My Favorite De-motivational Motivators

A few of my favorite things and why when stupid people say them after noticing my weight loss:

1. Did you have the gastric or the lap band? Neither, but thank you for noticing my weight loss and contributing it to an invasive surgical procedure.

2. Poor thing, are you sick? Usually this is asked of someone else and that other friend / co worker tells me that person asked that question of them. Nope, just sick of stupid people.

3. You are going to gain it all right back like any other diet? ....ummm... did I say I was on a diet ?

I get these things said to me more often than I did at 50lbs lost then at 100 etc but man it feels good. The best by far though is the -

4. So what is your secret? Oh it is very simple (bust out my phone and fire up mfp) you see this is a great tool that helps you track what you are eating, and you know what not to eat and to make better food / exercise choices by being on top of your actual diet.

Oh so it is a diet.

No, wrong choice of words sorry it is a lifestyle change.

So no pills ?

No, not really.

Then I get the blankest stare, like the 100 yard stare and usually a comment like "I dont want to be tied down to some app all day: then within 5 minutes I see them access their phone and check facebook / email / text.

Yes you wouldnt want that...

Any ways to all the mfpers - keep it up - these sorts of thing will only bring you up because in the end you will find that when someone is trying to drown you it is usually because they themselves have nothing else to hold onto !

Replies

• HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Congrats you look great!!

When I tell people about MFP, some act thankful but never join. Others act shocked like there is not some magic pill, or that tracking food is such hard work!!

• 4. So what is your secret? Oh it is very simple (bust out my phone and fire up mfp) you see this is a great tool that helps you track what you are eating, and you know what not to eat and to make better food / exercise choices by being on top of your actual diet.

Oh so it is a diet.

So no pills ?

No, not really.

Then I get the blankest stare, like the 100 yard stare and usually a comment like "I dont want to be tied down to some app all day: then within 5 minutes I see them access their phone and check facebook / email / text.

This made me laugh only because I've had it happen a few times now!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Nice post! Lol, when people ask my secret I say "there are actully 2 things I do and that's it" then they probably think to themselfs "2 things!? That's not bad, I can do 2 things" then i tell them, "the 2 things are...eat right, and work out. That's it!" they look disappointed lol, like I was going to say "you take this pill, and drink this drink and presto!!!" or something lol
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Nice post :smile:

I've not lost enough to get comments yet, but a few people who I've told about MFP don't seem to get it.

Come on people, it's only like writing down everything you eat, drink and any exercise you do, it's not that hard to comprehend, surely?
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    It is the fact that it is not a quick fix and they already know dieting and exercising doesn't work for them because they have tried all the fad diet and as seen on tv work out contraptions
  • I was thinking about the "So, what's your secret" question the other day... I'll admit I'm guilty of asking, but the fact is that most people don't realize WHAT they are putting into their bodies so they assume a few days or couple weeks of a fad diet isn't working.

#1-- Losing weight and keeping it off takes time. The "secret" is eating the portions and being patient.

And

#2-- MFP is THE BEST app ever. I find myself on it more than facebook! I did NOT realize how much I was putting into my body-- junk AND calories. I think most people don't realize how fast junk food and things can add.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    SO AWESOME! I can't wait for people to start asking me questions about what drugs I'm taking and if they can see my scars from the surgery! hahahahaha
  • Cold_Steel
    SO AWESOME! I can't wait for people to start asking me questions about what drugs I'm taking and if they can see my scars from the surgery! hahahahaha

Doesn't that sound motivating ?
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Good stuff.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    You're Awesome...... So inspiring :)
  • Cold_Steel
    You're Awesome...... So inspiring :)

Thanks
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    A few of my favorite things and why when stupid people say them after noticing my weight loss:

1. Did you have the gastric or the lap band? Neither, but thank you for noticing my weight loss and contributing it to an invasive surgical procedure.

2. Poor thing, are you sick? Usually this is asked of someone else and that other friend / co worker tells me that person asked that question of them. Nope, just sick of stupid people.

3. You are going to gain it all right back like any other diet? ....ummm... did I say I was on a diet ?

I get these things said to me more often than I did at 50lbs lost then at 100 etc but man it feels good. The best by far though is the -

4. So what is your secret? Oh it is very simple (bust out my phone and fire up mfp) you see this is a great tool that helps you track what you are eating, and you know what not to eat and to make better food / exercise choices by being on top of your actual diet.

Oh so it is a diet.

So no pills ?

No, not really.

Any ways to all the mfpers - keep it up - these sorts of thing will only bring you up because in the end you will find that when someone is trying to drown you it is usually because they themselves have nothing else to hold onto !

LOL..facebook..yep.