morning or evening workouts-what works best for you and why?

Options
jackflak
jackflak Posts: 153 Member
Morning everyone!

For the last 2 weeks, I have been doing Insanity in the afternoons with a friend and she wanted to try working out in the mornings. So today was the first one at 5 am.

Question for everyone is-When do you workout and what are the benefits/cons for each?

Replies

• caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I like mornings cause it hels start my day out right, but sometimes night workouts are nice. I get some nice sleep if I work out late. Usually though it all depends on my kids sometimes. Whenever I can workout without them is best for me.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do what works with my schedule.. in the summer that means mornings and in the fall that means evenings.
  • dangermouse1961
    Options
    I workout lunch time/mid afternoon. The reason being I've had 2 meals so plenty of energy stores in my muscles. The other reason is that the body has had chance to warm up and therefore I feel I get a much more satisfying workout. I work shifts so sometimes have to workout at other times and find either early morning or late afternoon early evening not so good, usually because I'm tired.
  • JessicaLG23
    Options
    Mornings. I am not a morning person but once I get up and start I feel so much better. I don't have to think about when I am going to sqeeze a work out in during the evening hours.
  • y0mbo
    y0mbo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Afternoon workouts for me.

I work from home with two sons (15 and 10) roaming the house (at least for summer). The mornings are quiet before they wake up, so I work during that time. I find evenings too late (often I'm too tired to get my workout started), so afternoons work best.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    While I am so not a morning person, I like morning workouts best. No time for me to give excuses and it gets the workout out of the way. I also feel great the whole day when I work out first thing in the morning!
  • joe_nismo
    joe_nismo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've heard rumors that morning cardio is a good idea, because it gets your metabolism fired up and you are going to burn more calories through out the day than doing cardio in the evening. I know that I, personally, seem to have a lot more energy and motivation to workout in the evening and it seems to help me fall asleep.
    A pro for evening workout with a 8-5pm schedule like mine is that if you have friends that like to go out late then you are more able to meet up with them after the gym and you have all morning to "rehydrate". If I do morning workouts I am usually exhausted by 9pm because I'm having to wake at 5am, plus I can't really go out and drink knowing that I have a 5am workout the next morning.

I think the best thing is to workout when you have the most movitvation an eneregy. If you feel better overall before and after in the evenings than that is best.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I usually do a little of both depending on my schedule, The morning ones for the most part are more relaxed, the evening workouts are more exhausting because usually i'm trying to makeup for the damage i did that day. Even though i am more of a morning person, i do end up working harder on the evening workouts than the moringing ones
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    currently both around 20 mins pre work 1 hour post work
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    While I prefer to workout in the morning if I can, my work schedule doesn't really permit it (unless I wanted to get up at 4:00am, so I could have time to shower afterwards..). So I generally go to the gym as soon as I get home in the afternoon around 3:30. If I'm busy in the afternoon, I'll go after 7:00, mainly because I hate going at "gym rush hour" between 5 and 7 when people are coming after work. There's nothing more frustrating and discouraging to me than having to wait for machines or weights behind 3 other people!

That said, I don't think it really matters when you workout, as long as you do workout :smile:
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I workout in the evenings because it's the only time available. I work 9 hour days and I simply cannot get up at 4am to run.

It works for me. It turns out that I'm usually not hungry after running for 60-75 minutes so dinner often doesn't happen...which is why I end up grazing all day. I'm minus 28 pounds and only a few pounds from my goal weight...so, no problems.

Working out at night also helps me sleep better...
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Every day right after work. Go to the gym on the way home, then I have the rest of the night to relax
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    I fluctuate between do to my work schedule but the last week or so I was working out in the morning and loving it. I felt better the whole day.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    A bit of both really.
    I like to do my butt bible workouts in the morning before I have my shower because I sweat like crazy! Also lets me enjoy the rest of my day :smile: If I've got a morning shift, I'll do it when I get home from work though.

I like to go swimming at night because that's typically when the adults only sessions are and because it's the summer holidays, the public sessions are full of kids and families and can't really get a good workout (discovered this last week) or early morning.

I like to do my wii workouts in the evening, although I do like a yoga and muscle workout in the morning to help me feel refreshed :smile:
  • Byemma
    Byemma Posts: 55
    Options
    I like mornings a lot better, because I can concentrate better the rest of the day and I'm more productive. That's what I (try to) do in the summer and weekends. During school I already get up very early, so I do it right after school (productive during homework time!) or in the evenings.

I like the mornings because I put the rest of my day in better use and I can concentrate better. Plus, I started the day in a good way. Evenings don't work for me that well, because I'm already tired and don't feel like working out anymore.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm stronger in the morning, I can feel a difference, so I'm definitely a morning exerciser.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Morning everyone!

For the last 2 weeks, I have been doing Insanity in the afternoons with a friend and she wanted to try working out in the mornings. So today was the first one at 5 am.

Question for everyone is-When do you workout and what are the benefits/cons for each?

I have a hard time dragging myself out of bed to do my 5AM workout, but I feel SO much better when I do. Today I did and I'm going to try to go at 5 every day this week. It frees up my afternoons after work to make nice dinners and pack lunches, do housework, etc.

It also gives me more energy when I go in the mornings. Some days I can't get myself out of bed and I end up going after work-I gotta say I feel better when I go at 5.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evenings because it's the only time available. I work 9 hour days and I simply cannot get up at 4am to run.

It works for me. It turns out that I'm usually not hungry after running for 60-75 minutes so dinner often doesn't happen...which is why I end up grazing all day. I'm minus 28 pounds and only a few pounds from my goal weight...so, no problems.

Working out at night also helps me sleep better...

DITTO for me ! If I work out in the AM, I kinda drag my tail the rest of the day. If should also mention that if I work out at night, I have more time for my work out. I am a 9-5 er and an AM work out would have to be very limited.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Mornings was at the gym @ 5:45 am today. If I don't get them done in the morning I wont go. Hate going after work because 1) I am already tired from working all day and just want to relax. 2) Gym is super crowded in the evenings making it hard to get the weights & benches I want.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    While I prefer to workout in the morning if I can, my work schedule doesn't really permit it (unless I wanted to get up at 4:00am, so I could have time to shower afterwards..). So I generally go to the gym as soon as I get home in the afternoon around 3:30. If I'm busy in the afternoon, I'll go after 7:00, mainly because I hate going at "gym rush hour" between 5 and 7 when people are coming after work. There's nothing more frustrating and discouraging to me than having to wait for machines or weights behind 3 other people!

That said, I don't think it really matters when you workout, as long as you do workout :smile:

Agreed !