Pelvic cramps (ladies only)

Options
Hey ladies I know we all experience that wonderful time of the month (not)! Well I get cramps so badly that today I was curled up on the floor after my workout for about 10 mins in excruciating pain. I was able to relieve this with a hot bath and muscle relaxers/pain pills. One of my friends suggested calcium and magnesium. I'm wondering if anyone else knows of any other natural cures? I HATE taking meds! Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• dzvinka82
    dzvinka82 Posts: 33
    Options
    I find drinking more water during that time helps
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Since switching to the Diva cup, I no longer have cramps. I used to get horrible ones in which I couldn't function for several days.

I've heard rumors that disposable feminine product companies put chemicals in their products that causes your TOM to last longer -- and thus use more of their products. This also causes more cramping.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I do know once I switched I feel 100% better. I actually forget it's my TOM -- save for the darn bloating which won't go away. I also know there's a lot of other women who experience much less cramping and a shorter TOM by using natural products, such as cups or cloth pads.

I probably wouldn't have believed it if I didn't experience it myself.
  • HealthyPractitioner
    HealthyPractitioner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tips to help relieve PMS symptoms:

1. Drink lots of water
    2. Cut back on coffee and salt
    3. Magnesium is fantastic as it relaxes the muscles - I take 1 daily as it's good if you work out which you do. Should be taken just before bed.
    4. Epsom Salt baths are brilliant too - as it's magnesium sulphate.
    5. If you suffer from abdominal cramping - peppermint tea is fantastic.
    6. Exercise - light exercise helps - very heavy work will only aggravate the pain
    7. ACUPUNCTURE IS BRILLIANT - If you never tried it give it a go. It's great for balancing out the hormones and overall health. Moxibustion burned on the tummy with acupuncture is just brill at reducing bloating and cramping. If you want to read up more about how this can help - like my facebook page called 'aculiving' Yes I am a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner :)

Please feel free to drop me an email if you want any further info! Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Mine really arent too bad - ive been hvaing mine for 11 years now, and i guess my body is used to it, and my pain threshhold isnt too bad - there are times i dont want to move, or am sore, but i know its natural, and i also know that putting meds down my neck only makes me body expect them next time - i get very dependant on painkillers very quickly, and so wont take them unless im crying with pain, and even then i give myself half an hour before taking them
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Since switching to the Diva cup, I no longer have cramps. I used to get horrible ones in which I couldn't function for several days.

I've heard rumors that disposable feminine product companies put chemicals in their products that causes your TOM to last longer -- and thus use more of their products. This also causes more cramping.

Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I do know once I switched I feel 100% better. I actually forget it's my TOM -- save for the darn bloating which won't go away. I also know there's a lot of other women who experience much less cramping and a shorter TOM by using natural products, such as cups or cloth pads.

:-/ I have a diva cup, not only does it just not work right for me, but hurts me. It also made my TOM last longer than pads. I'm a 3 day girl... Diva cup made sure I went 6. I was in pain the whole time & this was with the smaller cup. I was also cramping up way way more.

Diva cup(or its equiv.) are not for everyone. In fact I'd be willing to bet people should look into NOT using them till a little more testing is done.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    im a 2 week on, few days off, then 1-2 weeks on again, then spotting, then off for 6-7 weeks, then back on heavy for a few days, then off for a week, then back on

you get the drift?

But hey, I'm used to it after 11 years, and i've learned not to wear light colours
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my 'periods' - once a month I'd get insane cramping but no actual bleeding. Good times. Losing weight by eating a balanced diet and dealing with my iron issues by, you know, taking the damn supplements and committing to having my numbers monitored, might also have played a part.

What did work, when I could take hormonal birth control, was Yasmine. Brought the periods back every now and then and got rid of a lot of the cramping. Was brilliant. Have you been tested for pcos? Your cramps could just be a symptom of a bigger issue.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I used to have TERRIBLE cramping! It was so bad I couldn't move or function for a few days each month. I tried every pain pill on the market without success and even tried a prescription one. The only time it remotely helped was when I took something at the first tiny tiny bit of pain a week before.

Unfortunately for me heat didn't do much and I had to go on the pill. I haven't experienced those cramps in well over a year now which is great! I barely get cramping anymore.

Have you tried heat? You can buy the little heating pads that are air activated and you just put them on your panties and it lasts for 8 hours.
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

:-/ I have a diva cup, not only does it just not work right for me, but hurts me. It also made my TOM last longer than pads. I'm a 3 day girl... Diva cup made sure I went 6. I was in pain the whole time & this was with the smaller cup. I was also cramping up way way more.

Diva cup(or its equiv.) are not for everyone. In fact I'd be willing to bet people should look into NOT using them till a little more testing is done.

I'm sorry it wasn't a good fit for you. Some people do better with another brand of cup. There is a survey somewhere that helps you chose the one that would work best for you and your body, I'll have to see if I can find it.

The cups have been extensively tested, and there is no risk of TSS like there is with other products.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Much like the hot bath, try using a heating pad or one of those hot patches. When I was in high school, I'd get the kind that stick to the inside of my undies...I'm one of those "lucky" ladies that has cramps in front AND back...it helps a lot with easing the pain but most days I end up taking medication.

A glass of wine and a little dark chocolate never hurts ;)