Healthy heart + the relationship with cholesterol

Options
bazfitness
bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
Before a recent post of mine I believed as had never heard otherwise that high cholesterol was bad. Was first brought to my attention that this assumption I had might have been incorrect in another thread. Then an mfp pal who saw the thread sent me this link
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2010/11/cholesterol-heart-disease-–-there-is-a-relationship-but-it’s-not-what-you-think/

Found this one also via a quick Google search
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-430682/Have-conned-cholesterol.html

Now I really don't get it - either cholesterol has a proven correlation to heart disease or it doesn't. It's basic statistics. According to the 2 links (2 of just many) it's BS - there is no correlation. So which is it - are high levels of cholesterol proven to be bad for you or not according to the latest information. As I say this is basic statistics, so for there to be two polarized stances on this - one side is pretty much deliberately lying and masking it for the general public with phony science! Why am I not surprised! :angry:

If it turns out to be the case that high cholesterol in itself is a non-issue... what measures should one undertake to avoid heart problems. Both my parents had heart problems and had to undergo by-passes. I want to give myself a fighting chance against having the same fate!

Personally I think I should continue to do much of the stuff I've been doing anyway. like healthier eating and intense exercise, but I'm far less certain I should be specifically targeting reduced cholesterol

Replies

• diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Personally I think I should continue to do much of the stuff I've been doing anyway. like healthier eating and intense exercise, but I'm far less certain I should be specifically targeting reduced cholesterol

My thoughts too... But I would love to hear from others.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Yup, it is true that:
    - Dietary cholesterol consumption does not affect blood serum cholesterol level
    - Having 'high' cholesterol as defined by most doctors is NOT a predictor for heart issues anyway

In fact, in some studies lower cholesterol is a predictor for increased risk of heart issues.

Some governments have quietly acknowledged this but it seems the myth remains (hence the fear of eating too many eggs).

The fear of dietary cholesterol runs alongside the unfounded fear of consuming fat, including saturated fat. Dietary fat will not make us fat or drive heart disease either. This link has never been proven.

This has driven us to the current advice to consume a 'low fat' diet. Given we have to eat *something* and we can only take so much protein we have been told to eat more carbohydrate and concentrate on calories in versus out.

And this, folks, is how politically motivated dietary advice based on rubbish 'science' sent us down the obese and diabetic path.

But hell, don't take my word for, check it out for yourselves because we ain't going to get anywhere but following doctors who look at coconut oil, see 92% saturated fat and warn us against it.

Tread your own path, be your own heath care professional.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Eating cholesterol has no correlation with your cholestorol levels. What raises your cholesterol levels is mostly saturated fats and physical inactivitey. So continue to eat healthy (ignore cholesterol levels in foods) and exercise!
  • bazfitness
    Options
    Thanks for your reply DeadVim.

I think it's been pretty much debunked that dietary cholesterol isn't a factor. I also have no problems with eating fats and I have cut back on carbs.Anyway it wasn't what I was aiming this post at. What I was driving at... are your own blood cholesterol levels an issue. I think you're addressing this by
    In fact, in some studies lower cholesterol is a predictor for increased risk of heart issues.

Would like some more opinions whether you're nay or yay to blood serum cholesterol levels (not the cholesterol you consume - that's another issue that seems to be debunked) being an issue
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Yeh, sorry for rambling on my soapbox ... What I should have said was ...

I don't care what my cholesterol level is because it is not a predictor for heart disease.

And taking statins are addressing a non-problem and increasing other risks unnecessarily IMO.

Our bodies make cholesterol naturally, lots of it. It's needed for a whole host of maintenance and repair operations.

Blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming the fire brigade because they are always found near a fire.

Correlation does not equal causation.
  • bazfitness
    Options
    I don't care what my cholesterol level is because it is not a predictor for heart disease.

And taking statins are addressing a non-problem and increasing other risks unnecessarily IMO.

Thanks once again for your reply DV. Ok... so let's say for now forget about cholesterol... what do you or others think are predictors for heart disease.

My inexpert guessing coupled with what I've gleamed from reading or scrimping over online articles and forum posts would suggest these
    1. Genetics.
    2. Body fat percentage
    3. Levels of physical activity
    4. Starchy foods.
    5. Trans Fats.
    6. Processed foods (related to 4 and 5)

Anybody got any more or disagree with my ad-hoc list?
  • JulieHearts
    JulieHearts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a nurse who has worked in cardiology for the past 10 years, currently in cardiac rehabilitation where I help patients after hearts attacks, bypass surgery etc. get their risk factors under control and reduce their risks of a second cardiac event.

