17 DAY DIET??? HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS??

Options
Hi:

Had anyone tried this diet?
The 17 Day Diet Plan

Days 1 – 17 are to “Accelerate” on a low carbohydrate diet that provides around 1200 calories. Eat unlimited lean meat and no-starch vegetables, two fat-free plain yogurts and two low-sugar fruits, a bit of oil, green tea, and 64 ounces of water a day. Typical for any low carb diet, fat-burning and fluid loss is favored during those days.

Days 18 – 34 are to “Activate” by calorie cycling (aka calorie shifting or calorie zigzagging), which means that the daily calorie intake cycles and recycles from low to high over the course of several days. The goal is to trick the metabolism to prevent it from slowing down. Two servings of whole grains are added to the above to raise the average calorie intake to 1500 a day.

Days 35 – 51 are to “Achieve” good eating habits that last a lifetime. This phase is the same as “Activate” except that lean meat is no longer unlimited and more grains and fruit are added, along with an optional serving of alcohol and a 100-calorie snack. In other words, the low carb diet is 'Out' and a balanced low-calorie diet is 'In' sans the processed food.

Day 52 and on are to “Arrive” at a lifelong eating plan, which is a constant cycling through phases 1, 2 and 3 - until the weekends when you can splurge. But don’t binge, says Dr. Mike, and if you gain more than 5 pounds, return immediately to phase 2.

Replies

• SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds too complicated, and I might starve at 1200 calories for 2 1/2 weeks.

I might even starve at 1500 calories for 2 1/2 weeks.
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have heard of it. Are you considering it? If so, I will join you. I need to find a program to get me past this one month plateau.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and it made me miserable! It is hard to sustain such a way of eating. It is better to eat healthy, whole foods without trying to follow such a strict plan. It goes in 17 day increments with different eating plans for each 17 day period. I followed the plan exactly for the first 17 days while doing light exercise and didn't lose a pound. I have lost over 50 pounds on my own since. A lifestyle change is a much better choice than a fad diet.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I tried it, but didn't really commit to it. I did loose 5 pounds the first week. I have a friend that did it with her husband and they have been very successful with it. I have the book. Some of the recipes are really great. I say give it a try. You never know what will work for you.
  • zer0trigger
    Options
    i tried it and lost 10 pounds with it and didn't gain it back. im now taking aspects of it in my regular diet. i'm 15 pounds away to my goal. try it out, just use a lot of spices and check out the fb fan page. here's a link to the recipe page that really helps out for snacks and stuff.

http://17ddgal.blogspot.com
    http://www.17daydietblog.com/
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Sounds too complicated, and I might starve at 1200 calories for 2 1/2 weeks.

I might even starve at 1500 calories for 2/12 weeks.

Hahaha! Considering I typically consume 2000cals per day, even my tiny self would starve at 1200 cals lol
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I did. I was stuck for several months on a plateau and this was more a way to break the plateau than anything else. It also let me see how carb heavy my diet was. I lost 8 pounds through the whole thing. I just needed to break out of the patterns I was in and this gave me a plan to do it.
    I didn't buy into the Activate, Accelerate, etc labels. I just knew I needed a plan and this worked for me. And it got my cholesterol down.
    It's worth a shot to break a plateau. It's hard though. Those first few days I was dreaming about donuts. Once the cravings subsided I felt really good. More energetic, more alert.
    I don't follow the diet anymore (though I may do the first 17 days again before my sister's wedding). I have changed my ways. I get more protein, more vegetables, more fresh fruit and less bread than before. And if I do have grains it's either high fiber cereal or multigrain sandwich thins.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    There actually is no calorie limit until you get to the third cycle. Unlimited lean protein (turkey, chicken, fish, eggs). Unlimited non-starchy vegetables. Two servings of low-sugar fruit, two servings of probiotics (yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut). I ate a lot of grilled chicken salads. I ate a hard boiled and yogurt for breakfast, a salad with chicken or tuna for lunch, fruit for my afternoon snack, grilled chicken/sauteed fish and assorted vegetables for dinner, more fruit for dessert and a yogurt smoothie for my bedtime snack. Once we had a meal plan down it wasn't hard and I didn't feel deprived. If I was hungry, I always had something I could eat.
  • Allison714
    Allison714 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Saving this
  • chesneyfan01
    chesneyfan01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A co-worker and I are currently doing this. Today is Day 15 of Cycle 1. She has lost around 10lbs and I have lost 5lbs. Its alot easier when you have someone to share ideas for meals and have someone to talk to about your progress. Good Luck!! :smile:
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP pals tried it several times with great success! I'd be good for about 10 days and fall off. MsCycone is her name. Inbox her I'm sure she'd be willing to share the ups and downs.:happy:
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Ask any nutritionist and they will tell you that it's the worst thing you can do. My friend did it and while she did lose weight, she's now what they call "skinny fat".
  • portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Had anyone tried this diet?
    The 17 Day Diet Plan

