissaann22479
    Options

get some cubed butternut squash, 1 red onion (diced), spinach and some low fat greek salad cheese.

cook the butternut squash and the onion in an oven proof dish for around 20mins at 180 (fan assisted UK) until the squash is soft and onions are soft and slightly charred at the edges. Mix up and add some pepper.

Rinse the spinach (as much as you like) and add it to the squash mix with a small ammount of the cheese (totally optional).

This sounds yummy :smile:
  • HowatAn
    HowatAn Posts: 1
    Options
    If like these foods: Buy tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers on sale. Wash and chop into bite size pieces. Top with win inch square crumbled to a table spoon Feta cheese lite an a sprinkle of balsamic or site wine vinegar (whatever is on sale and cheap). Make about two cups for a meal.
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Home made stews soups and casseroles, can be as healthy and veg filled as you like and all you need is a mircowave! Very filling for the cals too!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

"Sounds good and filling :)
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Look for a farmer's market in your area - it's generally the bast place to get low cost, fresh veggies and fruit. Otherwise stick to what is in season and on sale at your local grocery store. Eggs, oatmeal, peanut butter, and cottage cheese are all healthy and not costly.
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If your an ice cream junkie try this:

Freeze sliced up banana's (i use 100 grams)
    add the frozen bananas to a food processor blend until creamy
    takes a few minutes. after creamy add 2 teaspoons chunky peanut butter.
    and then some cocoa powder about 1/4 teaspoon blend together. It
    taste's and feels like real ice cream all for about 155 calories. I make it almost every night.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Raw vegetables with hummus or light ranch, a cut up apple with peanut butter, protein bars, grilled chicken in pita or tortilla with hummus and veggies, banana and peanut butter sandwich on whole-grain bread, homemade soup, etc.
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Get 100g of tofu or 80g I can't remember how much I used this morning but put in on the hob and let it heat up and stir it, i =t will start to look like scrambled eggs! Add a small pinch of basil and black pepper! Get two slices of nimble bread and toast it's little bready life out, you may want to add butter, if so try adding cashew butter to it :) Tastes just like scrambled eggies and I love it :D the tofu I get is the silken tofu, cost me £1.85 and the nimble bread was about £1 or so, can't really remember and the butter around £2 or a little less. All these can last well into the week making it nice and cheap for you too :) Good luck and I hope this little recipe helps...it's about the height of my cooking :p