I need a good ab workout video. Any ideas?

Options
I am currently alternating every other day between Jillian Michael's "Trouble Zones" and "TurboFire Greatest HIITS". However-- I want a video that is all abs. I am getting small everywhere else and toning everywhere else, but I need my abs to be tighter.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    To tighten your abs up, lose more fat. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Interesting. See-- I used to do abs every day for about 30 minutes a day, and it made them appear much more tone. This was years ago. So...I am a bit rusty. If you look at my before/after profile photos, you will see my stomach has gotten smaller from diet/cardio exercise, but I just want a more defined set of abs.

So you are saying if I lose my last 2lbs, I should see them?
  • cutetffy
    cutetffy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Eat clean and you'll get them. If you would like them to pop more you can add weight, but first you need to see what kind of abs you have, so you will know how to train them.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Tony Horton's Ab Ripper
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'd like a good core toning video, too. I have very little fat on my stomach, but I can't see the definition like I have been able to in the past. I hope someone has a good recommendation.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Eat clean and you'll get them. If you would like them to pop more you can add weight, but first you need to see what kind of abs you have, so you will know how to train them.

What kind of abs I have? I'm unsure. I do know my upper abs are pretty nice. I can see the muscle tone there, but my lower abs are still poofy. Now, this could be due to the fact I had two major abdominal surgeries within a 4 year period.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Tony Horton's Ab Ripper

Thanks!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I just did Turbo Fire's Core 20 today and it was amazing. Also, despite the cheesy name, Kathy Smith's Tummy Trimmers has five great ~10 minute workouts. I love ab/core workouts and have a huge DVD library, let me know what length you are looking for and I can give you some more recommendations.

FTR, washboard abs may be made in the kitchen, but I was able to change the shape of my naturally "poofy" stomach through exercise and a moderate (not deprivation) diet. And I've had two c-sections. If I can do it, anybody can!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Curl from Kari Anderson is good. Also, The firm's 5-day Abs is good.

I actually take an abs class at the gym every week. I see results from that. Spinning and pilates, too.
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I like www.randomabs.com. A different routine each day and it's free.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    FTR, washboard abs may be made in the kitchen, but I was able to change the shape of my naturally "poofy" stomach through exercise and a moderate (not deprivation) diet. And I've had two c-sections. If I can do it, anybody can!

This is what happened to me. I had an emergency c-section with my son, and had to have a planned one with my daughter. I did get my abs back after having my son, but after having my daughter (the youngest) they are still poofy. I will try one of these videos you ladies recommended and go from there.

Thanks, everyone!
  • shakew8
    shakew8 Posts: 9
    Options

ding ding, we have a winner! If you're doing your squats, overhead presses etc. you should be using them to stabilize already. If not, a handful of situps/leg raises/planks after a workout 2x a week should be sufficient. There is no need for 45 minutes of constant ab work.
  • healthyamyb
    healthyamyb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    www.randomabs.com always has a new routine each day which I really like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVU6HGmyVk&feature=relmfu - I also liked this video, it's only ten min, but you can do it twice!
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/35665 - I also like Cindy WHitmarsh's routines (Found them on exercise tv before it went off the air)
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 c-sections myself. First emergency after a failed homebirth. I am just to tiny. That last little bit at the bottom of ur photo is still the baby pooch that ur body is still fighting to hold onto. And boy does it like to fight. Some girls loose the fat very last there. Me I loose it the first there and last on my thighs, hips, and my arms for some reason! Looks like you do need more cardio and a little more weight loss combined with a solid ab routine to tone and help sculpt and tighten ur ab area. The added muscle will help hold everything together.

If I were you I would be doing 5-10 ab sets M,w,f. I would also do a core workout once a week. I am hoping you are using weights and doing 3 weight workouts a week combined with 3 cardio workouts. That is how you will get the best results. U have to get some weights in there. You can use the web to look up different ab workouts you haven't tried before. I did and it is free. Ones perhaps with weights or an exercise ball perhaps that will also help work your stabilizer muscles.

I just started p90x to mix things up and they have a great ab program. I learned some new moves so that might be an option. They also have a core workout in there. Got mine for 60.00 on Craigslist. lots of cardio too. 12 disks in all.

Good luck though... That last little bit is a killer to get off and you might need to adjust your weight goal down untill you get the desired results. I don't go on weight as much as I do my body fat percentage and how I look in the mirror. It might take you loosing 5 more pounds before your tummy is back. Or maybe none because you gained so much muscle. The scale isn't really a good tool for what you are trying to do. Better off ditching it for a measuring tape and a body fat tester.
  • lbcbeachbum77
    lbcbeachbum77 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It is old school, but, The Firm 5-day abs is amazing. It has a different workout for each day that you do, five days in a row with a pyramid type workout structure. Whenever I use it consistently I notice a really big improvement. You can find it on youtube and netflix. The length of each days video varies from 5-9 minutes.

Goodluck.
  • Zara150
    Zara150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    INSANITY workout has a 15 minute video called Insane abs :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme's Ab Burner, Extreme Abs, Extreme core circuit and I've got abs are all amazing. But I agree with others who have said u need to get the fat off them. It's not ab losing lbs so much as it is lowering body fat percentage. We all have abs, the trick is getting them to show thru. To do that, u gotta get the fat off them. That's why I agree with the whole 'abs are made in the kitchen' sayin. Weight loss is more ab diet than anything.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    my friend has some youtube videos that are pretty good! (and hard!)

http:/ / www. youtube.com/watch?v=DWSy-YM3yBc&feature=plcp
  • handle123
    handle123 Posts: 62
    Options
    Billy Blanks "Bootcamp" ultimate Abs...very hard but Very good!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options

If I were you I would be doing 5-10 ab sets M,w,f. I would also do a core workout once a week. I am hoping you are using weights and doing 3 weight workouts a week combined with 3 cardio workouts. That is how you will get the best results. U have to get some weights in there. You can use the web to look up different ab workouts you haven't tried before. I did and it is free. Ones perhaps with weights or an exercise ball perhaps that will also help work your stabilizer muscles.

I just started p90x to mix things up and they have a great ab program. I learned some new moves so that might be an option. They also have a core workout in there. Got mine for 60.00 on Craigslist. lots of cardio too. 12 disks in all.

Thanks for all the advice/info! I workout 6 days a week doing: Jillian Michael's Trouble Zones every other day, and TurboFire Greatest HIITS every other day. It has got me to lose weight fairly quickly, but I am losing more weight in my legs and UPPER abs. Not the lower. But...you may be right. This may be the last area to go. I will just keep working! :)