Days 1 – 17 are to “Accelerate” on a low carbohydrate diet that provides around 1200 calories. Eat unlimited lean meat and no-starch vegetables, two fat-free plain yogurts and two low-sugar fruits, a bit of oil, green tea, and 64 ounces of water a day. Typical for any low carb diet, fat-burning and fluid loss is favored during those days.

Days 18 – 34 are to “Activate” by calorie cycling (aka calorie shifting or calorie zigzagging), which means that the daily calorie intake cycles and recycles from low to high over the course of several days. The goal is to trick the metabolism to prevent it from slowing down. Two servings of whole grains are added to the above to raise the average calorie intake to 1500 a day.

Days 35 – 51 are to “Achieve” good eating habits that last a lifetime. This phase is the same as “Activate” except that lean meat is no longer unlimited and more grains and fruit are added, along with an optional serving of alcohol and a 100-calorie snack. In other words, the low carb diet is 'Out' and a balanced low-calorie diet is 'In' sans the processed food.

Day 52 and on are to “Arrive” at a lifelong eating plan, which is a constant cycling through phases 1, 2 and 3 - until the weekends when you can splurge. But don’t binge, says Dr. Mike, and if you gain more than 5 pounds, return immediately to phase 2.

Anything that you cannot sustain for a prolonged amount of time seems like it just will not end up being what you want. Sure you may lose some weight while trying to stick to this diet, but in the end unless you make a life style change to actually change the way you eat, way you cook, way you do your shopping, your weight will continue down that yo-yo path. You will go down during a diet and back up afteward. MFP Works just give it its shot.

ALSO there is no tricking your metabolism... this is simply stupid. Over 3000 years of evolution and ppl still think you can "Trick" your metabolism... Whatever you put into your body your body will use. Whether it be bad food or good food.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    bump
  • annehoke
    annehoke Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm on it now. Lost 7 pounds on the first cycle. It's sensible and the pounds come off easily. It's not hard to follow and you don't really have to even track calories--though I do. Give it a try. I think you'll be pretty happy with the results.
  • jajelasani
    Options
    Hi

I only have 1200 anyway, and have lost over 30lbs this year.
    I have gone down from 18st 2lbs.
    I eat absolutely anything (not olives) lol, but just have less of it,
    and whilst there are some days i over eat i try to have sensible portions and get back on track as soon as possible.
    I look at everything else as money making products and gadgets (for others not us)
    As you progress you will save money yourself, buy buying less crap and even better less unhealthy and expensive foods lol x
    Keep up the good work everyone and whilst the sun's out walk, drink plenty of water, eat more fruit and less crap . x
  • Nillia2
    Nillia2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later..sounds interesting. Not quite understanding the guy that says if you cant maintain something..blah blah blah...as i see it, that's what the last phase is for :S. And the diet doesn't sound that bad, cutting out the stuff we should be cutting out anyways.

I'll start this in August :)
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    interesting, but i wouldn't do it.

i'll stick to low carb high fat. much easier.
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    Tried it, but couldn't keep it up.