This one's for the ladies

Options
Okay so. This is the first time I've properly put myself on a calorie restricted diet, and to put it bluntly, my TOM is nearly two weeks late. I took a pregnancy test that came back negative (nearly had a heart attack while I waited for those results, haha) so I'm guessing the delay is probably something to do with my change in diet.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or should I go to the doctors and find out what's wrong with me?

Thanks!

Replies

• scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Same experience (I started a month and one day late lol); however, I was under a lot of stress...it's been lighter since I've been making better choices and haven't had that much pop.

But, if you've been under a lot of stress that usually does it, changes in birth control (if you take any), etc. Just count it as a lucky month with no TOM...for now lol ;)
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    ha yeah that makes sense. I'm gonna take another test in a few days just in case but hopefully I'll be able to count it as a lucky month :) It just freaks me out a bit cos I'm usually pretty regular
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming enough healthy calories? Change of lifestyle (stress, eating or exercise habit with extreme change) can affect your TOM. Sometimes you just need to relax and it will come.

However, if you haven't had your period within the week, I'd consider going in and visiting your Dr, get a check up and if need be, take another test.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    @Purrfumegirl: I think I am - I have my calories set to 1500 a day and usually go a bit over that. I'm 5'5" so it should be okay. And the food I do eat is usually pretty good. I guess I have had a few changes going on recently, I'm hoping it'll arrive soon though!

I think if it hasn't arrived in a week, like you say, I'll book a doctor's appt and see what's going on.

Thank you for the advice!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    yes. when i changed my activity levels starting p90x, i had a period for a month. no lie... a very light period for an entire month... i went to the doctor and she thought i was pregnant. LOL did some blood work and no i'm not pregnant. just had a crazy month. it's starting to fix itself though this month i think. :)
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    yes. when i changed my activity levels starting p90x, i had a period for a month. no lie... a very light period for an entire month... i went to the doctor and she thought i was pregnant. LOL did some blood work and no i'm not pregnant. just had a crazy month. it's starting to fix itself though this month i think. :)

oh no way! That must've been horrible. Poor you!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor just to be sure. Pregnancy tests can be wrong.
  • yourgirlbribri
    yourgirlbribri Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good because my TOM came two weeks early. I bet it has to do with my changed eating habits and exercise routine.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I take birth control and mine used to come like clockwork on that thing.. now it's out of wack and the only things that have changed are I exercise more, I eat less and I've lost 30 pounds.

Not that I'm complaining or anything.. a lack of a period is very good thing as far as I'm concerned!
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I've been working out and eating differently for a little over two months now and as of today my period is 15 days late. No chance of pregnancy I am pretty sure this happens whenever I start really exercising. Super annoying though because I'm pretty sure it is just waiting for my Hawaiian vacation at the end of the month. :grumble:
  • jasmine12122003
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly what you are going through! It is a serious pain in the butt! The good news is, it will eventually work out and return to "normal".
    Kudos to you all! Kick *kitten* ladies! :happy: :heart:
  • SlidingDown
    SlidingDown Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Funny that you say that... I haven't had mine disappear (unfortunately) but I have noticed weirdnesses in the past 4 or 5 months. I get a light but constant spotting in the week leading up to TOM which I never had before, and also instead of being 28 days on the dot (as it has for years and years), it could be anywhere from 25 days apart to 32 days apart. It's really annoying when I'm trying to plan around it, because I can't be sure that it won't come early at an inconvenient time, or if it arrives late, still be carrying on by an inconvenient day lol.
    I'm thinking my hormone levels have changed somehow. I went off the pill about 1.5 years ago, so that's not a recent change. I too wondered if it's to do with diet and exercise changes making a difference in hormones, but if so, I'm not thrilled with this particular change!
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    so glad that I'm not the only one!! It's been really worrying me over the past few days. I'll still go to the doctor if it hasn't appeared by the end of next week though, just to double check - would be just my luck that two pregnancy tests showed the wrong results.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Adipose tissue (fat) holds on to hormones (estrogen!). When you start fluctuating the fat in your body, you fluctuate your hormone levels. It should even out over time, but you might experience some weirdness here and there the whole time you're losing weight.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Adipose tissue (fat) holds on to hormones (estrogen!). When you start fluctuating the fat in your body, you fluctuate your hormone levels. It should even out over time, but you might experience some weirdness here and there the whole time you're losing weight.

Oooh so hopefully that means I'm doing something right and getting rid of the fat :D yay!
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Diets can stress you out and mess with your hormones. And stress and hormones can make your TOM do weird things. So try no stress about your diet or TOM too much. I know, easier said than done. :-) You can also try to work in some stress-relieving techniques into your day. E.g., add 15 mins of yoga-type breathing + stretching after your work out or before bed. Some people find that having a diet break (where you eat at maintenance for a week or so) occasionally helps. But I would not suggest that you do that yet since you have just started dieting.

Now, if you get to very low levels of body fat, you can lose your period. And this would be something to be worried about.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Diets can stress you out and mess with your hormones. And stress and hormones can make your TOM do weird things. So try no stress about your diet or TOM too much. I know, easier said than done. :-) You can also try to work in some stress-relieving techniques into your day. E.g., add 15 mins of yoga-type breathing + stretching after your work out or before bed. Some people find that having a diet break (where you eat at maintenance for a week or so) occasionally helps. But I would not suggest that you do that yet since you have just started dieting.

Now, if you get to very low levels of body fat, you can lose your period. And this would be something to be worried about.

Stress relief is a good idea actually. I'll try that :)

And yeah I'm at no risk of low body fat haha.
  • LadyAmy20
    Options
    Such a relief!! It's back, about a month late.

PHEW