I thought I was fit... until I climbed a hill.

Options
You know what, I thought that I was pushing myself, that I was fitter than I was, that I could do this humassive hike up various hills on sore feet for five hours. Damn. I was wrong. It has shed a new perspective on my level of fitness and how much I push myself during my home exercises. I CLIMBED THAT DAMNED HILL!!! I have NEVER put that much effort in my exercises but it's PROOF that my body can go further if I will it to, even though at certain points I wished I'd never gone, it was too much hard work. It's embarrassing when the other 26 of your group sail past while I'm huffing and puffing but they were so kind and understanding. My feet hurt, I have blisters and I move like my nan at the moment, but I'm inspired to do better, go back and sail up it just like them!!

Lesson learned: I can't measure my fitness unless I give myself a REAL challenge.

Good luck everyone!! :)

Replies

• mishimouse101
    mishimouse101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I asked a trainer once how to prepare for a big hike-he said the best thing was to do shorter hikes to work up to it & when I could not, to do the treadmill on an incline. Walking on flat surfaces and treadmills does not prepare you for walking on rock or gravel so outdoor walking is important for training or else you could be your goal weigh and still one of the slowest. Experience makes the difference in endurance and speed. Oh and leg length makes a difference, The three women on my big hiking trip were noticeably shorter in our legs than the guys so we were the slowest of our group. Glad that you are determined to better your time!
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    THANK YOU!! My gosh my friend on the hike kept saying I should have run on the treadmill for practice (I live in london and little time to drive out to rural places hence the planned hike) even as we made our way up this rocky, slippery chalk path that was killing my legs from the incline and the control it took not to fall flat on my face! The mud, the bushes the whole experience is totally more demanding. And at 5'6 I had to work a lot harder to keep the pace even on flat ground :O xD
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    What exactly was the issue? It sounds like it was your air/cardio as opposed to muscle strength. Any type of aerobic exercise will improve that, it doesn't have to be identical or even very similar to hiking.

In terms of muscle building, yes actually hiking uphill or running/walking on the treadmill at an incline will build up the same muscles that will be used during hiking.

It's always important to determine exactly what the rate limiting factor is.
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    Options
    My breathing mainly. I was struggling to breath but my legs weren't complaining really :(
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I live near london, Im interested what Hill you conquered :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Oh... boy can I relate to this in some ways. I don't consider myself particularly fit, mind you. But I have a hill that is a goal of mine for next summer when we go to the UK. The last time I walked it I about died. I literally would take three steps and had to stop and catch myself before I took the next three, given the amount of other people walking up that hill, it was an exercise in pure humiliation and will power. In all the people who climbed past me, though, there was only one that sort of made me feel bad. The rest either ignored me, offered a smile, offered encouragement.