i just dont get it...

Options
Ok anyone got on scale today and i am gaining weight. I been trying to listening others post etc but not seeing anything happening, when will i see a change? I am getting freaked out. I am not losing inches either. When I first started this I was full all time and losing half to a pound a week now i am starving at night, but just at night and am gaining weight what am I doing wrong? I still am controlling my diet and workout at least 5-6 days a week.

Replies

• Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am a rookie, so don't listen to me necessarily... but I believe "starving" means the body is going to hang onto every pound it can to survive.,..

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
  • shandajenkins70
    shandajenkins70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    so do u think i not eating enough?
  • shandajenkins70
    Options
    i barely can eat the calories i eat now and i think its the because their good healthy filling calories etc so i stay fuller longer then by night time it catches up with me.
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you're working out 5-6 days a week and feel hungry you are not getting enough fuel. Your body is holding onto whatever it can. you might have to eat the calories you burn. Thats what I have to do in order to lose, otherwise I gain. Try eating back half the calories you are burning and see if that helps. Your body needs a certain number of calories just to function and if you're barely eating that much AND burning at the same time, you're starving yourself.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I took a look at your diary. You have calories left over daily. Some days as much as 600. If you are hungry why not listen to your body and eat something.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Acording to Fat 2 Fit Radio, you should never eat fewer calories than you BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). Your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the fat. They seem to know what they're talking about, too. Use their calculator on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    I'm not supposed to eat less than 1400 calories a day to LOSE weight. Funny, huh?
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    More than likely not eating enough. Try adding 200 calories daily. It's pretty easy to slip in a healthy balanced snack for 200 calories. I didn't start relosing until I upped my calories to match my activity level. The harder your body is working, the more calories it needs. You'll still be at a deficit.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think you need to eat more. I eat back my exercise calories and have never plateaued. You are making your deficit too large and slowing your metabolism.....I think.
  • dry61ed
    dry61ed Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. I did not read your diary but I do know (after researching for myself) that 1200 calories is what an average sedentary female needs for her body daily. So if you are not getting that many calories or are active, then you have to have more fuel. Eat when you are hungry. Have a snack at night if you feel "starving".
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your ticker and joining date line up but assuming they do, the fact that you've lost 10 pounds in less than 2 months is pretty impressive! Could be your body is still adjusting to the changes and you need to give it time...

Eat back at least half of your exercise calories. This will give you 100-200 calories at minimum for a little snack in the evening. Try a handful of almonds or a spoonful of peanut butter or even some fruit.

I'd suggest adding sodium to your tracker. A little extra salt in your diet, especially without enough water to counteract it can lead to water retention which will mess up both the weight and body measurements.

Which leads me to my next point - drink more water! Aim for at least the recommended 8 cups per day, more if you're active and/or have a high sodium diet. A good guideline is to take half your body weight in pounds and aim to drink that many ounces per day. I weigh 175 so that's 87.5 ounces or about 11 cups. The other important piece of this is that the hunger/thirst signals feel the same. A little water may help that hunger go away.

Also things like TOM (time of the month), irregularity and changes in activity can lead to weight fluctuations.
  • jmac263
    jmac263 Posts: 87
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. This has happened to me before, some times you have to take a break or you have to mix up what you are eating, and the intensity of your work out... sometimes weight loss can be a slow process. Be patient, chin up you can do it!! :)
  • ajwalls257
    Options
    Don't let calories scare you. As long as they are coming from the right sources, there is nothing wrong with eating more often. Calories are a unit of measurement. They measure the amount of energy that the food gives your. If you are working out 5-6 times you need to give your body fuel. Think of it as if you were running your car low on oil and fuel. It would not thrive in those conditions. If you are starving yourself, you are just setting yourself up for failure.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just went through the past 2 weeks in your diary and most days you have a good number of calories left (over 150 most of the time, ususally higher). If you're hungry, by all means add another snack (or two!). Maybe some almonds or other nuts would be a good snack - it will keep you full throughout the night too!

PS your diary looks great! Lots of yummy stuff in there :)
  • lemedieval
    Options
    It is much harder for women to raise their metabolism enough to consistently lose a pound a week, especially the ones after the first 10. There are a few things you might want to try. Firstly, drink more water. Really. Sometimes you don't realize that you're not giving your bod enough fluid to engage in its usual functions, especially if you are in an area that is having the awful summer heatwave. Secondly, change up your diet: eat foods higher in protein and lower in carbs. Don't worry about fat so much as the protein. Sometimes just changing your diet can re-invigorate the metabolism. Recent studies (see NYTimes article from a couple weeks ago) suggest that low glycemic and high protein diets work best. Thirdly, change your exercise routine. You might not be burning as many calories as you think because your body is working more efficiently. Example: professional dancers actually burn fewer calories than inexperienced dancers because their bodies are used to moving a particular way. Fourthly, if you are leaving calories "on the table" you might want to double-check your portion control: it might be that you are eating more than you think.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    You have calories left over each day, sometimes a LOT of calories ....... so if you're hungry, then EAT :drinker:

Good luck !
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry listen to your body. You don't have to go wild and eat a ton but a low cal protein and carb would satisfy that and keep your body balanced. A cheese stick & half an apple or a small yogurt with just a little granola. Even a few almonds or other nuts would satisfy the monster. :happy: Don't get discouraged! It's all part of the process and your body learning new routines and adjustments. You are going to do great! :flowerforyou:
  • lyonsfool03
    Options
    As a Police Officer living in South Louisiana I discovered the hard way being overweight in the scorching sun is a torcher. Though I would sweat out tons in a bullistic vest I thought maybe i could trim down by eating less. That option didnt work for me so a friend recommended to me try meeting my calorie intake per my bmr, which was 1980 calories daily. I have been doing workouts for the past few months and alternating different style workouts daily, which turned out to be my best option. Also I do recommend increasing smaller portion meals instead of the basic 3 big meals that we have grown up knowing. I have sometimes up to 6 meals daily and in 2 months I was able to lose over 20 lbs. By sticking to strong Cardio excersices daily with random strength building workouts throughout the week. I wish you the best of luck and Happy Losing :)
  • shandajenkins70
    Options
    THANK U ALL SO MUCH U ALL ARE ALL SO ENCOURAGING AS ALWAYS
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Are you logging all your water? If so, you may be dehydrated. You should be getting at least 8 cups per day plus 1 cup for each 1/2 hour of exercise. I shoot for 10 - 14 cups each day.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In your initial post you said you are starving at night, and then in a later post, you said you can't eat all your calories because you are too full?? I would say to eat what MFP says you should eat calorie-wise, try to exercise at least 30 minutes most days of the week, and if you are hungry, eat your exercise calories back (if you set your activity to sedentary). Drink enough water to keep your body from retaining water (I know it sounds contradictory, but it's true), and give it a little time. If you are honest about your intake and don't see results within a month, then you may want to visit the doctor and have some blood tests to ensure that there isn't a metabolic problem.