Pool Exercise? TIps and Ideas?

Options
I joined a gym with the a pool because I have knee and ankle problems and the doctor said it would be good to work out in the pool. What can I do? I know swim but what else? Also, I don't know the proper form to swimming so would I be wasting my time? I would love to learn alot more about pol exercises

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Simply swimming is good enough exercises. Generally people just do laps back and forth. Even leisure activities in the pool offer more calorie burn than the average walk.

If you are looking for variation, try learning the different types of strokes and do several laps with each.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a water aerobics class, you should definitely join it! I love it! The main thing is just to keep moving. You can get yourself some water dumbells too. The faster you move in the water, the more you get out of your workout. I also run in the water in the lanes, which is a major workout in my opinion. You can do jumping jacks, leap frogs, lunges, all kinds of things. Google "water exercises" for loads of ideas. Good luck!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but being in the pool still hurts my knee because it pulls it at weird angles sometimes. I also feel like I'm not getting that good of a work out. I'm not a good swimmer. I need to learn to breathe correctly. I do a lap and I have to stop to breathe.

I got a book from the library that teaches you how to swim different strokes. It shows common mistakes peole do etc. It also has an exercise plan. I'm going to give it a shot.
  • karamaye
    karamaye Posts: 14
    Options
    I swim as my primary means of exercise! I do 10 laps of freestyle. 10 laps of breast stroke 10 laps of side stroke and then 10 of freestyle and 10 of breast again. Then I tread water in the deep end (if you have one)

One awesome other exercise to do is to "run" laps if it's shallow enough. You'll be surprised at how slow you go but it's great exercise!

I also do crunches as well. Hold on to the side of the pool in a section that is deeper than you. Cross your ankles and start with your toes pointing down. Then with your abs bring your knees up to you chest using your hands just as balance- keeping your body still while your abs pull up your legs! Very effective! I do 2 sets of 30 and I feel it the next day but during the exercise- it's not so bad!

Hope this helps! I'm sure you'll find that you end up loving the pool! It's such great exercise!
  • ChassityDawn
    Options
    Thanks guys! Def stil open for more ideas though
  • rustythezippergirl
    Options
    my favorite, and it's doing the trick for my non-existent chest muscles and flabby wings (back of the arms) and thighs, are what i call SNOW ANGELS. fully extending my arms over my head til i feel the pull in the shoulders/chest and returning to my sides, legs, too. the cool thing is [my pool is pretty short, only about five strokes and you've hit the opposite end] snow angels pretty much keep you in one place.

i also do The TWIST, if you don't remember it, check out **** clark in the 60s. lol suck in your gut, and twist again like you did last summer.

I do DIPS, on the steps. sitting on the second step, i put my hands behind me on the first step and then raise and lower my body out of the water. i did about six when i started and now up to 20+.

Similarly, i do "PUSHUPS" on the ladder. facing the ladder i put my hands on the top step and lift my body as high as i can and then ease down. another one that was so hard 6 weeks ago, now doing 20+.

i do LUNGES in chest deep water, taking a breath between each lunge.

breaststroke and backstroke are pulling my, ahem, assets back up to where they were ten years ago. i call it the perky perk.

oh yeah: i have a crappy knee, it clicks and hurts when i go up stairs. i checked out a chiropractor and one of the better things you can do for this lazy tendon problem, is mermaid kicks, just dropping your feet about 6-8" inches and return. works the inner tendon. you can do this sitting. you can do it on dry land with a light weight on your ankle.

i love doing all this in the pool: no sweat!

rusty