Foods that are in general high in 'bad' fats (saturated, trans fats) are usually high in cholesterol. It is true that about 80% of the cholesterol in your body is made by your very own liver. Cholesterol in the right levels is essential for life (cell wall structure for example). Too much cholesterol production and all that extra cholesterol has to go somewhere. With a combination of risk factors (family history, cigarette smoking, physical inactivity, high blood pressure, diabetes), plaques will develop in the heart arteries and in the arteries elsewhere in your body (stroke, peripheral vascular disease).

What about the 20% that's from your diet? Well, if you are eating foods high in cholesterol then you are not doing yourself any favours. I have seen patients on maximal lipid lowering therapies (cholesterol drugs) who still have high cholesterol... as my favourite cardiologist would say 'he/she is eating right through that medication'... meaning yup, excess dietary cholesterol can give you elevated cholesterol levels.

There is an excess of scientific evidence from randomized control trials that has shown that elevated LDL levels (bad cholesterol) even in the absence of other risk factors can cause heart disease. I'm from Canada so I have given you a few links for the most recent guidelines which were in 2009 and are being updated for release in 2012. You may also want to check your own 'risk score'. The Framingham risk score gives you a 10 year %age as to your risk of dying from a cardiac event (specifically a heart attack). Based on your risk score, the lipid guidelines show you what your levels should be and what you need to do to get them to the target (giving you the lowest risk). If you are from the US, note we measure choelsterol levels differently - Canada mmol/L US mg/ml...

Heart disease is complicated and multifactorial. As a clinician, I would consider the fact that both your parents had bypass' to be a strong family history. Having yearly physicals, getting your cholesterol checked yearly to track and changes, watching BP, exercising and eating a healthy diet will be essential. My mom had a heart attack at 50. On a fluke I decided to get my cholesterol levels checked and it was through he roof. Turns out I have an inherited genetic abnormality that causes excessively high LDL levels, which she had too and didn't know. I have been on a statin (Crestor) for over 10 years (I'm 36!) and have no regrets about it and will take it everyday. I know it will save my life.

I think its great to be well informed, do your own research and make your own decisions about your health. But don't use Dr. Google for all the answers. See your own physician and have a discussion.

www.cvdriskcheck.com/FraminghamRiskScore.aspx

www.ccs.ca/download/.../2009_Dyslipidemia-Guidelines.pdf

www.ccs.ca/download/position_statements/lipids.pdf
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I happened to read an interesting article on heart disease and cholesterol over the weekend:

http://www.menshealth.com/health/understanding-cholesterol-and-heart-disease?fullpage=true

If I read this correctly, it's not really the total number of ldl cholesterol you have, it's how much of a specific type of ldl cholesterol. Unfortunately, there isn't any real information here about how to lower your chances of increasing the small, dense type of ldl cholesterol, but if I did read this correctly, there is a direct correlation between the levels of HDL vs LDL - namely, the more one of those types goes up, the more the other goes down. So, if that it true - it at least give you something more concrete to aim for - over 40 HDL.

Unfortunately, this article is undated (I hate that - if you are going to post something, for heaven's sake date it so we know how old the information is!) but it also kind of lends to the fact that you shouldn't really trust Dr. Google. - but then, who do you trust? And does anyone really know what causes heart disease?

I've been concerned for some time because my daughter's father died suddenly at the young age of 38 from atherosclerosis - and naturally, I want to know if my daughter inherited the possiblity of similar problems! Her father was adopted, so we have no record what so ever of family history, so I'm doing the best that I can with what I know for sure - I encourage regular strong workouts and clean eating, at least in so much as is possible for a 16 year old to manage! :)

I am of the opinion that all of the junk going into processed foods is somehow at the basis of the current health epidemic - heart issues as well - and that absolutely includes all of the excessive sugar that is just everywhere! I am a chronic food label reader and I am absolutely astonished at how much sugar has been added to foods, even things as basic as a can of beans! Needless to say, I tend to stick to the out aisles of the grocery store. My daughter is a typical teenager and she is going off to college in four weeks, so I can only hope that she will follow a healthy pursuit.

bazfitness - sure wish there was a definitive list for avoiding heart disease - would make things much simpler!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The straight dope on cholesterol - Part IX
    http://eatingacademy.com/cholesterol-2/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-ix

Long series of blog posts made short, it's the sugar. Now if someone would actually fund the needed studies instead of letting us wallow in ignorance and kill ourselves...