How do I combat EXTREME soreness and stiffness?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Try some foam roller and mobility work. I've been using Joe DeFranco's Agile 8 as a warmup for the past several months and it's worked wonders for me.

I agree. Foam rolling is excellent as is mobility work. Getting the muscles moving at a lower intensity level has helped me a lot in the past when I had a lot of muscle pain. BTW, the foam rolling will hurt, especially where the muscle is knotted up, but it will feel so much better after.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    ages ago when i first started fencing, i felt like that after my class for...umm...a lot longer than i should have xP

i've been out of it for a while and i know when i go back in it's going to hurt.

epsom salt soaks do help. a little. honestly, i never found anything else other than toughing through it until my muscles got used to what i was asking them to do.

sorry i can't be more helpful. but on the bright side, you know you got a workout and that it won't kill you? even though it feels like it might.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    stretch, stretch, stretch, water, protein and keep using the muscles through the soreness. It gets easier I promise
  • dry61ed
    dry61ed Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    More than one person mentioned "foam rollers", I will need to check them out also. Sound interesting. :)
  • coderby
    coderby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think the thing to remember is if you're out of shape and suddenly going into heavy exercise - which MMA is I know from personal experience as I've been training it myself for a year and half - is that you're going to ache it's pretty inevitable, it will decrease with time but the initial sessions will probably make you suffer for a few days afterwards. Stretching does help but a half decent instructor will run you through the stretches as part of the class and describe the feeling you get when you're doing it right. A little bit of light exercise everyday will help it clear, just walking. If you stretch at home that should help but remember never to stretch your muscles when they're cold.
  • coderby
    coderby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started insanity a few weeks ago and I was really sore but powered through and I'm pain free now. I drink protein shakes and tons of water. It's just your muscles building to the new workout, stick to it.
  • IAmMadeOfMeat
    IAmMadeOfMeat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    On thursday I went to my very first Mixed Martial Arts class.

Should I interpret this to mean that you've only just begun working out?

If that's the case, then I have to say right away: don't be discouraged by the soreness! This is completely normal for everyone who's just getting started--or returning after a break.

Over the years, I've fallen in and out of my workout routines many times, and sometimes the breaks have been as little as 2 months. But even after just 2 months of inactivity, the return trip would result in no fewer than 6 days of "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE OW OW OW" and trying to court my poor abused muscles with flowers and sweet nothings for a full week so that they'll trust me again and give me another chance.

After that initial week of excessive soreness, your muscles will adjust to your new workout, and your soreness should only affect you for 1-2 days, tops, and the feeling of "ARGH" won't be nearly as intense during that time.

But that's very general advice that assumes everything else is in working order! The other three important things to consider are:

1. Getting enough water (6-8 cups at least, adjust for more if you're sweating out a bunch)
    2. Getting enough protein to rebuild your muscles optimally (you should be getting as much as you have lean mass, and more on days you're working out)
    3. Getting enough sleep!!! If you're aiming for weight loss first, then your body will be in an anabolic state (ie. the only state in which you can repair/gain muscles) only during your resting periods, so you need the recommended amount of sleep per night to fully recover.

Hope that helps! Keep at it, and you'll find yourself getting stronger every week.
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everyone thank you SO much!!

Yes I did just start working out. I always had an interest in martial arts, and I thought it would be a good means to a healthy and fit body, and would be something that I was pretty sure I would love. Most of the class is muscle building and aerobic, no fighting yet, but that's TOTALLY ok, I understand that the class is mostly jui jitsu based, which is a lot of upper body strength (which I DO NOT have), so I am perfectly happy to train! LOL

Epsom salts...I will try them. Massage, I will try this.
    I fully expected to be sore. I had some soreness/stiffness in the rest of my body (core and arms mostly), but nothing excessive, just enough to know I had been working them. My quads felt like they had been ripped off the bone. I walk a fair bit for work, probably at least 2-3 miles a day.

