What to eat when at the fair all day! Help!

Options
I am going to the fair (PNE for all those that are from BC) leaving the house very early in the morning returning the next day. Everything at the fair seems to be deep fried. I think they even deep fry butter! I was thinking of packing a small cooler to put in a backpack, but 6 meals? wholly crap! If you are lucky you can get a locker to put your backpack in. Even if I had a cheat meal in there I am not eating deep fried, I would feel so sick! Here are my choices
http://www.pne.ca/thefair/rides-games-food/food.html

Replies

• LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow, the food sounds YUM!
    So many options there & I don't think you'll have a problem finding healthier options!
    I'm seeing loads of grilled meats rather than fried, greek salad, roasted corn, fresh fruit shakes, fresh lemonades etc. There are often good option in Chinese or indian cuisine

I would probably go for crepes for one meal too ...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am going to the fair (PNE for all those that are from BC) leaving the house very early in the morning returning the next day. Everything at the fair seems to be deep fried. I think they even deep fry butter! I was thinking of packing a small cooler to put in a backpack, but 6 meals? wholly crap! If you are lucky you can get a locker to put your backpack in. Even if I had a cheat meal in there I am not eating deep fried, I would feel so sick! Here are my choices

Why do you need to eat 6 meals?

I'm not sure how well you've been sticking to your diet but one option would be to go enjoy yourself at the fair and return to your diet the next day.

Now being realistic, if you don't do things like this too often, and you don't use this as an excuse to over-eat all the time, taking a day like this every now and then can be very healthy. EDIT: I'm referring to mental health and the ability to relax and not worry so much about every last calorie that passes your lips.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Instead of packing for all the meals, why not pack to supplement the options? For example: You could get a grilled chicken on a stick, or grilled chicken sandwich (no bread if you don't like to eat bread). In your backpack you can carry fruits/veggies that do not require refrigeration: apples, carrots, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc etc. You won't be packing an entire day's worth of meals and the pack won't be heavy with these "sides".
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    After looking at how low your daily intake is, I would suggest enjoying the day and eating what you like at the fair, echoing Sidesteal....
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would start with the deep fried jelly beans....followed by a deep fried oreo, then some poutine, and a foot long hotdog.

Seriously though, there does seem to be some pretty good choices in there. You could plan out from the menu what you want to eat and just keep the list with you so that when you get hungry you know where to go. Or pack some cut up veggies, fruit, protein bar etc. in your bag with you and just have something for lunch. "Henrys BBQ" looks pretty good. BBQ chicken cooked over charcoal. No deep frying involved.

Have fun at the PNE, I hope to get there when my kids are much, much older. I hear its amazing.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    I would start with the deep fried jelly beans....followed by a deep fried oreo, then some poutine, and a foot long hotdog.

Seriously though, there does seem to be some pretty good choices in there. You could plan out from the menu what you want to eat and just keep the list with you so that when you get hungry you know where to go. Or pack some cut up veggies, fruit, protein bar etc. in your bag with you and just have something for lunch. "Henrys BBQ" looks pretty good. BBQ chicken cooked over charcoal. No deep frying involved.

Have fun at the PNE, I hope to get there when my kids are much, much older. I hear its amazing.

Mmm....bbq chicken!!! That's what I want for lunch!
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was at the fair yesterday. I ate what I wanted and today I am back to eating "healthy". I would go crazy if I was at the fair and couldn't eat a gyro. lol
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Take a cooler is what I would do. I pack my food for almost everywhere I go. Have fun!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Instead of packing for all the meals, why not pack to supplement the options? For example: You could get a grilled chicken on a stick, or grilled chicken sandwich (no bread if you don't like to eat bread). In your backpack you can carry fruits/veggies that do not require refrigeration: apples, carrots, bananas, oranges, grapes, etc etc. You won't be packing an entire day's worth of meals and the pack won't be heavy with these "sides".

This is what I suggest. I spent a week at our county fair and I only got deep fried once. That was french fries! I got pulled BBQ pork twice, chinese, and cajun. I got a taco salad and also had a snowcone.

I think everyone else is saying that if you look, it is easy to find something that is relatively healthy (as in not fried). You can have fried just don't go over board. Stick to good portions and share with someone when possible. :wink:
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    In this scenario I would pre pack breakfast and lunch, walk a lot and have the dinner you want - I did this for a 4 day music festival and still lost 2lbs that week
    Good luck - Whatever happens, don't give yourself a hard time
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    B and B with their fresh roasted Corn, The C Lovers and fresh fish or seafood,
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy the day and eat what you want - call it an off plan day. The only gain in weight willl be from water. And you'll be walking around all day so you'll be active.

Just go easy on the carby, junky stuff and you'll be fine - stick to high-protein/high-fat items and go easy on the carbs. Fat is filling (fat leaves the tummy slowly so you stay full longer), protein is satiating, those junky carbs will just keep you hungry all day and wanting more carbs. Eating high-protein/high-fat you'll find you probaby won't eat as much.

One day will not ruin everything.

Edit: And some of those rides you have to hold on for dear life so you'll be getting in a strength workout, too!!!
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    the 6 meals meaning snacks as well as main meals I guess I would be eating breakfast at home. I could go off a bit and i was thinking the Greek place looked yummy and healthy! I will use it as my splurge day and try not to beat myself up about it as I will be spending my whole day moving. Who knows I could be losing most of my food after some of the rides anyway...eww.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your input guys!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want.

Your weight loss goals will not be obliterated in 1 day at the fair.

Have some fun and just be like "I can lose half a pound this week instead of 1 pound".
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Fried dough, fried oreos, sweet potato fries, kettle corn, corn dog, ice cream sundae, taco salad, chicken wings and a diet coke
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Fried dough, fried oreos, sweet potato fries, kettle corn, corn dog, ice cream sundae, taco salad, chicken wings and a diet coke

Yeeeeah, I agree with this poster.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went to the fair on Saturday, and had a small bag of mini donuts, a bite of hubby's pulled pork sandwich, a large fresh lemonade and an ice cream cone. Ate pretty regularly for the rest of the day as well and weighed in 2 pounds lighter than last week this morning. One thing I think you should take into account as well is how much walking you'll do. Standing and walking for 4, 5, 6 hours at the fair is alot of work. Enjoy your day, splurge a little and get back to your regular eating tomorrow. Trust me, eating carrot and celery sticks while everyone else is having footlongs and funnel cakes will just make you crave it more and feel deprived.