Starting Today. 380#, determined, want to change everything

Options
first day is today. nervous and worried. always talk myself out of making the drastic permanent change i need - self sabotage. But it has to happen this time. The boulder is going over the hill soon on serious health issues. want to be around for my kids..and have a life back.

need to lose 200+ #'s

Replies

• twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    HI! Welcome to MFP. I new here myself, I just joined last week and I already love it! I would love to be a part of your support group, feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • karenp40
    karenp40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    change is never an easy thing, it happens best when you take it one step at a time and dont try to rush it or do everything at once. Each little change you make, will lead to a bigger change next time. You can do this if you set your mind to it. I know you can. If you want to be buddies my username is karenp40 and i am in same boat. Need to lose 150-180 lb and just got really serious with this. I would be happy to be a supportive buddy.
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the weight loss. It'll be so worth it in the end. I'm starting at the high end too, around 300lbs. I have about 150 to lose and its gonna be a rough journey but I can't wait. If you need some more support feel free to add me. You'll get there before you even know it. Of course with hopefully only a little blood, a lot of sweat and only a few tears.
  • reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great first step. I've tried many, many diets in the past, but MFP is the only thing that has worked for me. If you have a smart phone or Ipod touch, be sure to add the app, that way you'll always be able to log your food no matter where you are.
  • RoseThePenguin
    RoseThePenguin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well, there's a whole community here to help you :) The first step is deciding to start and once you've made that step the hardest part is keeping yourself motivated. MFP has that covered though because of all the great people on here I've stayed on it for over a month now.

I hope you find the journey as enjoyable and motivating as I have :)
  • Officialas
    Officialas Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Self motivation, as well as all the lovely support from this site, can and will help you to achieve your goal! Welcome to the site! I'm new here also but can already tell how wonderful and supportive the community is :)
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome to you both. I have been here since January with some ups and downs, but I have stuck with losing weight much longer this time than ever. Even my husband remarks all the time that he is so proud of me for sticking with it. Some tips to make it work, log your food every day and every bite and use the message boards and friends here for inspiration. Congratulations on making the decision to change and well wishes to you on your journey.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Just take some time to browse the success stories! You will see that so many people here have accomplished amazing losses! You can do this! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, I gotta say this site is more then calorie counting and tracking exercise! Ive made some amazing supportive friends from here. The 1st day is the hardest but if you surround yourself with people doing the same as you, its alot easier =)

All are welcome to add me =D
    Good Luck!
  • Austings
    Austings Posts: 2
    Options
    You can do it!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I started one day at 379 so I have been there. Stay the course don't expect it over night and just keep working at it. Before you know it a year will pass and you will be in better shape and healthier. Just keep working it =)
  • jennla32
    jennla32 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose 100lbs overnight! Educated yourself, TRACK, and it'll all fall into place! You can do this, and everyone here can help you!!! Congrats on joining!!!!!!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    ~smiles~... Hello, welcome and congratulations on taking your first step.

Remember not to beat yourself up over slip ups, this is about changing the way you live and eat and that's going to take practice. Also remember that you didn't put the weight on all at once, so it's not going to come off all at once. Try to prepare yourself for the long haul. Don't attach your success only to a number on a scale, the scale can be a fickle thing. Use it, but fie other ways of measuring your successes.

MFP is a great place. You'll find wonderful people and advice here... even though it can sometimes be confusing as heck.
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options
    Welcome! Like everyone else has mentioned you've made a great first step and this place is great! Very supportive, lots of info, and tracking your food will help you SO MUCH! It's been invaluable to me and my weight loss, and I still have a long way to go.

The best advice I can give, is be patient. You will get very impatient and want it to fall off, just remember it didn't go on that quickly and taking it off is lots of dedication and work, but it is doable, there are many here to prove that!

Good luck, you're going to do great!
  • ChelleFeegan
    ChelleFeegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Welcome

This is my first proper week as well and already I feel much more positive about it, just by coming on the community.

:)
  • Imaclown
    Imaclown Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this sight, I have done Weight Watchers and I know it works, I lost 30 lbs on it and kelp it off for a couple years, but then I got slack and put the 30 lbs back on, I know I can loose it but it isn't going to be easy. It is always harder a second time around. I use to enjoy walking and would quite a bit, I know that helped me keep weight off and loose weight. I have gotten where I don't get out like that anymore. I know I am going to have to make myself. I want to make that change. I want to start today.
  • suz827
    suz827 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Starting...again....over 300. At least we are trying to do something. We will take one step at a time. It will happen! :smile:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is hard work and just because it is hard work doesn't mean it is impossible. Mind over matter. You can accomplish anything when you sent your mind to and only YOU can dictate what you are going to put in your mouth and when you decide to workout.
    Weight loss is a very slow process. You will have your ups and downs, your bad days, your good days, and everything in between.

Really there are no room for excuses. Accountability and responsibility starts today. Read your nutritional labels and log everything you lick, bite, and eat and when you work out. Be assertive and on top of your game.

Working out will suck when you first start. But it will only get easier and easier until you create a routine and stick to it. I remember only being able to run for ten minutes at a time and now I can run for an hour and half. Keep doing it.

Most importantly, use MFP as a tool to HELP you. No one on here can wave a wand over your head and you lose weight. It is HARD work. Just by logging on to MFP doesn't mean that you will automatically lose weight, there is a lot more involved.

Also, DO IT FOR YOURSELF and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.

Best of luck to you with your transformation.
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Welcome. My starting weight was about the same (388). I am 11 weeks in, and have so far lost 16 pounds. There WILL be ups and downs. There will be weigh in days where the scale goes up, but don't let it discourage you. As long as you know you are doing the right things, then it will come off. There will be days that you feel you can't get out there and excersize or that you can't do what everyone else is doing. Do what you can. Push yourself, but not too hard. You don't want an injury. Add friends (you can add me if you like). The daily encouragement is all that keeps me going some days.

It will take time. A LONG time. At my current rate of lose, I am looking at 2 3/4 years before I reach my ultimate goal weight. It seems overwhelming sometimes. But I can work hard and be where I want to be in 3 years, or I can do nothing and be where I am, or higher, in 3 years. Either way, 3 years will have passed.

You can do it.
  • Maiello1970
    Maiello1970 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!! You took the biggest step so far! Feel free to add me.... I started out at 280 before joining MFP, but i gave myself the 100 pound loss task, and i am halfway there. This site is amazing, very helpful and supportive. Let's do it!!!! It's going to take time, but as long as you keep moving forward its all good!