I believe that limited sleep, and illness may have contributed to my super slow recovery time (I am still a bit stiff in the quads, but completely tolerable). I suspect that, I will have several days like this, as he tends to work in phases. The class is 3 days a week, however I can only attend twice a week. Mondays are cardio night, Tuesdays are upperbody night, and Thursdays are legs and core night. I went on a thursday. I was hoping to go tonight, but I don't think it's a good idea, as I am still fighting this nasty virus.

My scale has gone UP 5lbs since getting sick/the first MMA class (they happened at the same time). I am not sweating it...yet! LOL
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    First time I worked out, I was in pretty extreme pain for almost a full week. I could barely even lift my arms above my head. I did my second exercise day a week after my first. The second time around I was sore for maybe 2 days. After that it's been pretty minimal. You will get acclimated to it quickly.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound silly, but it totally works. Along with al the stretching and massaging that everyone has suggested, drink jello. Add a teaspoon of jello mix (it doesn't have to be the jello brand, specifically, no name or whatever will work - I prefer the orange flavour) to hot water and drink it like tea. And before anyone says it, the calories and sugar are minimal (especially just after a hard work out and they make sugar-free if you're still really concerned).

I told you it was going to sound silly. I don't know why it works (something about the gelatin...?), and maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but a friend of mine swears by this, so I tried it, and it totally works.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    You might find a hot bath makes it worse, unless you douse with cold afterwards - it will keep all the lactic acid built up in your muscles.

But agree with what others have said - it will hurt less next time because your muscles will have built up; you need to move to make the pain less, drink lots of water; and try the foam roller. And protein *right* after to help build that muscle!

Good for you for working so hard. :)

The instructor is really good about warms ups. He does a set at the beginning, one part way through the glass, then a cool down at the end. I think a lot of the problem for me is that I am out of shape, and working SO SO hard to keep up as much as I can. Don't get me wrong, I rest when I need to, but I push myself harder than I would if I was alone.

I will have to remember massage and hot baths. I was scared if I got in a bath, I may not be able to get out LOL I was drinking quite a bit of water too, but since I am sick with some nasty cold/ throat virus, my body seems to be holding onto water like there's no tomorrow. I am drinking and drinking (probably will be close to 3litres by the time I get into bed), but not running to the bathroom much at all. I am sure being sick (I was just coming down with this garbage on thursday) doesn't help matters much either!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've found the absolute best thing for sore muscles is foam rolling. When I only stretch, I find the soreness often remains, however when I do foam rolling after a workout, I recover much faster. I bought my foam roller for $15 from a fitness depot.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've found that the best thing for DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is, an amino acid after workouts (you asked about glutamine), rolling is a must before and after workouts, lots of water, ibuprofen for when it's really bad, rest and a healthy diet.
    Good Luck
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If it's something you're going to continue, try drinking a protein shake within an hour of finishing.

I usd to always be so sore after hard workouts (Insanity) and when I started drinking protein shakes I stopped being as sore. I can still feel it but it'd liveable.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk after; protein, carbs, liquids, electrolytes, yummy, easy
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I find that stretching out the sore muscles helps a lot, kinda loosens them up a little even though it might hurt a bit. Drink water. I love the sore muscle phase. To me it's like my badge of honor reminding me that I busted my butt on the workout! Otherwise keep up the workouts. After a while your muscles will build up to it and they wont be so sore anymore.
  • staryful7
    staryful7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After I do a hard work out I take start with a warm shower and when I almost done I gradually turn to cold. I turn it as cold as I can stand and finish up. It really helps me. I have been doing P90x and the cold showers have really helped me.
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work with a trainer once a month and he kills me.. I am sore for a few days as well. Walking up/down stairs and trying to sit on the toilet.. it's hysterical. But I know I got a great work out. Try to continue stretching out the sore muscles like everyone said, it does wonders and of couse some ibuprofen too!

You'll get better as you go along and get used to the workouts! Good luck and keep up the good work :smile:
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I combat soreness with lots of stretching/yoga, lots of hydration, potassium (bananas), and full bath Epsom soaks. If nothing else, I'd reach for some IBuprofen.