low in calories but filling meals

Options
what are some good breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack ideas that are low in calories yet filling?
i've been having a hard time staying in my calorie budget because i can't ever find anything that is low but filling
so i always end up over eating.
help?

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For lunch right now I'm eating gluten free rice noodles with 1/2 package Kraft Dinner cheese sauce, 75g chopped broccoli, 1/2 can tuna and just a splash of milk. I can't eat regular KD because I can't eat gluten but this tastes exactly the same, huge serving and only 387 calories I believe
  • coffeemom3boys
    coffeemom3boys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I usually like to eat eggs for breakfast so I make an egg sandwich with whole wheat bread, one egg, two egg whites, 1/2 sl. low fat american cheese and a little low carb ketchup. Sometimes I add some warmed up deli ham or turkey breakfast sausage. This morning I had greek vanilla yogurt with 1 cup frozen berries (thawed) and 1/2 cup of granola with a couple packets of splenda to sweeten the berries and that was filling. Oatmeal is a good option (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead of milk). Just make sure you have a good snack to eat half way to lunch. Try eating whole wheat, protien, and fruit it keeps me satisfied.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Veggies with Hummus. Nuts fill me up but they are calorie dense.Quinoa is great, although it is 170 calories for about a cup, it is so filling. Greek yogurt!!!!! One of my favorites and keeps you full. I like the plain non fat and add a bit of honey, delicious. Eggs are great for breakfast. An omelette with red pepper and a laughing cow cheese wedge. I eat anywhere between 1500 and 1900 calories but you can look at my diary for some ideas :)
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I've started eating overnight oats. Add 1/2 cup oats to a container, add 1 cup milk, some fruit, I add 1 tbsp honey and put the lid on, shake and refrigerate overnight. In the morning just grab and eat :)
    Lunch I normally eat 2 eggs and a turkey sausage. Lots of protein and very filling.
    Snacks this week: baby carrots, cheese string, Astro balkan style vanilla yogurt (I LOOOOVE this yogurt, even bought one container of caramel flavor...amazing.) Also apples and bananas. (w/ or w/o PB)
    I also love quesadillas. 1 tortilla, spread on 1/4 cup salsa, sprinkle 1 oz shredded cheese. Fold in half. Yummy, and only 275 calories. You can also add meat to this.
  • jenbreithaupt
    Options
    I work from 5 am to 5 pm so I make my meals the night before. Egg white omlete (6 eggs) with 4 oz ground turkey. Add in a few green onions, bell pepper and a tomatoe if you like veggies. Super protein pump!!!! Warm up in open top container with a few paper towels over it in a microwave, very slowly to keep it from getting rubbery. like 20 sec at a time with a break between, flipping it over each time.
  • miminomuumuu
    Options
    Try peanut butter and jelly on a flavored rice cake for breakfast - it's pretty good and rice cakes are filling. I've been trying to drink water before I eat, or while I'm eating because I have 'feeling-full' issues too. You'll find something that works for you! :wink:
  • vtachycardia
    vtachycardia Posts: 374
    Options
    Current favourite for breakfast or just to snack on.

40g porridge oats
    20g wheatgerm
    40g sultanas
    15g peanut butter
    700ml water

whisk then microwave for 3 minutes, whisk then 2 minutes microwave. Like to eat it cold from the fridge and like it more fluid than solid as the fluidity provides a greater feeling of fullness.

Quick very low calorie meal - I use it as snack and get 4 portions at about 200g per portion for 100 calories

tin butter beans
    150g baby potatoes (sliced,skin on)
    120g frozen spinach
    2 organic chicken stock cubes
    20g dried enugreek leaf (fenugreek powder if you cannot get leaf) (kasorri methi) - choose your own flavouring does not really matter but fenugreek goes well with potato and spinach
    5g hot chilli powder
    500ml cold water

Bring to boil in a pan, simmer for 15minutes or potatoes cooked
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge veggie fan, but they are filling and I do like them in some dishes.

Chicken sausage (or just plain chicken breast) with lots of pepper strips. I like to season with cumin and hot sauce. Sometimes I'll add some black beans for bulk.

For sides, sometimes I'll use roasted broccoli, which you could do in a foil bag on the grill outside if needed. Some oil and garlic and you're good to go.
  • gg0106
    gg0106 Posts: 6
    Options
    Egg Beaters omelet: chopped onions, chopped green peppers, some rotel tomatoes, a hand full of spinish. Add a little water and cover so the spinish wilts. When the moisture is gone, add egg beaters to cover, Salt and pepper. Sometimes I ad tobascp sauce. You can also add some meat if you want...Crab, chicken,etc. Without the meat, this is about 135 calories.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Celery with cottage cheese or PB, Greek yoghurt with berries and nuts, scrambled egg on toast, chicken
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    "BUMP" for ideas!
  • meljofield
    meljofield Posts: 79
    Options
    My new favorite "salad". Cottage cheese with diced fresh tomato, cucumber, onion, salt & pepper to taste. Very refreshing and about 100 calories for 1/2 cup of cottage cheese plus veggies.
  • gg0106
    gg0106 Posts: 6
    Options
    eggbeaters omelet with onion, bell pepper, rotel tomatos and spinish. Filling and about 135 calories.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my fav options:

Snacks:
    Hummus with Cucumber slices
    Strawberries
    Laughing Cow Light Swiss wedge
    Glass of light Silk (soymilk)
    Dark chocolate chips
    cottage cheese (light)
    FiberOne bars and brownies (variety of calorie options)
    kale chips with seasoning
    Protein shake (100% Natural Whey is my choice)

Meals:
    Boca Burger (seasoned with Mexican type seasonings) with salsa on a light wheat bun/wrapped in lettuce (add avocado too)
    Sandwich on light wheat bread (laughing cow wedge, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, avocado, low fat ham)
    Salads
    Stouffer French Bread pizza (Grilled Vegetable)
    Fish (baked) with veggies
    Bagel Thins Everything Bagel sandwich with Laughing Cow Wedge and Scramble Eggs (1 real and 1 Egg Beater)
    Protein Shakes (see above)

ETA: Soup!
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    Here are some VERY EASY, minimal preparation meals I eat when I'm in a hurry and don't have many calories.

Morning star veggie burgers are usually under 120 cals/ burger and 2 of them are very filling

For breakfast, I've been eating 1 cup of eggbeaters (in the carton) and a large summer squash fried in non stick cooking spray. VERY low calorie, and adding some oatmeal makes it even better for an extra 150 cals

Heart healthy low sodium campbells chunky soups - I like the sirloin burger soup and the split pea and ham. You can eat the entire can for like 180 cals (and its a BIG can)
  • wva2101
    wva2101 Posts: 1
    Options
    My new favorite thing to munch on when I want something crunchy or just to pick at are raw snap peas. 10 of them is only 14 calories and they are kind of sweet too.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so I can't make suggestions based on what you eat now. If you'd consider opening it, I know I and many others would suggest alternatives to what you have been eating.

Having said that, protein and fat will curb hunger the most. Eating some chicken prepared in a healthy manner (i.e. not deep fried) and a small piece of cheese will stop hunger fairly quickly.

If you're looking for the full feeling, the best suggestion would be to eat a lot of veggies. 2 cups of steamed broccoli or cauliflower can do wonders towards making you feel full on very low cals (just watch how much butter you add).

Another common thing that works well is to drink a glass or two of water (1-2 cups) about 20-30 minutes before eating. You'd be surprised at the difference it can make.