reducing sugar?

Options
Anyone have any good tips on reducing the amount of sugar you ingest? It seems my biggest problem is that I always go wayyy over my sugar limit for the day, making it a high sugar week as well.

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good tips on reducing the amount of sugar you ingest? It seems my biggest problem is that I always go wayyy over my sugar limit for the day, making it a high sugar week as well.

Cutting the processed foods out helps. Anything labelled 'low fat' or 'diet' will likely be packed with the stuff, the taste has to come from somewhere ;)

If you bear in mind that all carbohydrate metabolises down to glucose anyway then I'd focus on the carbs as a whole and let the sugar sort itself out. Unless you are adding it to drinks or chugging soda, obviously.
  • zoe871
    zoe871 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! I eat a lot of fruit, so today I've had some OJ (not from concentrate) and a banana and I'm already over my daily sugar intake!
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    That was going to be my question, too! I find myself avoiding fruit because the old student in me doesn't like seeing the red numbers at the end of my food log at the end of the day. Any suggestions would be welcomed!
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    That was going to be my question, too! I find myself avoiding fruit because the old student in me doesn't like seeing the red numbers at the end of my food log at the end of the day. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Very true. I'm not sure iof I should stop counting sugar or avoid fruit all together!
  • AmandaJade9
    AmandaJade9 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was told not to include the sugar from fruits in your daily sugar allowance cause MFP only is counting the added sugar thats in processed food and stuff.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    i've been on a wretched high protein/ mod fat/ no sweeties diet since May. I have become a diligent label reader, and you're right- 'they' add sugar to everything! So- stay away from all processed foods as much as you have will power to (It's stinkin' hard!!). I find that the sugars from fruits- which have been allowed in my diet- since our bodies manage, process, use and store the naturally occurring sugars better than that fake-O stuff, so try to get your sweety-fix there. And if you must get/add sweet, stay far far away from the fake ones (aspertame, sweet&low, equal...)- they are not only deadly & toxic, but they trick your body into a horrible sugar response! Try instead some of the natural no or lower cal sweeteners like stevia (0 cal, but takes some 'getting used to'), xylitol, agave, honey,...
    And by all means, if someone here know a better way to get a sweety fix, please let me know, cause I MISS my sweeties!!!!!